Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #21
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
I'm having a blast just doing my own little approach to MovNat with no formal training. I just run through the woods at random, lifting heavy rocks, carrying them, sprinting, crossing streams, climbing trees and rocky structures, tossing rocks, climbing up steep hills, walking interspersed with sprints, walking across narrow logs and tree limbs to test my balance, etc. it's tons of fun and I feel great. I like this style of training more than CF because I feel vibrant and healthy after every session. With Crossfit I feel nauseous and sick after a hard workout.
You've found something you enjoy, and it improves your quality of life. I can't think of anything better.

Unless you're one of the people like Garrett mentioned that needs remedial training, you can do this by getting your ass outside of the gym and playing outdoor sports. Run or bike the trails. Do parkour. Take a tai chi class in the park. Paying to get certified in this is like paying for bottled water. Unfortunately it has come to that for a number of people.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Greg Battaglia

Quote:
Paying to get certified in this is like paying for bottled water. Unfortunately it has come to that for a number of people.
Haha, good point

I also want to state that I have no beef with CF whatsoever. Crossfit changed my life for the better a few years ago, Not to mention that it's free and incredibly effective, can't argue with that. I'm just excited about this because it's very fun and effective. I definitely agree that people who are severely overweight and out of shape would need gym training first. That's what I hope to accomplish with a CF gym, get people fit so that they can go out and enjoy life with their renewed capabilities.

P.S.
Rafe, you hold parkour seminars don't you? Do you do any in the Philly area?
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
Duke McCall

This looks remarkably similar to what I used to do as a kid. I loved running through the woods, jumping over creeks (ocassionally landing on snakes), crawling under logs, climbing trees, etc. I had forgotten how much fun I used to have doing this. Thanks for the reminder! I think I will be going on a little "nature hike" Saturday.
Duke McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #24
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
I definitely agree that people who are severely overweight and out of shape would need gym training first.
Nope, they need nutrition training first. You can retrain them to walk all you want but if they are downing Frito's and M&Ms all the time you won't be doing much good no matter how hard you push them.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #25
Rafe Kelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
You've found something you enjoy, and it improves your quality of life. I can't think of anything better.

Unless you're one of the people like Garrett mentioned that needs remedial training, you can do this by getting your ass outside of the gym and playing outdoor sports. Run or bike the trails. Do parkour. Take a tai chi class in the park. Paying to get certified in this is like paying for bottled water. Unfortunately it has come to that for a number of people.
I don't want to come across as Erwans pimp but you could say this for damn near everything people get certs for. Kids learn to lift by playing around with picking things up why bother with going to barbell or olympic lifting cert, Kenyans learn to run by running to school every day, who needs a pose cert, every kid wrestles fights etc why study martial arts every kid plays by running jumping and climbing why go to parkour teacher. Here's the thing we don't get to spend all our time playing and being physical as children there is tremendous gap between what we are physically capable of and what we express given modern lifestyles. The same reason, its worth training with BJJ black belt, a Pose certified coach, Mark rippetoe, or Parkour generations apply to MovNat. The only difference is MovNat is trying to offer a more complete physical education. Everything comes down to a cost benefits analysis but what I see here is people who have not done the training have not attempted to equal the performance dismissing the benefits without any real thought.

Greg I offer clinic were ever someone is interested in bringing me in to teach them.
Rafe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
Greg Battaglia

Quote:
Nope, they need nutrition training first. You can retrain them to walk all you want but if they are downing Frito's and M&Ms all the time you won't be doing much good no matter how hard you push them.
You're preaching to the choir on that one.

Rafe,

Good points. I agree with you that Erwan is out to help people and I think his system is great. I just don't think I would personally need to attend a MovNat seminar. I already know how to move my body properly after years of doing Crossfit. When I started my own little version of MovNat it wasn't like I had to relearn anything, I just got right to it and had a blast. The only thing I really had to get used to was running on rough terrain with minimal footwear. I may attend a seminar depedning on the price just because it would be a blast to experience this type of fun with other people.

Also, when it comes to parkour, how did you learn the movements? Was it self-taught or did you recieve training? I just want to learn the basics so I can begin to navigate the city in a fun way. I just want to expand my ability to move freely through dynamic settings.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #27
Mike ODonnell

Side note.....I need to start doing IF certs....at $1000 a pop to teach people how not to eat...then eat.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #28
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Side note.....I need to start doing IF certs....at $1000 a pop to teach people how not to eat...then eat.
If CF can sell Zone certs, you could sell IF certs. Let CF package it, spend a few hours explaining how to not eat, take your fat commission check and make it rain at your local ATL "establishment."
Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #29
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe Kelley View Post
I don't want to come across as Erwans pimp but you could say this for damn near everything people get certs for. Kids learn to lift by playing around with picking things up why bother with going to barbell or olympic lifting cert, Kenyans learn to run by running to school every day, who needs a pose cert, every kid wrestles fights etc why study martial arts every kid plays by running jumping and climbing why go to parkour teacher. Here's the thing we don't get to spend all our time playing and being physical as children there is tremendous gap between what we are physically capable of and what we express given modern lifestyles. The same reason, its worth training with BJJ black belt, a Pose certified coach, Mark rippetoe, or Parkour generations apply to MovNat. The only difference is MovNat is trying to offer a more complete physical education. Everything comes down to a cost benefits analysis but what I see here is people who have not done the training have not attempted to equal the performance dismissing the benefits without any real thought.

Greg I offer clinic were ever someone is interested in bringing me in to teach them.
Rafe, you're using specific sport training examples here, but I get what you're saying. I'm just saying it's a shame that people have gotten to the point that they have to get educated on how to move like they are programmed to do!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #30
Rafe Kelley

Greg I was mostly self taught when I started training 4 years ago there was very little info available very little access to the founders and very small communities scattered around the nation nothing like now. I have had the opportunity over the last two years to travel a bit a learn from some of the best guys in england france and here in the states which has been great as far as refining my training and overcome mental boundaries the movements i mostly had to figure out on my own.

Which has made it all the more amazing to see how fast my students progress stuff that took us 6 months to figure out with good progressions we can teach students to do in course of week. It took the first girls in our scene a couple years to learn to to kong vaults with the girls I am training now I can often teach them how in a day provided they are decently fit.

Gant, agreed it is shame that we have to teach people skills that should simply come with growing up, but that is all the more reason to we need to get it out to people. I am really looking forward to seeing the kids of the first generation of people to practice things like parkour and MovNat to see what we are really capable growing up in an environment were we are encouraged to develop out movement ability its going to be beautifull thing.
Rafe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote