Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Default Business Trip - Exercise Brainstorming

Hey Guys,
I am making preparations for a two week business trip starting March 16. I just wanted to brainstorm with you guys how I should work my training program around this. Here is what I have so far:

1. I am going to hit my training real hard this week and next so that the business trip can be somewhat of a "back of" weeks in my cycle.

2. I am coming home over the weekend, so I was going to do a snatch and CJ workout the saturday in the middle of the two weeks.

3. I am going to probably do some crossfit style bodyweight workouts from the hotel. I'd like to work on some pistols and hand stand pushups. Ideally some pullups mixed in with those two exercises would be perfect. Unforunately, it is usually harder than you think to find a good pull up bar around a hotel.

4. Running?? - what do you guys think about a 5k or something. Will that do more harm than good to my O'Lifting program.

5. Flexibility training - I'll definitly work in some good AIS stretching and stuff while in the hotel room.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Will you be driving or flying? I take a KB with me on the road. If I'm flying, I take my rope. I actually look forward to doing some different types of training.

Plan ahead. Scout some hotels with fitness centers or parks nearby. Request a room on the first floor so you can crash and not piss anyone off. You can't do OLY specific stuff at most hotels, but you can make good use of DBs and plyo exercises. And, as you said, you get to spend some time developing gymnastics skills.

Running won't kill your OLY. Just opt for more sprints instead of doing a 10K every day. Or do a 10K. Whatever you like.

Tabatas travel well.

There's usually at least one staircase that you can do pullups on. Or a tree.

Wooden chairs are great for dips. And handstands. Unfortunately some hotels are moving towards those crappy Herman Miller knockoffs.

If you're ever in a pinch, buy a couple gallons of water from the grocery store. 7 pounds a piece gets pretty heavy doing static holds.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 03-02-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

Gant gave you some great advice. Here is the biggest piece of advice I have. Always workout in the morning on business trips. It is amazing to me how screwed up the evenings can get when you are out of town on business.

As a road warrior who flies everywhere it is pretty simple for me. I scout out where I am going in advance and plan my workouts around what is available. Most hotels have crappy exercise rooms but if you ask nicely they will normally get you setup with a local globogym.

One other cool thing is depending on where you are traveling you might be able to train at a USAW affiliated gym or a local Crossfit affiliate. I have had success with both of those in the past.

During the week I train strength with short metcons and on the weekend I throw in my Olympic lifting at the home gym. If you have access to a gym you could make it a strength focus 3 days each week and get one day of Olympic lifting in on the weekend.

Enjoy it and whatever happens don't worry too much about it.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Brian Lawyer

I am with Grant as far as looking forward to different kind of training on the trip. It is a good break from routine. LIke I noted above I have a general outline of things I want to work on while on the trip. Also, the point about morning workouts is very true. If I can find a decent place for Pullups, I would probably just make up my own workout of Pullups, HSPU's (BTW, I do them against a wall), and pistols. I'd probably just repeat that routine twice each week.

I am flying to New Orleans and staying in Sliddell which is about 30 - 45 minutes outside of New Orleans proper. So even if I could find a USAW or Crossfit gym in the area I wouldn't have time to drive to NO to work out.

Sliddell has one globo gym. It is not a national chain. From what I recall it is just called "Sliddell Fitness" or something generic like that. I stopped by on my trip last year to see if they sold Myoplex or some kind of protein drink and they didn't sell anything. So I wasn't real impressed.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Derek has a good point about AM workouts. I'm usually into some steak and hops by the evening, regardless of any workout plans.

This place looks just fine.

http://www.slidellathleticclub.com/facility.htm
Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Derek Simonds

Ok well now that I know it is Slidell that changes everything. You HAVE to workout in the morning since you are so close to the big easy..... I have spent many many nights in that neck of the woods.

It sounds like you are dialed in. Did you check to see if the hotel had DB's where you are staying? Coach Rut always has some great short met-cons with DB's on his site.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
glennpendlay

Before Katrina, Slidell had a place called Aunty May's that had the best food in the universe. Was a woman that opened her living room up over lunch each day, brought out some tables and chairs, and served gumbo and crayfish pie. best thing in the world i have ever eaten. you might check into it. I ate there about a week before Katrina hit.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
Before Katrina, Slidell had a place called Aunty May's that had the best food in the universe. Was a woman that opened her living room up over lunch each day, brought out some tables and chairs, and served gumbo and crayfish pie. best thing in the world i have ever eaten. you might check into it. I ate there about a week before Katrina hit.

glenn
Yet another reason why evening workouts don't work well on business trips - too busy trying to find a good restaurant we want to eat at on our expense account. Another reason is I am too stuffed after eating at said restaurant.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
That is the one global in Slidell I was referring to.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Do you guys have any recomendations for a good bodyweight exercise book or perhaps gymnastics book?

I have a pretty good fitness library of books and have been meaning to add a body weight exercise resource or gymnastics book to it. This business trip could be a good excuse to get a new book for my library. Here is a couple titles I had considered in the past:

Coach Somers, Gymnastics Bodies
Brad Johnson, Bodyweight Exercises for Extraordinary Strength (ironmind publication)

Or maybe it is just a waste of money since I already know the three exercises I want to work on, Pistols, HSPU's, and PU's.