Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Greg Boyd

Default Enter my first Olympic Event

I just entered my first Olympic meet today. I am looking for some assistance on things to expect. The meet will be sanctioned by the USAW and held at the local YMCA on April 26th. I would have liked more time to prepare however I only found out about the meet from an article in the paper. I am an avid Crossfitter. The meet will be held 2 days after my one year Crossfit anniversary. During that time I have made some major headway in my overall fitness. I'm using the meet as a reward/sounding board for how far I've come. To date I've gone from 265 to 217 body weight, CFT from 830 to 1025, and my Fran time from 14:59 to 5:57. I have gone from doing 2 pull ups to doing 21 consecutively. I really enjoy the Olympic lifts. My goal is to try and get more sound in my technique, compete, have fun, and set a couple of PR's. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have even contemplated cutting weight down to 95 kg. Just a few tidbits of info about myself. I turned 35 in Feb. so I will be in the Masters division. I have C&J 255#. I have only snatched 155#. Although I have only started to put in some major time on the snatch. I have read G. Everett's book. Most of my Olympic experience came from playing college football. Thanks in advance.
Greg Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Timothy Scalise

good luck bro! comps are freaking awesome, I must warn you though after you compete you may end up gearing all of your training to oly lifting lol. your meet is really soon, I would figure out what your opeing lifts are going to be in both and work up to them in training. get really consistant on those lifts. then the week of the meet do a back of, just lift light to keep form crisp, then at the meet do your openers and see how you feel from there. you will have a bit of an adrenaline rush and the weights will feel super light compared to training. Good luck again, cant wait to hear you you do.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Dave Paton

I would recommend getting someone who knows about Oly meets to coach you at the meet. I would've been lost if I didn't have a coach at my first meet. And by coach, I don't mean someone to correct your form etc, but someone who knows how oly meets work. A few guys didn't have coaches or teammates at the meet and they looked a little lost and not really enjoying themselves.
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Yuen Sohn

Yeah, if you can buddy up with a coach, that will be a huge help in counting attempts and pacing your warm-ups.

I still consider myself a comp. newbie, but here are some things I've found useful so far (most of which I learned the hard way ):

Unless you're one of the first lifters, the biggest pain in the ass will probably be the timing of your warm-ups. If you do end up going solo, try to figure out the order of lifting as soon as possible and make sure to periodically check the competitor's cards (on the announcer's table) in between your warm-up lifts...take note of any large jumps and/or potential bottlenecks, where a bunch of people are taking the same weight. Figure that anyone starting about 10kgs or more below your opener will most likely take all 3 of their lifts before you go. Pay attention to attempt changes and listen to the announcer for who's "on deck" and who's "in the hole."

If you haven't already, determine the timing and warm-up sequence you feel comfortable with in working towards your 1st attempts. If for some reason your warm-ups aren't feeling so hot on competition day, don't hesitate to drop your opener by a few kgs. It's your first meet after all, so nothing wrong in being conservative.

Beyond that, make sure to wait for the down signal and follow the bar down when lowering it to the platform.

Pack your bag the night before and I'd suggest bringing tape, band-aids, water and food in addition to your USAW card, warm-up clothes, singlet and shoes...I HAVE seen people forget their shoes, of all things! Also, bring a video camera so you can post your lifts here in celebration of your first comp.

Good luck and have a blast!
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Greg Boyd

Many thanks guys. Some real good information. I've been ill the last couple of days and my training has suffered. I have been trying to mentally go through the day. I have also been watching videos of the lifts. I think that helps me see and feel were my body is supposed to be throughout the lift. That may be a carryover from my golf days.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Boyd
Greg Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Welcome to the Party.

What others have written is awesome advice. Please share your thoughts and perspective along the way.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paton View Post
I would recommend getting someone who knows about Oly meets to coach you at the meet. I would've been lost if I didn't have a coach at my first meet. And by coach, I don't mean someone to correct your form etc, but someone who knows how oly meets work. A few guys didn't have coaches or teammates at the meet and they looked a little lost and not really enjoying themselves.
This reflects my experience, too. I learned more from lifting with experience lifters in a competition than I did in several months of lifting.

Pick your weights conservatively, try to hit 6 for 6, and watch what the other guys do (how long they take between attempts, how they select weights, etc.). Have fun.