Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Which would you think is better?

As I posted earlier, Im training to qualify for, then join the AF. Im not going to bore everyone with all my program details, Im just wondering about the strength portion. I came up with two different strength schedules that can work with my schedule and plans for summer. I work Mon-Thur and have Fri-Sun off, which will also be when Ill be doing any traveling.

Idea one:
Tuesday and Thursday-
Power Clean and Press - 5x3
Front Squat - 3x5
Pullup (regular, weighted, with rope/towel, whatever) - 3x5 or similar, depending on verson
Pushup (same idea as pullups) - ' '
Deadlift - 1x5

Saturday-
Same if in town. Bodyweight or KB if out of town.

Ideal two:
Tuesday-
Lower Body workout

Thursday-
Upper Body Workout

Saturday-
If in town, go to the park, drag sleds, play on the equipment, do bodyweight stuff etc etc. If out of town, bodyweight, KBs, whatever I can bring.

Im kinda leaning towards idea two. It would provide some good recovery I think which will be nice since Ill have sprint/interval work other days. But not 100% sure, I do like full body workouts, but they are also more taxing. Any opinions will be appreciated.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Matt Cricchio

When are you going to run?
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Brandon Enos

Mon, Wed, Fri. Mostly in the forms of sprints with longer distances worked in. Back when I was training to get into the sheriff academy, I needed to work up to 10 miles. For the air force, the tests are only 1.5 miles, so I figured 3 miles would be a good idea. I can already do that, just need to work on speed.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Just squat or do one heavy lift on your sprint/run days.

2 HIIT/interval and then one long tempo run
2 upper body days.

5 workouts per week.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Matt Cricchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Enos View Post
Mon, Wed, Fri. Mostly in the forms of sprints with longer distances worked in. Back when I was training to get into the sheriff academy, I needed to work up to 10 miles. For the air force, the tests are only 1.5 miles, so I figured 3 miles would be a good idea. I can already do that, just need to work on speed.

What is an excellent score on your PRT? How miles will you run in a week during boot camp? Did I read somewhere that you need to lose something like 30lbs before you are within height and weight standards?

I'm not in the Air Force so I have no idea.

But I do know this: you need to train for whatever the requirement is. You've spent a long time doing full body conditioning, and yes that is obviously the kind of training you enjoy, but if you are going to be doing endless repetitions of push, pull, and sit-ups and lots of slow running you need to bite the bullet and do it.

I tried to fight it too before I got in and I did have a great base of fitness but I was kicking myself at times when I didn't get score in the absolute highest percentiles on some tests. There's always time later to train whatever it is you like to train.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Brandon Enos

The min. score on their fitness test is 1.5 mile run in 11:57, 45 pushups in one minute and 50 situps in one minute. Highest level is 8:55, 65, 70, and 10 pullups.

From everything Ive been being told, AF basic has been getting continualsly easier PT wise. Only allowing a few hours a day for pt with an alternating schedule of cals and running 6 days a week. So Monday is running. Tuesday Cals. Etc. And from the sound of it, the running is not much.

Roughly 30, a little less is possible. I have to be either 202 pounds or under 20% bf. Im approximately 26% now. About 20 pounds would hit that goal. 30 would give me a good buffer zone in case a different dr measures differently or a different scale puts me at a different weight. My dream goal would be to get to 10, 8 percent, but eligability comes first.

The nice thing is I wont be available to join until Sept 28th bc of stuff Ive got to take care of here. So pretty much I have til then to A, get in awesome shape and B, get myself to the point where I can ace the fitness test.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Matt Cricchio

Quote:
The min. score on their fitness test is 1.5 mile run in 11:57, 45 pushups in one minute and 50 situps in one minute. Highest level is 8:55, 65, 70, and 10 pullups.

From everything Ive been being told, AF basic has been getting continualsly easier PT wise. Only allowing a few hours a day for pt with an alternating schedule of cals and running 6 days a week. So Monday is running. Tuesday Cals. Etc. And from the sound of it, the running is not much.

Roughly 30, a little less is possible. I have to be either 202 pounds or under 20% bf. Im approximately 26% now. About 20 pounds would hit that goal. 30 would give me a good buffer zone in case a different dr measures differently or a different scale puts me at a different weight. My dream goal would be to get to 10, 8 percent, but eligability comes first.

The nice thing is I wont be available to join until Sept 28th bc of stuff Ive got to take care of here. So pretty much I have to July to A, get in awesome shape and B, get myself to the point where I can ace the fitness test.

In my humble opinion you are going to want to:

1) Be the lightest you can possibly be
2) Ace your PRT with the highest score possible

Again, I'm not in the Air Force, but I have done this before. And getting both of these things squared away will make your time at boot camp much easier.

Unfortunately boot camp for me was marked with eating terribly unhealthy and losing a lot of muscle. Both of which, by your other posts, you don't seem like you want to happen.

What I'm trying to say is that if you really want to do this your going to have to lose the weight, sacrafice some muscle and health while at boot camp, and train for the tests and challanges you will face there. It's all a trade off but it will serve you best in the end.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
sollo rick

Default Steven

Can you give a little more detail on this?
As in
Should you squat 3*3 max wait 3 hours then run?
For hiit do you recommend?
Sprints-how would you structure sprints or crossfit, both?
Is using a cm2 rower an option?
For a 1.5 mi run what distance tempo run do you recommend?
The cop test in my area is
40 pushups in 1 min
40 sit-ups in 1 min
Run 1.5 mi
I feel this is a test of smallness not fitness
But training for this test comes up a lot
So Brandonís question is really valuable
I realize you could write a book on this
And if you do please sell me a copy
sollo rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
George Mounce

Quote:

The nice thing is I wont be available to join until Sept 28th bc of stuff Ive got to take care of here. So pretty much I have til then to A, get in awesome shape and B, get myself to the point where I can ace the fitness test.
As a person who maxes the AF fitness test, you don't want to be at the min if you plan on enlisting. A bad score is reflected poorly in the enlisted performance report - something that officer's like me write. I have also kicked the ass of every enlisted person who has worked for me to get a 95+ on the test.

Your best bet is a comprehensive GPP program whether it be CF, CFE or heck run a lot and lift some weights on the side. You need to be a lot, a lot lighter. Your fitness program is 20% of that. Fix the the other 80% first....nutrition. Once you can solidly say you know how to eat for your goals, then you can make an honest effort on the workout side.

You are correct about basic, they don't hold your hand to workout outside of the group workouts. We don't want Airman as followers, you have to take the initiative to go workout on your own and become a leader.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote