Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Derek Simonds

Just be super aware of your recovery when you start BJJ it is very difficult to train multiple times a week for MT / BJJ and lift like you are.

I switch emphasis throughout the year. I will be in a strength tear and won't push as hard in BJJ then getting ready for a tournament I will put the majority of time into BJJ. It is always a balancing act.

Best of luck. Do you know where you are going to be training BJJ?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
Jon Brody

Hmm, duly noted...I'll be real cognizent of recovery as I start the BJJ (next week). http://www.bestwayjiujitsu.com/ (part of ATT) I'll be training out of their West Haven, CT location, hopefully 3x/week...it's maybe ~5m from my crib.

I tried out a couple classes a while back and got a good vibe from the place. You mentioned switching gears and not pushing as hard at times, which makes a lot of sense; and, it's something I'll shoot for when I start, simply by virtue of being a newb, but it should give some aid to my body adapting to the routine, also.

My vision is really going out of my way to emphasize feel/tecnique/control during the BJJ while I complete my "50 Day Plan"; then I can try to step it up a notch while I can also tweak my diet (assuming I've leaned out by that pt.).
Jon Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Jon Brody

Monday: Maximal Strength

aka So Much For Muscle Soreness

BS 225#x5, 245x5, 255x5

Maxed @ 225# last week. Decent improvement; it was pretty difficult on the last set, and I don't think I should have tried to jump much more weight.

SP 115#x5, 125x5, 125x5

Maxed at 105#x5 last week, 115#x3. Amazing how much stronger I felt this week. I feel like I could have gone for 130-135 on my last set, perhaps....

BP 185#x5, 185x5, 185x5

Maxed 185#x4 last week, 155#x5. Still feel like a weakling @ BP, but huge improvement from last week!

Hammer Chest Press Machine 180#x5, 200x3, 230x1

DL 365#x5

355# last week. In retro, I did more of a stiff-dl last week. This week, I pulled the weight surprisingly swiftly, and it was my grip (can't use chalk @ gym lol) that nearly betrayed me.

Finisher -- 5x5 clap pushups, 15s rest between, 3 double-claps last set
Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Jon Brody

Tuesday: BW MetCon and Core

30s burpees + 30s jumping jacks + 30s "hip switches" (i.e. hands on hips, chest up, legs scissoring vertically) + 30s burpees + 30s jumping jacks + 30s mountain climbers

5rounds, 30s rest between

My quads felt pretty sore going in, and they quickly got pillaged and a deep burn reverberated through them through for most of the workout....the hip switches and even the jumping jacks were unreal, surprisingly brutal....by the last round I partially came to peace w/ the pain lol....I pushed myself hard, but not a total ME -- I took a few quasi-active few-second rests during many of the rounds, and I subbed like 20s of the mountain climbers w/ a plank hold.

5 flags -- >10 side bends (5x/side) 80# DB --> 15 knee tucks --> 20 chinnies

3 circuits, little rest between exercises, 60-90s between circuits

My core feels ravaged (in a good way). I liked this routine a lot. I might even give it a pet name -- "Quadruple Double" --....haha.... I kept at the gymnastic statics, and having been paying particular attention to planche progressions, and am def seeing improvement. The L-sit from the floor I'm having a supremely hard time getting to and holding for even a second, but I'll keep at it. Handstands are something I need to incorporate also.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Jon Brody

Wednesday: REST

Actual rest... going into the city for the day -- 50/50 business/pleasure.....def needed today off....have a BEAST of a metcon tomorrow...!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
Jon Brody

Thursday: Density MetCon

5 PU's --> 10 medball slams --> 15 burps --> 20 jumping jacks = 1 round

AMRAP/20m

6 **or** 7 rounds, + 5PU, 10slams, 2burps....followed by some bicep iso work @ globo

**I honestly lost count in the heat of battle; one or the other, but truly not sure either way.

I went in feeling kinda ill...stomach had been wacky the past 48h and I had some sinus issues....sucked it up anyways after a self-evaluation and put out a real good effort. I felt wasted post-WO, and ironically my stomach has felt much improved since. Brutal workout, either way....very deceptive....10 is the goal, and when I tackle it in another month or two I am getting 8 rounds bare minimum....
Old 04-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
Jon Brody

Friday: Varied Strength

DB Snatches, 4x3, #55 --> #70 --> #80

First time doing....felt pretty strong on them....goal = #100's.

Dips, 5x10 --> 10 --> 10 --> 8 --> 5 --> 5

But a few weeks ago I could barely do 2 half-assed dips....was real happy w/ these 5 sets and my ROM was very solid.

1leg Squats, 4x5 --> 5 --> 5 --> 5 --> 5

Had difficulty (again); though, on my right leg I'm starting to feel stronger and more balanced. I'm still using a flat bench as guidance. Goal = soon go MUCH deeper w/o a bench metric.

RDL DBs, 3x8, #80 --> #100 --> #110

Stepped it up a bit on these; 2nd time doing them. My grip nearly failed me on the #110's but I gutted it out. I feel extremely strong -- especially w/ my very limited training -- on DLs. No real goal, except I want my DL to get to #550.

I've been going into the workouts of late feeling kinda beaten down -- a decent amount of soreness and some general fatigue. But, mentally I've felt amped up and have felt good inter and post WO.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
Jon Brody

Saturday: Interval Sprinting

4x400's, 2m rests -- 1.20, 1.40, 1.58, 1.52

5x50s, jog back and go

felt stiff and fatigued going in....and it was hot as shit......my effort was good, despite the time....I wanted to quit baaaadly after the first two....goal = sub60....it will be done.

Going to Ranger game tomorrow...what a rest day, indeed.....good thing I'm not paleo or zoning cause' tomorrow would be reaping a fuckload of guilt(!)

Also, did some core.....#10 turkish get-ups x5/side --> 20 russian twists on decline bench #10 plate --> plank off stability ball till failure --> 3 rounds
Old 04-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
Jon Brody

Sunday: REST

Was in the city all day for the Ranger game.....UFUOEGFhweouFWUE haha....good, yet brutal times...feel drained, and did a good deal of walking in the city heat. Tomorrow is a new day -- wanna keep up with the PRs!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Jon Brody

Monday/Tuesday: sick....

Took Monday off in addition to my scheduled rest day of Sunday feeling just run down; still feel sick today, though getting a bit better. I'm very tempted to try to make everything up and get in the gym tonight, but I'm not sure...very annoying....

I also ate like shit yesterday, but I'm back on the wagon today, and I somehow didn't eat/drink *that* badly when I went to the Ranger game. I think I'm going to go to the gym tonight and do yesterday's scheduled maximal strenght workout, but if my lifts look like shit I'll just pull the plug, stretch, and rest.