Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Brian Stone

Default Grip for FSPP / Thruster

I did some searching on the CF forums and here and didn't find a satisfactory answer to this question, so hoping there is some advice here.

What is the proper grip(s) for correct execution of a Thruster / Front Squat Push Press with barbell? When searching thins, I have seen mainly either
1) Use the FS grip (elbows out front, bar resting on shoulders, 3 fingertips holding position) through to the top, explode off of chest and rapidly change to press grip during transition to overhead.
2) Use the press grip the whole way through.
Also seen other variations, like "whatever works for you" etc.

Personally, I see issues with both. It seems that, ideally, 1) is the best option, but I'd think this is risky and dangerous, particularly at high fatigue / heavy weight. Transitioning a grip with a floating heavy barbell directly overhead does not seem like the best advice, intuitively.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Both can be used.

Obviously, #1 is what some OLers do on their jerk on very heavy weights, so it can be done. They do very low reps and they are also starting from a much more "controlled" (movement-wise) scenario than in a thruster. This may be good to begin a set with, but it will usually deteriorate to #2 as fatigue sets in (particularly in the legs, which then requires more of a press effort, which requires a press grip to help start moving out of the rack).

You might want to go to the CF Games site to watch the best of the best at this particular move, see what they do, that's likely your best info...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Brian Stone

Garrett, thank you. I actually ran across the video accompanying Thursday's CA WOD and they are indeed using the overhead transition in 1). That looks tough to master, but so are most of the subtler movements in the Olympic lifts.

I ordered Mr. Everett's book yesterday. I'm sure this will be covered therein and ideally will give me a beginner's perspective on my options or progressions to get there. I've been trying to learn the basic Oly lifts recently and it's surely a challenging accomplishment, especially without a coach.

Going forward, I have a feeling my best bet is going to be taking a lot of video for scrutiny.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

It's easier to dump the bar if you use press grip in front squat/thruster.... although I believe you can go a bit faster with that method.

It's really up to personal preference I think, heh.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Brian,
Lots of good effort put into learning a proper (heavy) front squat and push press will translate to a solid thruster.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Ben Moskowitz

it's also easier to break your wrist with a press grip all the way through, if the elbow comes in contact with the knee.
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Brian Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
it's also easier to break your wrist with a press grip all the way through, if the elbow comes in contact with the knee.
Funny you should mention that; this happens with my thrusters as I have long limbs.

I was doing thrusters today and noticed that my posture collapses and it stresses my knees to use a press grip the whole way through. Putting elbows forward but maintaining full grip on the barbell and then transitioning arms as I press overhead came pretty naturally and seemed to resolve all these problems, so I'm sticking with that for the time being.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.