Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Ted Byerly

Cool Blood Results

All this reading and still confused. Searched the archives and obviously believe what I read here than from the local "Dr's".

Anyway lurking for a long time, Did CF for 1 year then switched to Gregs WOD..Started with Zone and now mostly Paleo..have only an occasional 1-2 cheat days.

I expected my numbers to be lower or I just really dont know how to read them, so Im looking for some expert opinions....Robb, Dr. G or anyone else that has been involved and are more educated than I am. The local quacks had their usual advice.

Cholesterol 220
TRI 37
HDL 62
Direct LDL 137

I have alll the other numbers if you need them. I take between 15-20 ml Carsons Fish Oil daily..

Thanks
Help?
Ted Byerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Get your vitamin D levels checked. Supplement as necessary (you can PM me for more on this if your local docs won't do it for you).

If I had similar numbers and I wanted to avoid conventional treatments for cholesterol, I'd look into the following:
--2400mg total EPA+DHA daily
--D3, supplemented based on weight, sun exposure, latitude, and current levels
--Ditch any inkling of Zone
--Get good saturated fats daily, along with monounsaturateds and fish oil.
--No metcons longer than 10 minutes
--Pomegranate juice or supplement (if you don't want the sugar)
--Nice dose of CoQ10
--More sleep
--Better stress management

That should change things nicely.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Ted Byerly

Thanks Dr G...
Im in the ballpark with the fish oil...3900 per day with Carlsons

Have been working on the fats with almonds and macadamia nuts, avocados and olive oil. Any Limit? Or just Paleo

Ill add the supplements..

You Hit the nail on the head with the sleep and stress though...I never seem to get enough sleep and stress has been high lately.

My Choleterol has always been somewhat elevated..I am just now paying more attention to it.

Anyone care to comment on the levels or ratios? Obviously I dont get good advice from the local medical establishment.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

In all honesty, I think your lipid numbers are just fine.

Get some good saturated fats in there (organic butter, coconut oil), and I'd say you're fine.

I've recently started doing a red blood cell membrane fatty acid analysis...if one really wants to know which fats they need to take to correct any potential/current issues, that's what I'd pursue. More info on this test in these articles:
https://www.bodybio.com/BodyBio/docs...holesterol.pdf
https://www.bodybio.com/BodyBio/docs...in-4to1Oil.pdf
https://www.bodybio.com/BodyBio/docs...in-Kirunal.pdf
Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Ted Byerly

Thanks Dr G.... Just read through the forum and now reading up on Vit D..

Picking up the other things tonight.

Thanks for all your time and effort

Will be reading the links
Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Scott Clark

Dr. G, in your experience have you found that sleep and stress management are the top culprits of out of whack lipids and disease in general? Interesting to see pomegranate get a mention, I've been having a shot of it daily for a few months now.
Scott Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Scott,
In a word, yes. I believe so much in lifestyle choices being the major factors in health (or lack of it), that I'm currently in the process of converting my practice to simply nutrition, focused detoxification based on testing, exercise, and some form of stress relief/management. In my opinion, if those are all addressed adequately, there won't be much room for much dis-ease at all.

Fun studies I just pulled up on the topic:

Relationship Between Forgiveness and Psychological and Physiological Indices in Cardiac Patients.
Quote:
BACKGROUND: Research suggests that forgiveness is associated with better psychological and physical health and in particular cardiovascular functioning. Despite these findings, most forgiveness studies involve healthy participants. PURPOSE: The current study assessed the psychological and physiological correlates of forgiveness in individuals with coronary artery disease (CAD). METHOD: Self-reported forgiveness, perceived stress, anxiety, and depression, and physiological data, including triglycerides, total cholesterol, high- (HDL) and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, were obtained from 85 hospitalized CAD patients. RESULTS: Higher levels of forgiveness were associated with lower levels of anxiety (p < 0.05), depression (p < 0.01), and perceived stress (p < 0.005) as well as lower total cholesterol to HDL and LDL to HDL ratios (both at p < 0.05) after controlling for age and gender. The psychological indices did not mediate the relationship between forgiveness and cholesterol ratios. CONCLUSIONS: Results suggest that the psychological correlates of forgiveness are similar in cardiac patients and healthy individuals. Further, among cardiac patients, forgiveness may be associated with reduced risk for future cardiovascular events.
Associations of usual sleep duration with serum lipid and lipoprotein levels.
Quote:
STUDY OBJECTIVES: We examined the individual association between sleep duration and a high serum triglyceride, low HDL cholesterol, or high LDL cholesterol level. DESIGN AND SETTING: The present study analyzed data from the National Health and Nutrition Survey that was conducted in November 2003 by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. This survey was conducted on residents in the districts selected randomly from all over Japan. PARTICIPANTS: The subjects included in the statistical analysis were 1,666 men and 2,329 women aged 20 years or older. INTERVENTION: N/A. MEASUREMENTS AND RESULTS: Among women, both short and long sleep durations are associated with a high serum triglyceride level or a low HDL cholesterol level. Compared with women sleeping 6 to 7 h, the relative risk of a high triglyceride level among women sleeping <5 h was 1.51 (95% CI, 0.96-2.35), and among women sleeping > or =8 h was 1.45 (95% CI, 1.00-2.11); the relative risk of a low HDL cholesterol level among women sleeping <5 h was 5.85 (95% CI, 2.29-14.94), and among women sleeping > or =8 h was 4.27 (95% CI, 1.88-9.72). On the other hand, it was observed that the risk of a high LDL cholesterol level was lower among men sleeping > or =8 h. These analyses were adjusted for the following items: age, blood pressure, body mass index, plasma glucose level, smoking habit, alcohol consumption, dietary habits, psychological stress, and taking cholesterol-lowering medications. CONCLUSIONS: Usual sleep duration is closely associated with serum lipid and lipoprotein levels.
Sleep and stress are huge, likely two of the biggest things that people take for granted in their health.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

stress = up in cholesterol production.....lack of sleep is a stress to your adrenal glands and cortisol production....just ask anyone who's cortisol is done/blown and sleep 4 hours a night and work stressful jobs.....good luck to those people shedding excess weight if they don't do something about their lifestyle.

Body wasn't meant for the stressors we put on it today.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Scott Clark

Dr G that's all good stuff. Good luck with the new direction of your practice. I watched the stressors of finances and 80-90 hour work weeks land my father on a table with his chest cracked open for a double bypass at the age of 51. My grandfather (his father) was buried at 48 after suffering massive heart attacks brought on largely by a horrible lifestyle and stress. While we all like to debate about diet down to the nth degree, I firmly believe that stress is the #1 bad guy we all have to learn to keep at bay.

MOD, I hear ya. For the past 2 weeks I've been getting between 3-4 hours of sleep every night. I even put in for time off (today) just to refocus, recharge, and basically force myself to make sleep my top priority.
Scott Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

An older ND I know just told me about his huge practice that he had in Canada--he got to the point where he realized he would either sell it soon or it would kill him.

I'm too smart to let it get that far, I also am still watching my father go through the last years of his dental practice...I hope to leave practice on a different note.