Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Steve Shafley

Well, well, well.

23-Mar-07
268#

Pierre sent me 7 workouts. Thank you Pierre.

This is the first:

Skills Practice:

L-sits
KB Sotts Press

-did 4 rounds of practice on each. My L-sits are short and don't look like Ls. Isometric holds like that are obviously a glaring weakness.

-Sotts press...light practice went ok.

Strength:

1 Arm KB Sotts Press: 24kg kb x 3 each hand, x10

-this started badly, got better, then as I got tired towards the end turned ugly again. I was only able to do 1 Sotts with the 32kg kb, so I had to go down.

WOD:

DARC swingx10
1H pressx5
1H thrusterx10
Figure 8x5

20 minutes, for rounds.

I did 8 complete rounds.

I didn't clarify with Pierre, so it I counted each hand switch in the DARCs and one rep...I hope that was correct, then I alternated hands each round for the 1 handed stuff.

At the end of 5 rounds, which I completed continuously, there was 12 minutes left on the clock, and my heart rate was 168 bpm. Note that it took me the rest of the time to do 3 more rounds.

This got tough fast, and basically there were several places I had to stop to breathe and puss out, and it was always during the thrusters.

Afterwards I hit some hip flexor, glute, hamstring and quad stretches, and did some shoulder prehab.

I did this at night, so you know it's going to fuck my sleep up.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Pierre Auge

Steve,
you did everything correctly including the DARC Swings.

Yep the unilateral thrusters suck ass, but your a big strong guy who needs to be able to think and breath if the shit hits the fan. I'm going to play to your weaknesses and hopefully I can show you how to turn them into strengths!

One question what weight did you use for the workout?

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Steve Shafley

I used the 1.5 pood or 24 kg for the entire thing, including the 10x3 of Sotts.

I started with the 32kg, but 1 rep was tough, and the second rep usually missed due to stability issues and the kb spiraling around my arm.

Based on this workout, the problem areas revealed:

-Exceedingly poor L-sit strength. Think 5 second holds of a shitty L-sit
-Unstable in heavier kb Sotts presses...this can be fixed with frequency, and probably on a fairly quick basis.
-Lack of conditioning in whatever energy system the conditioning work was supposed to draw on.
-Because I was sucking wind so hard, that there were times I just put the kb down and breathed...basically a candyass move that I wouldn't have done if someone was there, but since I was alone, I took the easy way out.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #14
Pierre Auge

1. Whenever it says L-Sits do Tuck-Sits (pull your knees to your chest), press down with your shoulders.

2. Your right put a bit of practice into the Sotts press and you'll have it in your arsenal with little effort.

3. Steve,
you've got to think more about work rest intervals. That candy ass move can be a life saving skill when it gets down to the nitty gritty. I'm always harping on my athletes about it because everyone just wants to bash through in a single effort not realizing that they are screwing themselves in the end. In fact I've got three guys whom after only a couple of months I can throw any of the benchmark girls at and they will churn out a really good time without any warning because they've been willing to "put the bar down".

Most people who teach this shit you wont see walk up to their athlete mid set when they are doing fine and tell them to stop and drop. You're ex military right? Unless I'm mistaken. You should understand that the ability/willingness to stop/pause reassess a situation/bearings and carry on can mean mission completion or failure, life or death and plays directly into work capacity or mean power output... Why doesn't anybody teach this shit?

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Old 03-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #15
Steve Shafley

No, not ex-military.

I do understand the concept of modulating rest periods and strategic rests, but, since I'm in bad shape, I figure a bit of pushing will do me good.

Post Mortem:

My shoulders are sore, very sore.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #16
Pierre Auge

Oh sorry about that must have been an arrant thought. (mil. assumption) my bad!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
Steve Shafley

OK...Repeated that above workout.

Got 10 rounds today.

However, I managed the time, i.e. every 2 minutes I did another round, and fatigue did not build up as quickly and smash me the way it did when I just went for it.

The Sotts were easier, but still couldn't really get more than a random single with my right arm with the 32.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #18
Pierre Auge

Thats pretty good!

Old 04-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #19
Steve Shafley

Finally. Talk about me being extremely damn lazy.

Auge Workout2, Week1

Seated press and front squat practice.

Front squat: 10x3

315x3 (x4)
335x3 (x1)
355x3 (x1)...very hard. Almost missed the last rep twice. 1 time by stalling when coming up, and the second time when the bar almost rolled out of the rack position when I bent over a bit too far.
315x3 (x4) ...well, about set 8 I started to try to talk myself out of the last two sets. I pushed through the voice.

-I'm going to be singing the volume blues. After the sets at 315 got "easy" I wanted to titrate the sets of 3 upwards to a higher percentage of my daily 3RM. Cybernetic periodization at it's finest! Notice I ended up back where I started.

Then my daughter woke up from her nap. So, I will have to do the second half later tonight. How convenient.

That would be:

Conditioning: 5 rounds for time
185#
Cleans x3 (I did PCs)
DLs x 6 (I did sumo just to do something really different, I never sumo)
Floor press x9

STAY TUNED!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
Steve Shafley

The conditioning.

9:56

pc x3, dlx6, floor press x9

5 rounds, 185#

Breathing like a locomotive.

sumo, sumo, rdl, rdl, conv. dl

Tried to find the hardest, none of them were hard, sumo felt the most awkward, due to my general infamiliarity with the movement.

What's kind of funny is that my hands are really fatigued and that my forearm are pumped.