Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Balancing Barbell Strength with Bodyweight Endurance

I'm by no means an impressively strong guy, but I am more than familar with barbells. However, my numbers for things like pushups and situps sucks. I attempted to spend some time working on that alone, bought Never Gymless but kept getting increasingly bored with it, I miss heavy weights. I need to improve my numbers at least a little bit. I'm trying to become a police officer and most academies do test you on pushup, situp, and (sometimes) pullup numbers; along with running distance.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on mixing the two strength methods properly. My first thought was a program like:

Monday: Strength 1
Tuesday: Endurance Resistance
Wednesday: No 'strength work'
Thursday: Strength 2
Friday: Endurance Resistance

Strength 1 would be:
Front Squat 3x5
Dumbbell Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 3x5
Weighted Pullups 3x5
Overhead Walk (holding heavy dumbells over my head)

Strength 2 would be:
Overhead Squat 3x5
Dumbbell Military Press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3
Dumbbell Bent-Over Row 3x5
Plank

Endurance (no idea of rep scheme yet):
Pushups
Situps
Pullups

This doesn't include my running program. I will be doing LSD and/or tempo runs at least twice a week and sprints (or some other type of hard 'cardio') at least twice a week.

Any critques on my plan or any other plans anyone else would have would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm looking to be doing something M-F. Even if I only lift twice a week for example, I'm still going to be doing at least 5 days a week of 'cardio'. Most academies are 5 days a week and I need to get used to 5 days on, 2 days off versus a 3-1 schedule or something similar.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Looks ok to me. Try it out.

I agree with Intervals 2x with one fast long run 1x a week. Interval distance should be approximately 1/6-1/4 of the distance in question.

That strength work might be a lot though... if you're feeling beat up or the quality is decreasing fast then cut out some lifts.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Enrique Billington

You can do the bodyweight stuff on the same days as the strength. In "A Muli-Year System for Weightlifting" they all do GPP (which could be bodyweight) after or before, or sometimes both with the strength exercises. I think everyone should do GPP regardless of sport. The Soviets regarded it as essential back in their prime, and now, it would appear the Chinese, today, do as well. I have seen many videos of the Chinese lifters doing gymnastics and bodyweight exercise at the training facilities. I believe it is necessary for recovery and work capacity.

If you still don't want to, just design your own westside template, but with more RE (repetition efforts) and Maximal Effort days than speed days.

http://www.bodybuilding.net/powerlif...late-3063.html

That should give you some ideas.
Enrique Billington is offline   Reply With Quote