Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #21
Matthew Bacorn

I woke up crazy tight and feeling a little beat up. I can usually put my fists on the floor easily with straight legs, and my fingers didn't even reach my ankles for most of today.

Squat: 180 (3,2,3) I really need to fix whatever im messing up. i feel more technically challenged than physically challenged
Press: 90
DL: 265
SU: 15x3x14

Im glad that im nearing a change. After this weekend, i need to start shrinking my waist so that i can fit into my suit for my cousins wedding next month. I'll probably drop to sets of 3 instead of sets of 5. keep the weight moving up too hopefully
Old 04-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #22
Matthew Bacorn

Squat: 180
Dips: 25 (4,4,3)
Chins: 10,8,7
Back ext: 15x3x14

The squats were better today, but i still don't feel like i have to work that hard to get the weight up, i have to keep the proper movement pattern.

i wonder if me trying to fix this on my own is akin to running my head into a wall over and over

i guess thats why theres deadlifting
Old 04-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #23
Matthew Bacorn

i decided to take it easy today, i've been feeling beat up for a week or so, a little worse each day

10 min easy row
squat: 45x10, 95x10, 45x10
Press: 45x2x5
lat raise: 10x10, 5x10
5 dips
5 push-ups
5 pull-ups
5 push-ups
DL: 100x10

That was followed by a hot shower and some leftover steak for breakfast. More rest is in order

Final weigh in: 182
total gain: +23 lbs
i'll find out in a month or so how much of it was muscle
Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #24
Matthew Bacorn

I just thought i was going to get some good rest yesterday.

I ended up helping my cousin and his fiance move into their first place, which involved alot of heavy thigs and alot of stairs. It was fun though.

This morning i planted squash, eggplant, bell pepper, and jalepeno. They're just in pots behind the house, maybe i'll put some pictures up if they do well.

Last night we ate a slow-roasted chicken with a smoky rub, acv, hot sauce, and molasses. Pulled and tossed with its giblets, topped with the boiled down juices. Served with green beans boiled with a smoked ham hock and tosses with bacon.

Leftovers for lunch soon - im gonna toss the ham hock with the chicken too
Old 04-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #25
Matthew Bacorn

Tuesday:
Squat: 180 (3,2) 165 (3)
Press: 95
DL: 275 (2) - back rounded on third and i couldn't wench it up. got it probably 3/4 up
SU: 15x3x16

Im not happy with my depth in the squats so i am going to back down and focus on just getting as low as possible

Thursday:
Squat: 165 - depth is pretty good. well below || but not deep enough
Dip: 30
Chin: 30
back ext: 15x3x16

I cut back on my warm up sets and really liked it. I didn't feel tired going into my sets before, but it felt like i was able to put alot more of myself into each lift today.

Pavel-esque i guess, more focus on tension and bracing and involving the whole body
good stuff

Last edited by Matthew Bacorn : 04-18-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: got my days mixed up
Matthew Bacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
Matthew Bacorn

Squat: 165 (3,3,2)
Press: 95 (5, 4+1pp, 3+1pp)
DL: 245x3
SU: 25#, 3x10

I lack focus under the bar on squats. I had good depth today, although my hip flexors were tight and my leg felt drained when this morning

After press, i was just zonked. I am mentally tired, although i'm not really sure why. I think it might be time for a frame-shift, just to mix things up. It has only been a week since i cut way back on food though, so i will give it one more week in case i am still adjusting.

I am 1+ belt notch away from where i need to be. Im not really too worried about getting.

On another note, i saw The Wrestler last night and wasn't too impressed. too bad
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #27
Matthew Bacorn

Went and saw Wilco last night - great show. They played a good mix of old and new, and the encore was like 45 minutes long

Squat: 165 I feel confident enough to start moving the weight up now. not good, but better
Dip: 32.5
Chin: 32.5
Back ext: 25x3x10

I'm really starting to look forward to summer, i need to freaking get out of this dorm room. it doesn't help that we haven't had much sun in a while, i tend to get sad without sunshine
Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #28
Matthew Bacorn

Yesterday:
Squat: 170 (3,2) 165 (3)
Press: 100
DL: 225x3

I was pretty tired coming into it and the press took what little i had out of me. Regardless, i am coming to realize more and more how off my squat form really is. I need coaching on it, and i need it badly.

I do suspect, however, that i have a serious issue with weak hamstrings. I never really feel them on squats or deadlifts. When i slowed down the dl and kept the bar next to my knees, i lost about 50 pounds. Probably 50 pounds that i should not be winching up with my back, i suspect. Dang, i was feelin good about the fact that i was still climbing in weight on the DL. it was a pretty humbling day.

All in all, i am mentally and physically tired. I feel the need to increase the variety of stuff i do, and perhaps decrease the intensity a bit. Most nights as i lay in bed, i get spontaneous muscle twitches like the barkeeper in Boondock saints. I don't think thats supposed to happen. 3 max effort lifts in a day is too much right now.

I would like to make my programming more varied and adaptable without turning into a cocky prick who thinks he is above intelligent programming. ADD and rigid structure both seem to be my enemy.

Also, when i get home for the summer, i will be pretty active hiking, biking, swimming, playing soccer and ultimate, and a bunch of other stuff that makes linear progress very unlikely. And frankly, hanging out and enjoying my time with people i car about and the general relaxation of summer are more important than any kind of quick gym progress. Thats not to say that i don't want to keep improving though.

I do not want to become overly dogmatic about any 1 program. I also have a bit of creative/independent streak, and can only survive so long without feeling the need to write a program for myself. Even though i am fully aware that it would be much better for me to suck it up and follow somebody's advice who is much smarter and more accomplished than i am. i can be kind of stubborn i guess

For those who have made it this far (saints that you are), is there a general skeleton that i can use as a program? Something along these lines?

Lower body/Full Body move i.e. squats, pulls, cleans, etc
Push i.e. SP, PP, bench, dip, etc.
Pull i.e. pull-ups, chins, rows, etc.

I am thinking of alternating push and pull strength work days (2-5 reps) coupled with a complimentary excersize in accessory numbers (like more than 5 i guess). basically horizontal push with horizontal pull and the same thing for vertical. Maybe alternating strength with other type stuff for the squat type movement.

Any opinions folks? (besides wanting those last 5 minutes back)
Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #29
Matthew Bacorn

Dang, its been a while. I had finals and moved back home wednesday, and have been hangin out and eating some good food since then. Dinner tonight was scallops with basil and bacon and a frisee salad. Also tried my hand at cooking squid with mediocre results. Less cooking next time.

Yesterday was pretty busy, at the gym:
DL: 235 1x5 I dont think my back was tight, but i bet i could get more vertical and fix it. im pretty flexible, although i dont know if thats the "proper" solution
Chin: 37.5 3x3 Im still not that close to max i dont think. Ill take it
Dip: 3x8
Back ext: 40 3x10

Then i biked for the first time since november, and it was rough. i will be geting around by bike alot this summer, so i need some serious help. gym->visitor center->home in 20 minutes

I also played racquetball for about an hour, alot of fun

The extra weight is coming off well. my suit pants fit yesterday, although not well. I have about a week to lose another inch or so if i can. As of monday, i have been sugar and starch free. Hopefully it will also help with the lightheadedness i get when i stand up too quickly (the yellow and black spots)
Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #30
Matthew Bacorn

Couldn't sleep last night
morning temp: 97.0

i felt pretty zonked all day. i rode a few miles on the bike, rearranged some furniture, but not much. couldn't swing the gym. i was planning on trying out some front squats. i have been reading alot of dan john