Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
Frank Needham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Frank on your SS plan what are you using for rest periods? 1 min? 3 min? more?
Mike, right now I'm going sold out all the way through but honestly that would be coz I'm not hitting heavy weights just yet. My 5mr for each exercise right now is squat 195, bench 175, dead 230, press 120, squat power clean 125. I'm finishing in 45 mins on average so I'm doing about 1 set every 2 min. If I've got a few minutes time left I'll do dips or pulls.

John, thanks and it sure would be interesting to hear about some of your notes on the program.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
jerry.mobbs

Frank

I also started the 5*5 in January. New Years Resolution!

I'm doing 3 mins total (work+rest) for Squat, Dead, Power Clean and 2 mins for Bench and Press.

Doing 1 SS workout in every 4 day CF cycle. I just do the SS work out instead of something like Front Squat 1,1,1,1,1,

How about comparing progress after every month?

My max 5*5 numbers are close to yours.
Squat 198
Bench 154
Dead 236
Press 115
Power Clean 136

Jerry
jerry.mobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:34 AM   #13
Coach Rutherford

J.V.'s experience with the template is a good summary of the conversation. He said that everyone who uses it (and survives) sets personal records. The challenge is in managing the stresses with focus on restoration.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
Rick Deckart
Banned

Thanks for the link, I knew the template from Practical Programming but wasn't aware that a full excel template did exist.

No offense but unless you are very good in snatches and clean and jerks I think you would be much better served with a less taxing program. Cost benefit ratio would be much better IMO. After all, although this was used with beginners, it is really a very advanced program for advanced athletes who have very good technique in the classical lifts and the appropriate years of training history to cope with the involved stress.

Just so to be clear, I think a beginner could follow such a template successfully, but before I would try something like this I would stay a couple of month on the WFW progam outlined in the next paragraph, or do Mike Burgeners WOD for two or three month. After that you should have a pretty good idea what your 1RM in the snatch and clean and jerk is and consistency in both lifts as well. If you technique is mediocre I think you should abstain from the HFM.

Regards.

Peter

Last edited by Rick Deckart : 01-17-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
Frank Needham

Thanks for the advice but I jump in with both feet when I see something I like, and I like the looks of that program.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
Elliot Royce

Frank:

Gung ho is good but keep an eye out for tendonitis and technique. I started out with Jim Schmidtz's (US Olympic coach) program of 5x5 on most of the Olympic lifts 3x per week, put the weight up quickly, and ended with major tendonitis.

Good luck and keep us posted. I've asked my coach to give me a beginner's program. He just set the New England masters' records for his age: 110kg snatch and 157kg c&j. He's going for the world record in his age group on the C&J. Pretty impressive, in my mind.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #17
Rick Deckart
Banned

Frank,

good luck with the program. My main concern still is that I don't believe that half a year of SS is proper preparation for an olympic lifting peaking cycle. I don't not know your training history, but unless you trained the classical lifts (snatch/clean+jerk) and have some basic skill and consistency in them I frankly think it is wasted time to start something like this...

Of course I could be wrong but chances are that you would make far greater gains with less stress following a different routine at this time in your training. You can always start such a routine after achieving some consistency in the olympic lifts.

Regards,

Peter
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #18
Frank Needham

I read these responses this am but no time to respond and thought about them today. Thoughtful posts such as given deserve a thoughtful answer. So, my intent, which I might not have very fully communicated, is to take a run at the program once done with 6 months of SS. Knowing that I am not a gifted O lifter (yet), I will start the lifts at points that guarantee that I can make it through the 6 weeks and will be evaluating my progress througout very closely. Just for good measure I think I'll tape some of it and post my attempts, heavily edited of course. If I bomb, so be it, I'll just reset and have at it again. If that doesn't seem to be an option at that point I'll prolly go to doing the Starr intermediate 5x5 as shown in this link:
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm
Old 01-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #19
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
You bet Coach. As a matter of fact I was gonna broach the subject of workout logs here on the boards. Maybe I'll bring this up with Robb to see what he thinks.

If you don't mind could you share the details of your conversation with the Doc?
I'd love to do some logs...I will talk to Greg about what would be involved. I have had an idea about some type of statistical analysis associated with a training log...how much efficiency does one experience from one program or another? One can track it as % change per week, or as a function of time invested (total workout) tonnage...I think some interesting stuff is lurking there but it would be hard to get that put together.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Frank Needham

Robb, I shot you a real short email on keeping logs here as well. I'm looking forward to see what you have in mind.