Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Garrett Smith

Liam,
You'll have to see how you do on any schedule for yourself.

It's taken me years to realize I do best on much less than others. When I'm on a solid training schedule, I find taking one easy week out of every four--which for me means no OL, only gymnastic training and yoga--I do really well. More than that, I start to grind to a halt and get small injuries or get sick. I do seem to supercompensate after a week or several off.

If a car is breaking down from driving it too hard, driving it a bit slower doesn't always help that much. Taking it off the road for a time and fixing the problem is the answer.

I overtrained on the CA WOD myself, which isn't the fault of the program. I didn't ever adapt, it was just too much volume for my system and my life stressors (starting a business is a huge stress/drain). Metcon, even short duration, sucks the life right out of me. I think I'll do best on two OL workouts a week, maybe increasing to three in the month before a meet.

Your mileage may vary.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Liam Dougherty Springer

Garrett,

Thank you so much for your response, just reading your experience in a similar situation has helped me to more rationally reflect upon my own. I invite you to check in on my WO Log: LDS CA WOD Log. Your thoughts and comments are valuable to me.

Liam
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

My pleasure, Liam. I'll keep tabs on your log.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
Mike ODonnell

The path of learning what does work....is usually full of finding plenty of ways that do NOT work. The question is young grasshopper...do you learn and adjust.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
The path of learning what does work....is usually full of finding plenty of ways that do NOT work. The question is young grasshopper...do you learn and adjust.
I will do my best.... though that is what got me here in the first place For that reason I ask for the advice of others such as yourself.

Thanx Mike

and Steven if you check in on this I am interested in intentional over reaching... not so sure I will do it but I am a trainer and I would love to know more about it. I would appreciate any reading you have found usefull. I know there is a good thread somewhere around here I ment to look at more closely I think there were some interesting links regarding programing and study results.

Dr. G I have seen you refer to the book referenced in this thread previousely and I will look into it.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Planned overreaching is fairly easy. One of the easier methods is to go "high frequency" with like 10 workouts a week (couple exercises per workout) but 2-a-days... and do it for like 2-3 weeks until your performance drops to like 90% or so.

I can generally "feel" how tired my body is so.. I just play around with it like that. But it takes some time to get the feel of it.

For info you might wanna send a PM to Glenn Pendlay.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
Aaron Gainer

When in doubt, listen to your body. If you are not recovering between workouts(assuming proper sleep, nutrition, active movement that is low volume), then you need to drop an exercise, or cut down a couple sets from each lift.

And if your always riding on less than optimal sleep, cut the volume down. There is no point in following a high volume routine if you aren't 100%.

Programs are just guidelines, tailor them to your needs and see what works!!!!

NSCA C.S.C.S
Aaron Gainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
When in doubt, listen to your body. If you are not recovering between workouts(assuming proper sleep, nutrition, active movement that is low volume), then you need to drop an exercise, or cut down a couple sets from each lift.

And if your always riding on less than optimal sleep, cut the volume down. There is no point in following a high volume routine if you aren't 100%.

Programs are just guidelines, tailor them to your needs and see what works!!!!
Thanx fortunately I am still teachable and what I am learning in this experience is very valuable.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
Enrique Billington

The sore throat could have been a result of the heavy cleans and front squats. The bar violently contacts that area and sometimes even the adam's apple if your catch was a little bit off and this can result in microtrauma or just a general swelling of the area. Not comfortable at all. Feels a bit like you woke up with dead bug that crawled in to your throat or something. But who knows.

I used to get that problem when I was using a York bar that was 32mm, and thus a little too big to be doing Olympic lifts with. The knurling was also pretty rough and scratched my skin up quite a bit, I looked as if I had survived an encounter with Jeffrey Dahmer or something. Still love that York bar though.
Enrique Billington is offline   Reply With Quote