Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
Ron Nelson

As far as I know, the specialties are obtained by going to ART classes in that discipline and practicing in that area. I noticed several notebooks in my guy's office with those titles.

I suppose it's a good way to decide on which practicioner to visit. If the problem is in the upper extremities, then see that guy; but, most I've seen are certified in upper and lower and nerve entrapment, which I take to mean impingement. Some work disorders like carpal tunnel syndrome.

By the way, last night and today I noticed soreness in the upper back around the rhomboids, but the hips feel good. I hear my hips don't lie.

Hope that helped, Yael. The ART part, not the part about my hips.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
Yael Grauer

I just think that any chiropractor would be able to help with your spine even if they don't have ART "spine" certs...but I don't understand the difference between all these things.

Congrats on getting your hips to tell the truth, btw.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
Ron Nelson

Basic difference between ART and chiropractic is the lack of "adjustments." ART is more like deep tissue massage that works trigger points, also called adhesions, in the muscle. Adhesions are usually made up of scar tissue built up over time from little injuries and repetitive use. The practicioner finds these and actively works the point while moving the muscles in the area.
Hope that clears things up for you.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
Yael Grauer

So I just need to figure out if I have spinal adhesions or not. LOL. Okay, I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Robb Wolf

I like chiropractic but adjustments without addressing soft tissue holding patterns is not nearly as effective. Find a DC who is also and ART of myofascial release stud/studette and you have a very effective physiotherapist IMO.

SOME physical therapists have a background like this if they have a strong steeping in manual therapy...tough to find PT's with this background however. Most want to throw you on ice and stim. Lame.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #16
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
I like chiropractic but adjustments without addressing soft tissue holding patterns is not nearly as effective. Find a DC who is also and ART of myofascial release stud/studette and you have a very effective physiotherapist IMO.
Robb, I was specifically asking about the difference between DC's who have "upper extremity" and "lower extremity" ART certs versus DC's who have "spine" and "nerve entrapment" ART certs in addition to "upper extremity" and "lower extremity" ART certs.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #17
john fragoso

Default deciding on an ART provider

Credentials are key, the more ART certifications (spine, upper extemity, lower extremity, etc) the better. But perhaps the most important thing to look for is experience. ART is a technique that is fine tuned with practice, lots of it. Many say it takes about two years to become really good at this technique, and to some extent I agree, the more you do, the better you become.
john fragoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:33 AM   #18
Robb Wolf

DR. Fragoso!!!

Hey everybody, John Fragoso is a stud athlete, amazing Chiro/ART practitioner and almost family. Pester him with questions.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #19
Ron Nelson

Good to know that a practicioner is aboard. Hopefully my other posts were accurate, in a layman sort of way.

My ART guy has been doing great so far.
My shoulders and neck are improving and my hips feel great. I'm an ART believer.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #20
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fragoso View Post
Credentials are key, the more ART certifications (spine, upper extemity, lower extremity, etc) the better. But perhaps the most important thing to look for is experience. ART is a technique that is fine tuned with practice, lots of it. Many say it takes about two years to become really good at this technique, and to some extent I agree, the more you do, the better you become.
Well, since both the local ART guys have 20+ years of experience, I decided to go with the one with less credentials. I talked to the receptionists at both offices and it seems that he spends more time with his clients (30 min. visits as opposed to 10 min. visits) and is more geared towards getting you to not have to come back after the treatment is completed than the other dude (who can "eventually get you down to just once or twice a month"). Also he charges more, which makes me trust him more (lame, I know) and the receptionists made me feel more warm and fuzzy. AND my insurance covers BOTH these guys! I'm so used to paying out of pocket that I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm now done hijacking your thread now, Ron. Please resume. :-)