Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Liam priority is the muscle up because climbing strength is a big weakness for me in parkour hip power and explosiveness much less son.

Yeah I can see that by the huge difference between your Shoulder Press and Jerk.
Still impressive work. I want more of what youve got alot of. My SP is 175# solid and my Jerk is barely 205#.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Hey Rafe... you coming to beast coast jam this year?

Chris and I should be there this year. Um, not sure about any others.. I'm sure Ryan may come, and a bunch of others you know from the Tribe and such should be there as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #13
Rafe Kelley

Not sure Steven I really need to out to primal one of my goals this summer is to spend a week with all of the other major parkour instructrion programs in north america. On the weekend of the beast coast jam there is the first big west coast jam in the bay area and possible another big jam in ohio trying to figure out where I need it go. Would love to meet you all though.

Liam, yeah its frustrating having weird weakness isn't it, that is crazy only being able to add 4 pounds between press and jerk, maybe you should do some Parkour training get your hips opened up ;-) . Last year I added 120 pounds to my deadlift and just 15 to my overhead press. Upper body strength has always come slower for me and 2 rotators cuff tears and a separated shoulder don't seem to have helped the situation, I am hoping that mixing up bench, weight pull ups and dips in addition to the the press and muscle up will help me make faster gains.

On to the log.

04/14/09
Still a little sick but body felt better.
Parkour: 1.5 hour photo shoot, 2 main areas worked one was 12-13 foot gap across a creek which we did probably 10 ten times as well as some playing around with other smaller gaps and combination while the photographer set up. The next main area was big tic tac over a gap on a group of boulders and a horizontal wall run to crane on the way back. Which we did probably 20 times. Definitely allot more repetition then we would normal do of such high impact skills.

Injuries: Pulled hamstring . Slipped on a seaweed covered rock jogging between areas and somehow managed to pull a hammie way up on the inside near the attachment I bruised this area a couple months ago on bailed underbar and it was sensitive for awhile infact the whole groin area on the left has felt a bit tweaky been doing lots of stretching a foam rolling alas seemingly not enough. Probably not going to be able to squat for at least a week .

Weight lifting: Power clean: 88x5 132x5, 176x1, 187x1, 198x1, 210x1(bodyweight and PR) 220x1(PR), 232x1(previous squat clean PR), 242 fail. Felt pretty amazing to bust through my old PR like that. I feel like there is still alot of room for improvement my initiation point on my second pull is still inconsistent 232 didn't really feel hard but my technique was breaking down which bite me at 242.

Bench press, 88x5, 132x5, 176x5, 210x3(first time bench pressing bodyweight which is cool didn't hit 5 reps which is lame).

Last edited by Rafe Kelley; 04-15-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Clarity
Rafe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
Rafe Kelley

04/15/09
Woke up late still feeling under the weather, pain in hamstring was about 50 percent reduced which was suprising and big relief I can do air squats with only minor soreness. Still skipped parkour training to emphasise recover.

Weight Training
Press 5x88 1x132, 1x142, 1x 146(Possibly a PR) 1x150(fail), handstand push ups limited range of motion 1x5. Push press 156 1x5, push jerk 176 1x5
Weighted pull ups plus 35 1x5, plus 40 1x10 kipping.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Rafe Kelley

04/17/09
Still feeling sick but significant improved. Hamstring pull is recovering way faster then expected the specific sharp pain high near the attachment was virtually gone the though the left ham and groin were still tight and bit achey chose to put in a light training day anyways.

Sprints: Warm up with quadrudal, standard, side monkey, and gallop, pose pulling drills, then 5x40 yard sprints up hill on grass barefoot so nice to feel warm grass in between my toes. Form felt good no time.

