Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Joshua adara

Question low carb + intermittent fasting

Hello i want to try intermittent fasting for weight loss. Right now i take medication for A.D.D. that completely kills my appetite so i figured intermittent fasting would be a good choice. but anyhow i wanted to know if implementing a low carbohydrate diet along with intermittent fasting would provide faster weight loss than say either by themselves.
Joshua adara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Eating less is the key. Insulin sensitivity and control plays a role, but carbs don't make you fat alone.

Read this blogpost today from lean gains (shirtless dude alert. I guess that makes it's not w/f/s): http://leangains.blogspot.com/

And for the record, I tend to be more of a low carb leaning person (certainly not high carb).

What are your numbers like in terms of height, weight, body comp. and training?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Eating less is the key. Insulin sensitivity and control plays a role, but carbs don't make you fat alone.
Yep.

Low levels of insulin help with fat mobilization, and both IF and LC help lower insulin levels. If total caloric intake is high, however, your body will just plop that mobilized fat where it came from.

I personally find IF + LC helps with appetite control on low calorie eating.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Derek Weaver

Arien,
Spot on. I find that I lean out the easiest and fastest when getting ketogenic, but it's mainly due to not eating less.

Martin (among others) made a good point in the hunger blunting effect of low carb eating.

I'd rather control overall portions and not completely suck at performance though. I learned that the hard way recently.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I'd rather control overall portions and not completely suck at performance though. I learned that the hard way recently.
And as Martin says, for better performance, you can stick your carbs postworkout where they do very little harm to fat loss. That can be a good strategy for keeping performance reasonable without sacrificing insulin sensitivity or the predisposition to fat burning that LC and IF give you, since the carbs are going to preferentially go to glycogen storage.

As for reduced performance, I like a fast and furious fat loss cycle accepting some reduced performance. That doesn't work so well if you have a lot to lose, however.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Very true Arien.

I went just shy of RFL to get things moving a few weeks back. I feel like I'm still recovering physiologically.

I went super keto/psmf, into a Flexible approach with majority of carbs pwo. Now on a short break and back into it after a week or two depending on how I'm feeling. Not sure I am lean enough to warrant a full 2 week break.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua adara View Post
Hello i want to try intermittent fasting for weight loss. Right now i take medication for A.D.D. that completely kills my appetite so i figured intermittent fasting would be a good choice. but anyhow i wanted to know if implementing a low carbohydrate diet along with intermittent fasting would provide faster weight loss than say either by themselves.
Post your numbers and your goals first.

Search the nutrition forum for fat adaptation.

Read the "popular articles" on MOD's blog: http://www.theiflife.com/

I say this because we need more background. The more people I talk to about nutrition, the more I realize that people have very different ideas of what constitutes low carb diets. Are you talking low total carbs, low high-GI carbs, no grains? The Zone is considered low-carb (by American standards), but it's a bit high for my tastes. You need to understand these things before you implement them.

How long have you been taking your meds? The appetite supressing effect of ritalin or adderall usually wears off after a few months. It stays with some people much longer. Regardless, that's not a reason to IF. Once you adjust, the fat adaptation and increased insulin sensitivity take care of your appetite for you.

Here is a simplistic way of looking at things:
* protein supports muscles mass (consume enough protein to support the mass that you want to carry)
* carbs support activity
* fat supports recovery
Adjust accordingly. Things don't work exactly like this, but this will get you started. It's a lifestyle. You don't need any special cycles or supplements to jump start this.

Start IFing 14-16 hours a couple days a week. Take fruits and proteins PWO. For everything else, take protein+fat or protein+fat+greens. That's really it.

To answer your original question...of course.