Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default Hemp Protein from Trueprotein.com

I was off powders since last may, but i've been adding them back in now for everyday life reasons. I'm checking out the hemp protein bandwagon since i've never done it before. The hemp protein from Ruth's looked nice since it appears to be pretty raw. Trueprotein.com has a better deal, but they don't give much of a description on the site. anybody have any opinion on it?

i wonder if i should even care about level of processing when it comes to powders though. it's that feeling like "well this is not paleo anymore, so why bother trying to fluff it up..."

i can handle some wheys. egg protein tends to make me gas up. i considered those beef protein powders, but for some reason i'm leaning towards hemp over beef. i'm assuming the main reason to choose whey over hemp would be price. any opinions?

and the necessary goal statement: maintenance/minor fat loss
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

Did you end up getting any hemp protein? Any additional thoughts on it?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Greg Davis

Depends what you are going to mix it with.. problem with hemp is it doesn't mix well with much..

I'd say if you're gonna go with a powder, and you tolerate whey, go for that option and just enjoy some dairy.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Do you handle whey concentrates as well as isolates? I personally handle caseins, whey isolate and do okay with egg, but whey concentrate makes me ridiculously gassy.

To answer the question a bit more directly, like Greg said, hemp protein doesn't mix well at all. It's pretty grainy and just kind of sucks.

I'll dig around and see if I can find a little thread where Lyle compared some of the protein options.

What I do remember is that he said pea protein sucked... but that doesn't really apply here.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
Grissim Connery

i ended up ordering ruth's from sarena's recommendation, but it's not here yet. i'll give my opinion on it later.

i've been doing some whey recently. i'm gettin the old gassiness back again. i had some goat whey though that didn't give gas. it was a combo of isolates and concentrate. i remember egg powder back in the day giving me some of the worst gas. i'll try some pure isolates again and see how they affect me.

i generally never mix my protein with anything. back along time ago when i was into body building (blah), i used to mix orange juice with my shakes. this wasn't that good. then i noticed that if i just drank the shake by itself, it was ok. then afterwards i would have a great cup of pure orange juice. now i just like that mentality - i don't like to taint the real food with some weird tasting powder.

i haven't had OJ since highschool now that i think about it...
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote