Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #41
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
And why should we? Between your individual physical characteristics, geography, and demographics, you can forsee 80% of the things (even the really weird ones) that might happen to you.

It's fine to do something because you like it, and a lot of people like CF. For true GPP, it's tough to beat. But how many people need true GPP? Most people tell themselves they're preparing for "everything," when they're really in it for the abz.

Unless you truly need GPP for your job (a small portion of mil/spec ops, some fire, very few LEO) or are one of those people that DON'T need it for anything, you're going to be better off with a programming bias.
Oh, I agree with you 100%... I don't crossfit, and I probably will never crossfit. I did for a short time. But, I think crossfit's main contention is that true GPP is the goal of the CF.com workouts and LEO/Fire/Mil has been their prime market all along. The talk/QA given by Greg Glassman at the war college, at least the free preview bits (not a subscriber), were pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
Well, most people "need" biased programming like they need GPP. The rub is some people like one more than the other.
I agree, except strength and GPP both help me in day to day life, they aren't really necessary :P

I personally don't really like metcons too much, at all. I'd rather have good strength numbers and a few low level gymnastic skills than a 3 minute fran time or whatever. Just enough conditioning to be able to not be destroyed by lifting, and to be able to do normal daily things like running stairs or w/e without getting too winded

The really good things that have come out of crossfit for me personally are pointers to great sources of information that I'd never heard of before, introduction to oly lifting outside of power cleans, introduction to low level gymnastics outside of dips and chins, and introduction to kettlebell lifting.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 AM   #42
John Filippini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
The really good things that have come out of crossfit for me personally are pointers to great sources of information that I'd never heard of before, introduction to oly lifting outside of power cleans, introduction to low level gymnastics outside of dips and chins, and introduction to kettlebell lifting.
I agree, and I know pretty much everyone in oly lifting agrees as well, probably a lot of people in gymnastics and kettlebells too. Hardcore oly lifters may hate the form that CF teaches and the high rep oly workouts for time, but they can't deny the huge influx of membership and interest they've gotten as a benefit. A lot of my coaches give a lot of thanks to CF as something of a "gateway drug."
John Filippini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #43
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Filippini View Post
A lot of my coaches give a lot of thanks to CF as something of a "gateway drug."
Agreed.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #44
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Oh, I agree with you 100%... I don't crossfit, and I probably will never crossfit. I did for a short time. But, I think crossfit's main contention is that true GPP is the goal of the CF.com workouts and LEO/Fire/Mil has been their prime market all along. The talk/QA given by Greg Glassman at the war college, at least the free preview bits (not a subscriber), were pretty interesting
If you go to the CF Journal and find them they are free. I don't have CFJ and have watched them all.

It's actually a very good series.. pretty much clarified my "concept" of how Coach Glassman thinks of CF. I understand a lot more where he's coming from now.

That said, I agree with Gant (and have said it a lot). Most people don't "NEED" true GPP... it's those fire/police/mil/etc. guys that "truly" need it.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #45
Craig Brown

Agreed on the gateway...led me to a vast amount of what I do.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #46
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
That said, I agree with Gant (and have said it a lot). Most people don't "NEED" true GPP... it's those fire/police/mil/etc. guys that "truly" need it.
Most people don't really "need" to do much anything in life stressful....just comes down to what we enjoy doing. I think Ross said it best....if aliens attack I'm not going to try and pick up a 200lb rock to throw at them, I'm grabbing my shotgun...(or something like that).

If anyone can give me a situation in life of why I would even need to be able run 26.2 miles....then I might consider taking up marathons.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #47
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
If anyone can give me a situation in life of why I would even need to be able run 26.2 miles....then I might consider taking up marathons.
Word

And as to CF being a "gateway drug" to fitness.

I agree, it was definately mine, and I think for many that is its ultimate service and for the masses perhaps its greatest.

It introduced me to an exilerateing and creaative side to fitness.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #48
Garrett Smith

Thinking back, I recall that Pavel's PTTP, then KBs, were my gateways into this whole arena.

I always get a chuckle when I look back at who was at the 2nd TSC:
Pavel
Coach Burgener (hosting at his high school)
Josh Everett (winnah! and PMenu author)
Steve Cotter
Brett Jones
Stephane Rochet (another PMenu author and head university strength coach)
Myself

That would seem to be half the people there...I do know Tony Ducci got into CF as well later...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #49
Kevin Haynes

Sorry to barge in. I'm new to this site and think I've found a home, but have a newbie question. Other than the gymnastics work, I'm trying to figure out the difference between Gant's Hybrid and simply following the WOD on this site. As someone moving from doing CF for the last two years, I am glad to find some good alternative program.
Kevin Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #50
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Thinking back, I recall that Pavel's PTTP, then KBs, were my gateways into this whole arena.

I always get a chuckle when I look back at who was at the 2nd TSC:
Pavel
Coach Burgener (hosting at his high school)
Josh Everett (winnah! and PMenu author)
Steve Cotter
Brett Jones
Stephane Rochet (another PMenu author and head university strength coach)
Myself

That would seem to be half the people there...I do know Tony Ducci got into CF as well later...
Wow. I knew Josh Everett won the TSC, but I didn't know he competed against Brett Jones and Steve Cotter.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote