Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #21
Jon Brody

Wednesday through Monday -- SIIIIICK

Got a real bad flu....was pretty horrible....very annoying.....and I ate like shit....

Tuesday: Strength

BS: 225x5 --> 255x5 --> 275x5

PR on the last set!!!

SP: 125x5 --> 125x4 --> 125x2

Disappointing....I started a #10 heavier than last week, when I finished with 2 sets of 125x5....oh well....

DL: 315x5 --> 375x5

PR!!! I felt like I could have "easily" done 2+ more....I'm gunning for a 500+ DL...

OHS: Just used the bar for 3x5, first time testing it out

BP: 185x5 --> 205x3 --> 205x2

Kinda disappointing....I didn't like my mental-effort going in....woulda been PRs on my last 2 sets if I hit 5 reps....will try for it next week.

All in all...coming off a pretty bad ~5 days of illness and eating like shit I lifted pretty well.....squat and DL, especially, I crushed pretty hard, while my BP and SP "declined", though I did try out heavier weights on later sets.
Jon Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #22
Jon Brody

Wednesday: BW Density MetCon

30s burps --> 30s jumping jacks --> 30s split jumps --> 30s burps --> 30s jumping jacks --> 30s mountain climbers (or plank when @ fail)

5rounds, 30s rest between rounds

I felt about as sore as I've felt in a while coming into this...yesterday was my first day back from the flu and I lifted pretty hard....my legs, traps, and shoulders were all sore today -- legs especially. Pretty happy with my effort -- not ball2wall where my teeth and jaw ache and I cough a bit PWO...but solid....eating decent again, too....next week I intend on paleo-zoning and starting w/ BCAA's....

My plan and current state: I feel like I've put on some legit size in just the past month, and my bodyfat has gone down a bit, too....when I start paleo-zoning I'm looking to shed fat like a madman while maintaining at the very worst my strength....weigh ~210 now, want to get to ~190 --> switch to pure paleo and focus on performance --> post-summer look to put on a bit of size.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
Jon Brody

Thursday: Gymnastics, Biceps, Core

Warm-Up --> 5m jump rope

Hammer Curls: 40x6, 50x5, 60x3

Barbell Curl: Bar + 50x8, Bar +70x6, Bar +100x1

Several series and sets of: L-Pulllup Holds, Planche static holds, Physioball-Kimura attempts, l-sit from floor statics

Didn't feel too good throughout the workout...was feeling down emotionally, thus I felt like shit in general. I forget the exact numbers and times on my static work; going by pure "feel", though, I'm definitely getting stronger at them. I realllllly want to be able to hold a full planche.....

Bit of a weird workweek since I missed Monday as a result of the waning days of my illness....tomorrow I'd like to do my power/gymnastic strength training, and then Saturday do my sprint work....will see how I feel tomorrow -- still pretty sore.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #24
Jon Brody

Friday & Saturday & Sunday:

Felt pretty run-down Friday and took the day off....I think the gymnastic statics I did the day before really took a greater toll on me than I expected...plus, first week back from a ~5day illness....

Today (Sat) I helped a friend move. Was pretty intense, actually.....sweated like a madman, pretty constant motion....felt like I was working my legs some, and definitely my traps/shoulders/forearms.

Tomorrow I'm just going to go for a 2mile run, and look to start back with a fresh, full week on Monday!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #25
Jon Brody

Monday: Strength

**I sprained my ankle Saturday, so did jack Sunday, and I also think it messed with my squat a bit today. I also felt like donkeyshit going into the workout -- not physically, per say, but all the same...

BS: 225x5, 255x5, 275x5

Felt weak on these...I didn't go as low as I normally would like (still better than average guy doing them, prolly), and the last set I got a spotter who seemed to give me some veryvery light and modest, but nonetheless "helpful" assistance.

SP: 125x5, 125x5, 125x4

Some PR's here for reps. Last week was x5, x4, x2...I came VERY close to finishing the 5th rep, final set, but my lower back seemed to give out, I got a bit wobbly, and I thankfully just re-set the barbell.

Dumbbell BP:
85x6, 90x6, 100x4

I felt pretty solid on the first two sets...prolly jumped weight too fast, too much final....my ROM wasn't that deep.

RDL: 100x5, 110x5, 125x3

I started to do my usual deads, but my lower back felt kinda funky since I did the SP's earlier, so I did some RDLs instead. My grip failed on the #125s.

Considering my ankle, still kinda recovering from my illness and it's ramifications, and my shit mood, the workout was alright.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #26
Jon Brody

Tuesday: BW MetCon

100 rope turns --> 10 burps --> 10 pushups --> 10 squats

10 rounds for time

Time: 32.50

Pretty bad time, but my effort was pretty good and I felt "good" afterwards. I was pretty sore in my legs going in. Also, I was using a new rope for the first time and the combo of it not being a "speed rope", and my rustiness had me going a good clip slower than I normally would on that portion.

I feel like this should be done in ~20 minutes. I'll try it again in a month or so.

25 static progressions of l-sit holds from floor, and planche progressions. Definite improvement on these. Finished with a plank to failure.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #27
Jon Brody

Wednesday: REST

Thursday: MetCon

10 pull-ups (with palms facing inward at each other) --> 10 double-dumbbell swings (#40's) --> 10 plyo-clap pushups --> 10 jumping nee-tucks = 1 round

AMRAP in 20min --> 5 rounds + 10 pullups + 10 swings + 3 pushups

Really brutal workout...I felt a bit queasy at a few points, which actually made me let up a bit and take some extended breaks....was in a reasonably populated, corporate gym and really couldn't risk hurling....! It took me a loooong time to get my heart-rate down PWO, and I felt really spent, but in a good, pumped-up kinda way. Getting 8 rounds in would be really sweet....10 ideally.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #28
Jon Brody

Friday: Strength

DB Clean/Presses: 4x3, #50's, #70's, #80's, #80's

Mild PR here in weight on my 3rd set...liked my effort.

Dips: 10, 10, 10, 8, 6

PR's in 3rd, 4th, and 5th sets for reps!

1leg Squats: 2x5 per leg

My legs felt kinda wasted going in, so I decided to not overdo the sets. I did set "PRs" in my depth, however, which was my main goal.

I called it quits with that. Just going with how my body felt...opted not to do any RDL's or weighted pull-ups. Will hit it hard tomorrow with sprints and then kill it nxt week.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #29
Jon Brody

Saturday: Modefied Hill Sprints

~10s ME uphill sprints --> 5 360degree burpees --> ~60s rest --> x5

Felt surprisingly spent, and I almost didn't workout today due to time...wanted to do 10 burpees and/or closer to 10 rounds, but I kept it short and sweet. Solid.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #30
Chris H Laing

Whats a 360 degree burpee?