Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Dave Van Skike

Default Brilliance and muckracking...

Attain relevance by pitting one obscure sport (Oly) against another only slightly less obscure sport (SM).......

http://sportivnypress.com/documents/100.html

a couple gems..

Quote:
The made up strongman events such as the truck pull, tires, kegs, and stones are essentially tests of brute strength with little carry over to any sport but strongman. For instance, none of these “world’s strongest men” competitors listed on the organization’s web site were at the Beijing Olympics. Certainly the functionality of their strongmen events (which, remember, are so functional to football) would easily carry over to two such simple, ordinary, barbell exercises as the snatch and the clean and jerk?

another

Quote:
With tires and beer kegs?

This is such a crock. There is no known connection to throwing beer kegs, picking up stones, and pretend competitions with building mental toughness.
this tells me he's not been invited to the right parties....

It's not fair to cherry pick when someone's raving but I couldn't resist. Hilarity. I wonder what he thinks of poor Misha Koklyaev
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Leo Soubbotine

Hang snatching 200 kilos is for wankers apparently
http://www.youtube.com/user/koklyaevmisha
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Brian DeGennaro

Leo, what the ****.... Is Koklyaev planning to start lifting world records in training before he decides to crap on everyone else on the world level?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Enrique Billington

Koklayev won't be appearing in competition because unlike strongman and the powerlifting events he competes at, weightlifting involves drug testing. A 200kg hang snatch is impressive but let us not forget this man is seriously juiced, and that it's possible to hang snatch/clean more than you full snatch/clean (thanks to the eccentric movement). I'm pretty sure that a lot of people could hang snatch 200kg if they had the time to snatch all day like Misha does, and of course his access to restoratives. It's stuff like Krastev's 222.5kg training snatch that takes one in six billion.
Enrique Billington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Dave Van Skike

that was fast.

"da juice" ears it's ugly head before the 5th post..
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Enrique Billington

I'm not quite sure if I understand where you're coming from; do you suggest that Koklaeyev snatches what he snatches and jerks what he jerks because he does axle cleans and keg lifts? Could it not be that he can hang snatch 200kg because he's has been doing Olympic lifting since he was a child and he takes a ridiculous amount of drugs?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Enrique Billington

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit the fact that the guy can hang snatch 200kg. He's one in a group of less than about twenty men on the entire planet who can do that, if that even. I'm just saying that a lot of people seem to be giving unwarranted criticism of Bud Charniga, and it seems no one on this website really knows who the guy is.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
Dave Van Skike

No one said anything about Bud. The article was posted on Bud's site, written by others and it's retarded.

Misha is a strong guy to be sure, I could care less how many grams of test per week he's on compared to Rezzadeh or Steiner.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Enrique Billington
This message has been deleted by Enrique Billington.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
The made up strongman events such as the truck pull, tires, kegs, and stones are essentially tests of brute strength with little carry over to any sport but strongman...
This guy fails to realize that every sport is "made up."

Seriously, who ever thought of taking a long metal pole, loading the ends with iron, then flinging it over your head in a single motion? It's really an arbitrary motion. It's a good one, but just because it's been around for a while doesn't mean that it wasn't "made up" somewhere along the line.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Greg Everett
Administrator

I don't think (hope) anyone is intending to disrespect Charniga - As Enrique said, he has done a great deal for the sport and deserves an equal degree of respect. That doesn't mean agreeing with everything he says (or even anything, necessarily), but certainly understanding that he undoubtedly has good reasons for his opinions.

Between this and the other thread, it's a little dodgy with regards to opinions of Charniga himself rather than what he's saying. Let's just try to keep comments focused on the material exclusively.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote