Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 02-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Stephen Brown

The title of the thread ensures combative responses.
Stephen Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
The title of the thread ensures combative responses.
It does, and judging from what I've seen Martin write in a couple of forum discussions, it doesn't seem that he's got a problem with that.

Good to see Venuto, Martin, Lyle and Aragon mix it up in there.

I figured Lyle would be there as this kind of stuff is up his alley.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
John Haydon Boatner

IS martin saying you should low carb only if you don't IF and follow the whole eat every 3-4 hours rule? Or does it all just not matter at the end of the day?
John Haydon Boatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haydon Boatner View Post
IS martin saying you should low carb only if you don't IF and follow the whole eat every 3-4 hours rule? Or does it all just not matter at the end of the day?
I'm reading him saying that low carb works, but that other things work too, and that anyone who says that low carb is the only way to lose weight or that any carb intake creates fat is a low carb Taliban.

That's why my comment was that it was mostly smoke from burning strawmen. Of course, there were some low carb Taliban jumping in and fueling the fire as well on the thread.

I don't think any of the big names who jumped on the thread disputed that low carb is a useful tool for weight management or fat loss.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
John Haydon Boatner

well what about for weight gain. Im under the impression that trying to gain with IF is pretty muc impossible and one has to eat more mealswith more carbs to makegains. Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haydon Boatner View Post
well what about for weight gain. Im under the impression that trying to gain with IF is pretty muc impossible and one has to eat more mealswith more carbs to makegains. Thoughts?
Well, you can gain weight with IF, if you are able to devote much of your eating phase sitting down and eating and not doing much else. Basically, if you want to gain a bunch of mass quickly, IF is not a smart way to go because it's very difficult to eat that much within a shortened time span. If you wish to go the slow route, like maybe a few lbs over the course of many months, then IF is feasible for gaining weight.

As far as eating more carbs to gain weight goes, I believe that's false. If you look at the Anabolic Diet, you can see why. As long as you eat only enough carbs for glycogen replenishment, you can eat a bunch of protein and fat to gain weight. This, of course, is also difficult to do. Carbs can be easy calories. Unless you want to sip on some oils, calories don't come as easy with exclusively fat and protein. Eating a lot of nuts, fish, and avocados will also entail a lot more carbs than you might think. If you're mass gaining, you probably wouldn't have to worry about it.

Anyways, drinking a bunch of milk a day is probably the easiest way to gain muscle mass. I think it mostly has to do with its mixture of whey and casein protein. It could also be due to the IGF-1 that's injected into the cows, but I believe many men have also gotten big and strong drinking organic raw milk.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #17
John Haydon Boatner

So I guess it just comes down to personal preference (and body response) in the end. Do what you feel best doing. Lol I am 118 at 5 10 right now so I think I'll hop off the carb phobic wagon and eat whatever (but still keep the foods whole and clean) and try to gain 0.5 to 1.0 lbs a week. Been doin around 2300 cals with about 170 grams protein and the rest made up of fats and carbs (higher carb on workout days, moderate-low on rest days with higher fat).

May try to resume IF for lean gains once I get some weight on and resolve constipation problems/cold limbs.