Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I think you are thinking of different grips than what I am referring to. Take a look at the second link I posted above regarding the basic grips I had in mind. I don't see how dumping with those would do anything because they aren't attached to the bar.
My mistake, I only checked the first link. Those were high bar dowel grips, which can seize up on you when you're either either clenching the bar too tightly, or going very fast with a grip that doesn't fit you right. If you're on a high bar, that'll leave you with broken wrists. On an Olympic bar, it'd just yank you forward into it as you dumped, I figure. I've never actually seen or experienced this (thankfully), but I was warned very strongly to not use my ring grips on high bar, since they are made differently, and would increase the odds of having that problem. The second link would be okay... But I'd go with Steve's suggestion first.

Also, I'm fully aware that lifting straps are an entirely different thing.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Brian Lawyer

OK Patrick, You are forgiven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
My mistake, I only checked the first link. Those were high bar dowel grips, which can seize up on you when you're either either clenching the bar too tightly, or going very fast with a grip that doesn't fit you right. If you're on a high bar, that'll leave you with broken wrists. On an Olympic bar, it'd just yank you forward into it as you dumped, I figure. I've never actually seen or experienced this (thankfully), but I was warned very strongly to not use my ring grips on high bar, since they are made differently, and would increase the odds of having that problem. The second link would be okay... But I'd go with Steve's suggestion first.

Also, I'm fully aware that lifting straps are an entirely different thing.