Strength Training Wanted to take it easy but also try to hit enough elements to kind of make up for what I missed this
Wall Mantle: 5x1
Ring Muscle Up self assisted plus 20 pounds: 3x3
Front Squat: 45 1x10, 88 1x5, 176 2x5
Power Clean: 45 1x10, 88 1x5, 176 x 2x5
Deadlift: 353 1x3

Notes:
Felt like the cleans and Deadlift were easier then expected its amazing to feel 350 pounds rise almost quickly. Hit the first Wall Mantle almost perfect pulled past the transition landed in a half dip had to push from there, next four I land just past the transition and had to push all the way from the bottom of the dip.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #16
Rafe Kelley

04/20/09
Mostly recovered from my cold but having some insomnia issues though sense I don't work except evenings I can make up for it by sleeping into a degree still need to get it in order. Slept form 3:30 am to 11:00 am last night.

Parkour Training
2.5 hours, ran down whatcom creek, mix flowing routes over boulders, rock hopping, lots of difficult precisions running and standing on slippery rocks, kongs over fallen trees, drops, cliff jumps, not as productive in terms of working towards any of my immediately goals but a beautiful training out in one of my favorite places it was great to be in the water again. Biggest accomplishment was double kong over to logs the distance wasn't great but the second log was higher then the first and the run up was difficult due to uneven terrain and moss. Double kongs are one of those skills I have been able to do to some degree for awhile but not able to master diving into the second hand placement f's with my mind so getting this one was big, doing it outside in difficult situation. Ran two miles on the way back uphill. Longest I have run in ages, I hate just running, wasn't really hard with my current level of fitness but I monotonous low level discomfort is just really lame. How anyone makes that their sport boggles my mind.

Weight Training
Took a nap after parkour training then went down and did strength training skipped sprints today because of the long run and just feeling a little worn down. Felt unfocused and fatigued from my earlier work out even with the nap.

Overhead press, 1x10 bar, 1x5 95. 3x5 120(had to push press the last two on my final set.
DH Pull ups: 12, 9, 5(hit 15 on these a few weeks ago so this was disappointing)
LB back Squat: 1x5 bar, 1x5 135, 1x5 225, 1x1 275, 1x1 295, 1x1 315, 1x3 345(shooting for 5 here but did not feel as strong as the last time, bar moved real slow on three went down in the hole on four and just felt overwelmed dumped the bar)
Deadlift 395 1x3 PR(again wanted to hit 5, but started to feel my form collapse with the bar just below my knees on 4 and decided to call it a day).
All in all it was an ok work out still hit a pr, but my strength wasn't were I wanted to me. I have some excuse coming out of the cold, interrupted training and probably doing a bit to much in the parkour department today, going to try to go to sleep now and see if I can do better tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
Timothy Scalise

I skimed through this, plan on going back and reading it more. I have always been interested in how the parkour people train, that stuf is sick. If you could get videos of your stuff that would kick so much ass.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #18
Rafe Kelley

Thanks Tim glad your interested in the log I haven't created a sampler in two years so the videos I have are don't seem that great to me but here they are.

Recorded after 1.5 years of training my only really thought out video allot of the editing and a bunch of movement makes me cringe now but people seem to like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVc8b...e=channel_page

Clips from my 06 and 07 training featuring, whatcom falls, larrabee state park, Lisses france, and London england.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrXwx...eature=channel

Seattle IAM interveiw featuring me Tyson Cecka and Brandee Laird.
http://www.seattleiam.com/videos/0b2f6eb44291

MN training I lead at Whatcom Falls
http://www.vimeo.com/937820
Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 AM   #19
Timothy Scalise

DAMN... your pretty bad ass there man. definatly will keep up with this. its not my sport, but I like to watch it none the less.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #20
Rafe Kelley

Thanks tim I don't think I am anything special as far as parkour but I enjoy it tremendously and love the progress I see myself make.

04/21/09
Missed parkour and oly lifting because I had a short notice meeting, did a little gymnastics stuff back lever, front lever, l-hold and tuck hold and handstand work for 10 minutes before work, was able to hold my tuck front lever at parellel for the first time for about 5 seconds had some good handstand holds as well. Did a short conditioning workout after work.
AMRAP 5 minutes
Double KB snatches 16 kg 15
Push ups 15
4 rounds
That was killer haven't programmed push ups into any of my metcons in ages and forgot how once you reach failure the became just monstrous simple push ups. Going to have do program them in more.