Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 03-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Chris Salvato

Default Albert Einstein - Vegetarian Quote

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein

Ho ho...i am guessing the brisket lovers on this forum would disagree...

I find it funny to see this is another quote by the big AE:

"If you can't explain something simply, you don't know enough about it." ~Albert Einstein

I am guessing the former quote reinforces the latter? :P Maybe? I think that vegetarian diets are stupid, obviously. I am guessing Einstein was more talking about long term sustainability...then again, vegetarianism wasn't even so plausable until genetic engineering which was after his time.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

And therein lies the problem with people's willingness to accept the advice of experts on topics OTHER THAN THEIR FIELD.

Noam Chomsky comes to mind for one... brilliant for liguistics and comp sci.... but then people rally around him and use him as a figure for politics? Fail.

Einstein is no dietician nor does he have extensive experience with dietetics from what I know. So there's no reason to take his opinion in this subject above the average joe. Same with docs and nutrition, and many other professions speaking into areas they have no thorough knowledge or research about. I don't expect a physicist to educate me on economics.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
And therein lies the problem with people's willingness to accept the advice of experts on topics OTHER THAN THEIR FIELD.

Noam Chomsky comes to mind for one... brilliant for liguistics and comp sci.... but then people rally around him and use him as a figure for politics? Fail.

Einstein is no dietician nor does he have extensive experience with dietetics from what I know. So there's no reason to take his opinion in this subject above the average joe. Same with docs and nutrition, and many other professions speaking into areas they have no thorough knowledge or research about. I don't expect a physicist to educate me on economics.

What about ben stein? Brilliant Actor AND economist. :P aside from the fact that the 2009 depression totally went over his head... haha
Old 03-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post

as much as I can't stand Noam Chomsky (it's his voice mostly) you pretty much undercut your case there as Noam has been "doing" political science as long or longer than linguistics. I don't agree with his conclusions but he's still a bit of a force and has developed a lot of original work outside of his formal background in academia.....you might conclude he's insane (i think he might be) but he is an expert of sorts.

further, most of the dogma and bad thinking is perpetuated by experts in their field who don't spend enough time in the real world. A lot if interesting work is done by people of the fringes who lack formal training in the field but who are doing real "science" all the time.

I'll back an accomplished hack over an educated tool any day. besides, without hacks and blowhards, we wouldn't have message boards.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Well, whatever the facts are with Noam, my case isn't undercut at all. Just a "bad" example on my part then.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Matthew Bacorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
I'll back an accomplished hack over an educated tool any day.
I was thinking about this today. Powerlifters have managed to get really strong for a long time without listening to experts; they simply busted their ass day in and day out.

Expertise, I think, can be overcome by effort in many cases. We're just a lazy lazy country that takes advice from anyone official looking who will give it.

How else could hollywood influence political opinion? Its downright sad...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Mike ODonnell
This message has been deleted by Mike ODonnell.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
“Man was put on this earth to eat meat...The Bible says so dumbbell...I mean look it up will ya? All them old bible peoples, they was always eating meet; soon as they found out eating apples was wrong...It's true, on special occasions: goats and lambs. Who the hell ever hear of sacrificing a head of lettuce? You?”
quote from Archie Bunker
Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Bacorn View Post
I was thinking about this today. Powerlifters have managed to get really strong for a long time without listening to experts; they simply busted their ass day in and day out.

Expertise, I think, can be overcome by effort in many cases. We're just a lazy lazy country that takes advice from anyone official looking who will give it.

How else could hollywood influence political opinion? Its downright sad...

Matt, I'm sure you're aware of this, but if you drop the "r" from you last name, it spells.......................................BACON.............................how cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Matt, I'm sure you're aware of this, but if you drop the "r" from you last name, it spells.......................................BACON.............................how cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jay, that literally made me rofl

One thing everyone is forgetting to mention is that vegetarianism may be the only way for sustained life of humans....in like 500 years or so :P Especially with technology like stackable farms, etc.

Unless genetic modification and cloning take off for food production purposes, we will all have to go the way of the vegan in the distant future, imho. Einstein, imho, was focusing on this aspect....even though, as I said, things like stackable farms and genetically engineered plants didn't exist in his lifetime
Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Of course its one letter from ACORN as well, which would make him a nut!
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote