Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #171
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Welcome to PM, Michael. Obviously it's necessary to have a baseline of fitness for any endeavor (maintaining a stance, running an out pattern, etc.). If that is missing, some remedial work is necessary.

As a former pro, what is your take on CFFB and its effectiveness for various levels (novice teens new to lifting, players with several years' lifting that have presumably stopped growing taller, and professionals)? Will main page CFFB change depending on the season, or is this up to the S&C coaches to program for this?

I talked to Justin just a little about this yesterday. I'll have more time with him this afternoon.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #172
Michael Houghton

As a former pro, I wish I'd had this stuff around when I was playing. Believe it or not, I'm in so much better shape now than I ever was. I believe that during season, the programming will change. The programming stuff that we went over was pretty good. The amateur level is basically a linear progression, like SS. As you get into the collegiate level, it's a bit more complex, with a couple of cycles. (I have my notes somewhere). The professional level we did not have time to get into, but it was based on the fact that high level athletes, and even more experienced ones need something more than just the linear progression in order to get stronger and make progress in the weight room. This was explained by talking about Max Mormont, who needs to be creative and work for 6 months on stuff before he PRs by like 5 lbs.

As far as other stuff, they said that if you have other exercises, or have athletes that can't deadlift normal, then it is up to the S&C coaches to work on this. Hopefully this makes sense, I know you all know about the SS stuff, but just wanted to let people know what I learned. It was interesting to see the theory behind all of this stuff this weekend. I put together a powerpoint of my notes, and want to get clearance before I send it to people. I don't know how that works.

Hope this makes sense.

On another note, I have started my foray into Oly Lifting, and will be visiting here more often. Should be fun!
Michael Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #173
Garrett Smith

I'm with Arien. Let's make it stop.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #174
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Who is "we?" Because if it includes me, then no. Again, I have said time and time again that I am NOT arguing against this. Can you find any quote from me in the past 3 pages that shows I am arguing this?
This thread is about "Crossfit Football", which should probably be considered GPP geared towards Football, thus sporting performance in football... not work capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
And come on, someone post a training routine from a pre 1960's bodybuilder (or anyone) that looks legitimately similar to the main site CF WODs.
Jack Lalanne used a lot of circuit type training, as well lots of hand balancing and calisthenics, etc. Other bodybuilders of the time also used rings, not sure about Lalanne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Houghton View Post
I was at the cert, and one of the interesting points brought up was that the general physical preparedness you get from CrossFit allows you to be more efficient at learning the skills that are particular for your sport. The athlete needs to be able to work for long periods of time at a particular skill in order to get better at it. If they are unable to do a cone drill 4 or 5 times in a row without being wrecked, doing that drill is worthless. I think that this is the basic premise of using CrossFit and then gearing the workouts towards Football sport specific times, exercises, etc.

Please excuse me if I just made no sense at all, just a thought.
Yes, this is how I think of it. Everything for sports is always founded on some type of GPP. If you don't have an good base to build on you wont go far. Even powerlifters need GPP, otherwise they wont be able to get through an intense workout or be able to recover quickly enough for the next. The extent a powerlifting needs GPP, and the type of GPP, varies great from Football. Either way, the GPP is not the focus of the training, but the sports performance is, which also needs tons of specific strength, speed, endurance, technique and skill work, but GPP is the foundation.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #175
Kevin Perry

I got lost somewhere at the beginning and then I saw something widicnsihsfhs or whatever and it must have taken me 15 min to figure out what you guys were talking about.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #176
Justin McCallon

Ok sorry. I guess I have trouble stopping an argument without either agreeing the other person is right, or feeling like my point is actually understood. The discussion was kinda abstract and moved significantly from the original point we were discussing. That was dumb, sorry.
Justin McCallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #177
Justin McCallon

Ok sorry. I guess when I am having a discussion with someone and there is a disagreement over something, I have trouble stopping without either agreeing the other person is right (which I regularly will do), or feeling like my point is actually understood. The discussion was kinda abstract and moved significantly from the original point we were discussing so I guess that even though the point was pretty innocent, it was kinda confusing. That was dumb, sorry.
Justin McCallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #178
Chuck Kechter

This thread made my head hurt.

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #179
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
I got lost somewhere at the beginning and then I saw something widicnsihsfhs or whatever and it must have taken me 15 min to figure out what you guys were talking about.
I still don't know what they are talking about.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #180
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post

Nose hairs, Kevin...I'm talking about nose hairs. Puleeeez Keep Up.