Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
Andy Robinson

Default Front Squat drifting forward

Did C/J 100%x1 this morning. In the video (which I erased), I catch the bar in a solid FS position. When I start to stand up with it, at first I maintain a vertical stance, then I start drifting forward. I made the lift, but the video showed the center of the bar well past the front of my feet at it's worst part. Three questions: a)how problematic is this? b)how normal is this for 100% efforts? and c) how much would weightlifting shoes help keep me vertical (I lift in old school Vans as of now). Thanks for the help, sorry no video to attach.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
glennpendlay

1. Weightlifting shoes help with most things in weightlifting. Do-wins definately help the most.

2. Form breakdown is not uncommon in 100% lifts.

3. Drifting forward is usually caused by one of two things. One is raising your hips too fast, faster than your chest, which causes you to lean over. This is usually because you have weak quads. The other is the upper or middle back collapsing upon catching the bar or while you are standing up. I suppose this could be from a weak back, but more likely it is either because you have caught the bar in too much of a leaned over position, or because you simply arent adequately controlling your musculature, you just arent holding the back tight. Me seeing very strong guys, with very impressive back musculature, have more problems than anyone with the back collapsing when catching the bar or rising with the bar has convinced me that it is rarely a lack of muscle or actual strength that causes the back to collapse.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Andy Robinson

thanks, glenn...I've just recently switched to the CA program from a ME/metcon deal, so I'm sure that quad strength is imbalanced compared to hamstring strength...will inadequate quad strength be something that is corrected by following the CA WODs or should extra measures be taken to shore up that problem?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
glennpendlay

Andy,

I'm not going to critique the CA WOD, but in general, IF your problem is weak quads, any program with front squats, and with back squats done CORRECTLY, should in time correct the problem.

Glenn
Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Andy -

Like Glenn said, if you're doing the CA WOD with real back squats and correct pulling/DL posture, yes, this quad/PC imbalance will correct itself. If it's really bad, consider doing only front squats, i.e. replacing all back squats with fronts for several weeks.

Also like Glenn said, there are a few possibilities for your problem - weak quads, crashing bar, being forward during the lift from the start, etc.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
glennpendlay

Greg,

Great minds think alike! I didnt want to advocate any deviation from the CA workouts on the CA forum, out of respect, but I did tell him in a PM that he might consider emphasising front squats if the problem was not easily overcome... or something like that. Anyway, Andy, follow Greg's advice, because when you can find anyone who agrees with an a--hole like me, its obviously the correct advice.

glenn
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
Andy Robinson

Thank you for the advice guys...like I said, from watching the video of the lift, I felt like I caught the clean in a good receiving position. It's when I got about a quarter of the way up that I really started to drift forward. This is leading me to believe that quad strength is the issue. Next time I'll be more mindful of not erasing the evidence...Thanks again for the help.