Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I just watched this video on Liam Hoekstra at 3 years old.

So maybe I don't have a good idea of what 3-year-olds can do, but the feats in that video don't seem earth-shattering, nor does his physique look out of the ordinary. They said he did inverted sit-ups, then on video he does normal sit-ups.

I'm totally calling BS on the iron cross at 19 months old. Show it on video, especially now that he's ~3 years old!

Oh yes, the other parts in the myostatin page that Gant linked. Imagine that, an "unusually strong" parent(s) having "unusually strong" offspring. Sheesh.

It would seem that the power-to-weight ratio and the leverage of muscle fibers of these myostatin-deficient folks doesn't seem to pan out as well as people think once they are adults. Maybe it's only good for BBing purposes...
Touche doc...

after seeing that vid i am underwhelmed as well. The pics on the site gant posted are impressive though -- a toddler doing One Armed pushup support alone is impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Football would probably be better at getting him paid.

Point taken and noted. :P
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
Patrick Donnelly

Hm. I'm not getting any video on the page you linked to, Garrett. This is odd. Does it play in some sort of plug-in program (QuickPlayer or something), or is it a YouTube type of video?
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Patrick,
When I right-click on it, it would appear to be an Adobe Flash Player 10 type of video.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
Patrick Donnelly

Still wasn't working, so I tried opening the link in IE (I normally use Firefox), and voila! I should have tried that from the get-go.

Anyway, the kid seemed pretty normal to me.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
Garrett Smith

I'm with you, Patrick. He didn't seem to be doing anything an active, above-average physical ability three-year-old couldn't do...then again, I could be totally wrong.

I think kids have been so sheltered and held back from things like monkey bars these days that Liam sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm going to have my wife, who has done wee little ones gymnastics for a long time, watch the video and see if she sees anything extraordinary going on.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
Garrett Smith

OK, my wife watched the video and was non-plussed. She said that was all completely within the realm of any decently movement-trained three-year-old.

For her frame of reference, she used to teach little kids gymnastics classes for the city when she was in high school, then later she helped The Little Gym to open franchises across the country. She's had enough experience in that area to easily call BS on that video.

I also like how the picture of Liam on the rope is a still photo. It also happens to be the "hardest" thing shown on that video.

Seems like parents trying to make their child a celebrity in order to cash in on it (however they think they'll manage that...).
Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
What do you guys think of this? If they eventually made a banned steroid that could do unnaturally what this kid had coincidentally, would that bar him from competing in elite sports?
I think that the bully whippets would be dominating the normal whippets in racing if that were so. I haven't seen or heard evidence of that anywhere I've looked.

In the page Gant linked, it states the bully whippet had a "normal"-sized heart and lungs. Maintaining sufficient bloodflow/oxygen/nutrients to excessive muscle in high intensity activity would be very difficult, considering the loads that "normal" heart and lungs are designed for.

Again, probably only a beneficial mutation for bodybuilders.

Or, he may endure something like Richard Sandrak (from Wikipedia), another kid on Gant's link:
Quote:
He made a television appearance on the programme "The Worlds Strongest Child and Me", which aired on February 18 2009. Presenter Mark Dolan went on a quest to find the strongest children in the world and Sandrak was one of those interviewed. Sandrak said he still works out, but due to growing up the world had lost interest in him. He showed his six-pack which had earned him world wide aclaim, but admitted how his average overall body size meant he was not as famous as he had been. Mark suggested that the world was fascinated to see a 12 year old with a ripped body but not a 16 year old. Sandrak then said he will try to pursue a career in acting but Dolan realised he would have to start living like a normal young adult. His father is currently serving time in prison for abuse towards Rich's mother. His father also allegedly gave Rich steroid injections when he was young but claimed that it was just protein.
Wow.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #18
Blair Lowe

Stronger and more coordinated than your average 3yo, but nothing too spectacular...until I coach him.

He is pretty lean for a 3yo but then again he seems small as well.

Interested tidbit about the LittleGym, Garrett. I know a friend that knew the people that started it up from Marin. He regrets not getting on that bandwagon with them.

I'm gonna take that Liam climbed that high on the rope by stepping on the coach's wrist. I have kids do that, especially when we don't have a knotted rope. Every gym needs one or two of those. It makes learning how to climb a lot easier than just struggling, period.

The picture of the small child doing a one arm support is very impressive as is the leg musclature. My former boss's daughter had legs like that at 4 from bouncing on trampolines so much.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #19
Garrett Smith

I think that one-arm push-up photo is a fake. In the age of digital cameras having video capability, there is no reason to not have video.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
Chris Salvato

Garret, you are such a buzzkill -- i enjoy thinking that there are superhumans living among us. Really brings "The Watchmen" to life in my own little world

It seems like all this myostatin mumbo-jumbo doesn't really change human's lifestyle or ability too much -- those dogs, however, are absolutely beastly looking.

There is a lot of stuff being thrown around yet there is no proof. I would have really liked to see a video of a 5 year old doing an Iron Cross...but even from the description it sounds shoddy at best.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote