Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Neill Smith

I'm a big CLC fan also, but I've done it Lyle's way. That would be less frequent, bigger carb loads relative to what you're contemplating. Try scheduling strength workouts the day after a cheat dinner. Working out about 12 hours after starting a carb load always felt great for me.

PSMF = Protein Sparing Modified Fast
EOD = End of Day
Neill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
Gittit Shwartz

I think in this context EOD=Every Other Day.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Derek Weaver

Yup, EOD= every other day. PSMF, protein sparing modified fast.

Neill,
The EOD thread at Lyle's forum is one of Lyle's ways right? I know that he suggests free meals and refeeds both take place in the evening on a day where you've trained with decent volume/intensity (I think UD 2.0 is certainly volume for full depletion).
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Neill Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Neill,
The EOD thread at Lyle's forum is one of Lyle's ways right? I know that he suggests free meals and refeeds both take place in the evening on a day where you've trained with decent volume/intensity (I think UD 2.0 is certainly volume for full depletion).
Unfortunately I'm only familiar with UD 2.0 and Rapid Fat Loss. I read some of the thread and he seems to endorse the EOD approach, but I don't think he's written about it.
Neill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

Yeah, more discussion on his forum I guess with the EOD approach.

I've seen him comment quite a bit on refeeds and the quantity and frequency. Generally, more often as one gets leaner, take 'em as high as possible and still get leaner.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #16
Jane Michel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
I'm gonna start playing with carb cycling. It appears that many people do higher carb about every 3 days. My question is how much higher do you guys raise it? I generally intake ~60-100g of carbs a day (haven't measured food for several months, but this is my guess now). would 2x carbs be a normal amount on a high carb day? i'd probably just eat half or a whole sweet potato on my high carb days in addition to what i normally do.

my goal - to see if i can reduce binge urges. i notice that if i have lower carb intake for too many days, then when it comes time for a necessary cheat day, i might overdue it. times when i've naturally eaten a somewhat cycled carb intake, i don't even think of having cheat days. i'd rather see if a carb cycle can balance out my brain so that i don't get terrible urges to bake a cake on saturday nights...for only myself...hah
let me know if this works. i get terrible urges to eat a whole cake or a few bags of chips every 2 weeks!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #17
Gittit Shwartz

Alicia, it's been working great for me. I do around 100g carbs on one day, 30-60 on five days, and one day I don't count (probably don't even reach 100g... I'm not a big carb eater). I do try to stick to Paleo choices though.
I resisted the idea for a long time (didn't think I needed carbs at my level of bodyfat and low training volume) but I'm having very clear positive results in terms of fat loss AND recovery. Compliance is easy too.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I've seen him comment quite a bit on refeeds and the quantity and frequency. Generally, more often as one gets leaner, take 'em as high as possible and still get leaner.
That's the key....getting lean first....then increasing the frequency of refeeds, otherwise you just get fatter. Nothing beats a Margaritta and fajita refeed fest and feeling leaner the next day.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
Jane Michel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittit Shwartz View Post
Alicia, it's been working great for me. I do around 100g carbs on one day, 30-60 on five days, and one day I don't count (probably don't even reach 100g... I'm not a big carb eater). I do try to stick to Paleo choices though.
I resisted the idea for a long time (didn't think I needed carbs at my level of bodyfat and low training volume) but I'm having very clear positive results in terms of fat loss AND recovery. Compliance is easy too.
hmm sounds good gittit. do you WAM then on those 6 days? does it get rid of PMS cravings as well?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
That's the key....getting lean first....then increasing the frequency of refeeds, otherwise you just get fatter. Nothing beats a Margaritta and fajita refeed fest and feeling leaner the next day.
Yup, every day refeeds, or even EOD aren't a good idea if somone's fat.

The biggest issue with determining the frequency and size of refeeds seems to be honesty with oneself in regards to level of leanness. Whether lean enough or not even close, there's usually some dysmorphia going on.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Grissim Connery
This message has been deleted by Grissim Connery.