Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
Garrett Smith

Greg, my issue with BBQ is the sauce...tomatoes and peppers...good stuff, but I'm having to avoid exercise right now because I splurged the other night on the same things in Mexican food at my brother's birthday dinner.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Greg, my issue with BBQ is the sauce...tomatoes and peppers...good stuff, but I'm having to avoid exercise right now because I splurged the other night on the same things in Mexican food at my brother's birthday dinner.
Garrett, do you find that you've become extremely sensitive to peppers and tomatoes since eliminating them? I used to eat quite frequently, and now balloon up instantly from either of those 2 foods. I can hardly grip a bar my hands get so swollen.
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Jordan,
I have noticed an increased sensitivity in certain ways, less in others. I think part of it is that I've gotten so used to feeling better in general that the way I feel after eating nightshades is amplified due to the amount of contrast.

I've also started experimenting with taking certain supplements when I know I'm going to eat some. Things like D3, vit. K, Ca/Mg/K bicarb, magnesium, probiotics, liver herbs, and fish oil. It does seem to help a lot, but it doesn't eliminate the post-symptoms completely.

One patient I had that eliminated nightshades for her bilateral knee osteoarthritis (which she said was the best thing that ever happened to her pain) accidentally ate some peppers in a restaurant soup--her knees proceeded to swell up so badly almost immediately that she had to leave before the main course arrived. So, it does happen.

My issue isn't so much swelling as it seems to be a recurrent subluxed rib head that likes to get aggravated whenever I eat wrong--it hits the worst point at two days after I eat that bad stuff...that's today for me.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Jordan Glasser

Garrett,

I've been thinking about this for quite some time, and hit home when reading Robb's blog today.

He said that no variety in diet leads to intolerance's.

I'm paraphrasing. He is referring to a vegetarian diet, and understandably depends on how you implement that diet. And in my case, a paleo diet, that is void of all nightshides, and limits my intake of fruits. Over time it does tend to lack variety. Although I try and vary up my veggies, my proteins, and fats, I have become extremely sensitive to many foods, and food types.

What I struggle with is the following. Aren't I better off being in a place where I can tolerate these foods, albeit on a limited basis? I understand that as a whole I am better off without them, but I feel like I am paying a really big price when I re-introduce foods that I haven't been eating.

Just as an example, 3 years ago I couldn't live without cajun spices. At the time I was injury free, didn't struggle with joint inflammation. Now, a little cajun spice, and I can instantly feel inflamed. I am not 100% sure that it was doing me much harm at the time, and I feel that it's doing me harm now, or at least potentially (when I consume it).

I appreciate that I am way more in tune with my body now then I was then, and I am not looking to start eating gluten and nightshades everyday to de-sensitize myself from them. Perhaps I am just looking for a happy medium, or is there no turning back now?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Frank Needham

For the OP, or anyone doing the meat/beer diet thing: That stuff can work, until you're about 40ish, or unless you have some sort of alien metabolism. Until my late 40s I could almost build muscle and fitness on beer and chips, not anymore though. It's remarkable what 15-20 years will learn you.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
George Mounce

Why did this wonderful thread about meat and beer have to turn into a nightshade thread! Just kidding!

But I would have to say, that Guiness and Beamish both go very well with some good ribs. I'm also a fan of some Sam Adams Boston Lager with a good smoked chicken and turkey.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Glasser View Post
He said that no variety in diet leads to intolerance's.
That is true. Imagine how many Paleo/Zoners are making themselves intolerant of almonds, for example, by eating them every single day.

Quote:
I'm paraphrasing. He is referring to a vegetarian diet, and understandably depends on how you implement that diet. And in my case, a paleo diet, that is void of all nightshades, and limits my intake of fruits. Over time it does tend to lack variety.
Variety is not implicit in any diet, Paleo included, it's all in how it is implemented. Eating seasonally, for example, tends to introduce variety.

Quote:
Although I try and vary up my veggies, my proteins, and fats, I have become extremely sensitive to many foods, and food types.
There are two main things I would look at with your statement. First, if you are noticing more of a sensitivity to non-Paleo foods, that I would typically regard as being more in touch with your physiology and what makes it run poorly. Second, if you are becoming more sensitive to Paleo foods, along with more environmental sensitivities (ie. pollen, chemicals, smoke), then there is something else going on.

Quote:
What I struggle with is the following. Aren't I better off being in a place where I can tolerate these foods, albeit on a limited basis? I understand that as a whole I am better off without them, but I feel like I am paying a really big price when I re-introduce foods that I haven't been eating.
That's all up to you. You could drink a little gasoline each day, slowly becoming more "tolerant" of it as your liver adapted to it, but that doesn't mean you are in a "better place" just because you can tolerate something that isn't necessarily good for you.

People often take for granted just how good they feel once they are off foods that they don't tolerate well. This leads to them feeling "worse" in contrast when they eat offending foods, because they are used to feeling so much better. It is all due to the contrast. Yes, it sucks. Yes, I experience the same thing. Yes, I will likely be a little smug when I (hopefully, I'm planning on it at this point) don't get arthritis because I chose not to eat certain foods.

Quote:
Just as an example, 3 years ago I couldn't live without cajun spices. At the time I was injury free, didn't struggle with joint inflammation. Now, a little cajun spice, and I can instantly feel inflamed. I am not 100% sure that it was doing me much harm at the time, and I feel that it's doing me harm now, or at least potentially (when I consume it).
You were also younger then and (likely) more naive about what food actually does to a body. I was much the same way when I was going through medical school. Both are huge factors. Your nutritional and toxic body burden were different then as well. Many things could have changed between then and now. Think about a car that is 3 years older, it's not the same car it was before and never will be again.

Quote:
I appreciate that I am way more in tune with my body now then I was then, and I am not looking to start eating gluten and nightshades everyday to de-sensitize myself from them. Perhaps I am just looking for a happy medium, or is there no turning back now?
You can always go back. I don't think you'll like that place.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
But I would have to say, that Guiness and Beamish both go very well with some good ribs. I'm also a fan of some Sam Adams Boston Lager with a good smoked chicken and turkey.
You must of read my mind with your fancy ESPN.....Mmmmmmmm.......
Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
Jordan Glasser

George you're right. I'd be buying the next round of beers for changing the subject. Not sure what the online equivalent punishment should be, how's about I spend the next half hour watching video highlights of an online poker tournament.

Garrett, thanks for taking the time to answer me thoroughly. I think it's me looking at the glass being half empty instead of half full. You're right, I wouldn't like going back. And that's the bottom line.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #20
Dave Ogilbee

All I know is Guinness and Sheppard's Pie makes me feel like a new man. My dinner consisted of a night with friends at a SF pub, PR'd the next day. That stuff is like magic I tell ya.

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote