Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
Derek Maffett

The squats seemed legit enough to me. I'm just talking about getting used to butt-to-ankles and developing strength through the full ROM.

You definitely shouldn't be losing tension at the bottom of the squat. You should hit the bottom more or less softly and bounce right back up. Squatting in dive bomber mode is just going to get you hurt.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
The squats seemed legit enough to me.
Thanks Derek. Did you get my edit above about not stroking my ego...haha. I think I was typing that as you were typing your response.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
George Mounce

I can tell you all the soreness I had left when I quit stopping short of full depth and learned to use the stretch reflex correctly.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I agree 100% on a BS. I disagree 100% on a C&J or snatch.
I don't have enough experience with olympic lifting to know whether it matters how deep you squat for that... a clean or a snatch is as deep as it need to be and a squat is as deep as it needs to be. I'm not terribly proficient in either but I remember them as distinctly different lifts.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Personally, I am of the school of thought if a spotter places his hand on the bar it automatically doesn't count. He got pissed at me cause he was squatting and I didn't help him up with 185lbs. I just let him drop it on the pins.
Doesn't count for what? Are you getting paid for your reps?

Of course there is a big difference between the bro culture of cheat curls and bounced bench presses and legit safe spotting but I can tell you if someone pulled a stunt like that in in my gym, whether it was a 185 pound squat or a 405 squat they would be removed...quickly, permanently and quite a bit worse for wear.

I take spotting kind of seriously. I can honestly say the BIGGEST change in my training in the last year came from getting with a group of people that can A) spot competently and safely B) know that it's worth pushing to technical failure.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
glennpendlay

Brian,

For what its worth, I thought those squats were pretty darn good. Yeah, if you were in the gym with me, I would be encouraging you to get a bit more depth, but I wouldnt be worried too much about it. I also think that your hip flexor pain might go away a bit if you learn to utilize the stretch reflex a little more in the bottom. But really, nice squats.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
I also think that your hip flexor pain might go away a bit if you learn to utilize the stretch reflex a little more in the bottom. But really, nice squats.
Hey Glenn, What about the Shoes?? So any advice on utilizing the Stretch Reflex??

FWIW, I don't know if you have been following all the threads we have had going on this forum related to HBBS vs. LBBS, but I am changing over to HBBS from now on. I want to start getting in that nice deep upright torso position I always see pictures of on the CA WOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
I take spotting kind of seriously.
If you are purely doing sets across of 5 reps and your spotter touches that bar then to me that is the equivalent of a missed rep. Just like if you missed a snatch or C&J.

I should have qualified my HSO on "spotting" by saying that spotting is definitly a must for bench. Also, if you are specifically doing a workout that requires a spotter. For example, you intend to complete 5 reps of Bench plus 2 assisted reps.

But as strong as my buddy Tony is, you really think he would have been much help getting 360lbs off of me if I blew out a knee or a quad or something.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
Brian Lawyer

Default Squat Stance Width

To all contributors:
Robert and Dave both think I could go a little wider for the LBBS. I value Robert's opinion on LBBS because I know he has been to Rip's Seminar before and has been around Crossfit for a while.

My thoughts are this wider stance would be most beneficial with the LBBS and I should stick with my shoulder width stance for Olympic lifting purposes. On the other hand, should I try kicking out my stance a little bit on HBBS and Front squats to see if that helps my hip flexor problems.

Here are the relevant post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Stance for the Low bar definitely needs to be wider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
...lack of hip flexibility to really open up on the low bar style is taking about 30-40 pounds away from you. . ...a little hip work and wider stance would benefit me as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Only reason I wouldn't want to try a wider stance is because right now I only have two foot positions, pulling and recieving. Pulling = feet under hips, Recieving (squatting) = feet at shoulder width. I had a problem for the longest time of recieving the clean and snatch in too wide of a position so I definitly don't want to do anything to exagerate that problem.
[/url].
Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
Dave Van Skike

i won't belabor the point..i'm not talking about "assisted reps" i don't know anyone who actually does that..having good spotter will allow you to push yourself in ways you won't without one. Yes, having someone there to take 25-50 pounds off if you're on the verge of getting stapled is a huge advantage.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #20
Aaron Gainer

Whatever your full depth is for a high bar squat with an empty bar, it should be duplicated on the heavier lifts. As long as your as low as your flexibility allows and not stopping short of rom, then its a legit squat!!!

NSCA C.S.C.S
Aaron Gainer is offline   Reply With Quote