Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #51
Pierre Auge

Yoon,
that would be called a tall clean, just for posterity.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Yuen Sohn
This message has been deleted by Yuen Sohn.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #52
Yuen Sohn

Default 09-Apr-2007: LBH

Got off to a rough start even though I was going light. Was really stinking things up for the first 20 minutes or so. Chilled out for half an hour to wait for the crowd to disperse a bit (it was REALLY packed today).

Worked snatch triples with 40kg and finished with 3 singles at 60.

Warmed up for C&J with tall cleans (thanks Pierre).

Worked clean and jerk to 70kg.

Finished with 3 sets of 5 front squats at 60.

It was getting late so I had to catch the train...

Comments:
Ughh, the first pulls tonight, especially on the cleans, felt really weak. Iím hoping thatís not a sign of things to come.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #53
Yuen Sohn

Default 11-Apr-2007: LBH Light

Went pretty light today.

Snatch Doubles:
1 Power Snatch/1 Squat Snatch
40kgx3
45kgx2
50kgx2

Power Clean & Jerk/Tall Clean & Jerk
40kg x ?
50kg x 2?
60kg x 2
65kg x 2?

Back Squats:
(50x5)x3

Nice, light and fast workout.

Felt really nice today, like I did when I snatched 76 the other week. Really got the sense of arms like ropes and was getting good extension on a lot of the lifts.

Lifted in my singlet today. My Ukranian lifting buddy was amazed that someone with thighs as big as mine could have such a weak squat. Thanks Oskar.

Bodyweight today, with socks, underwear, singlet and full stomach: 73kg
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Michael Shoretz
This message has been deleted by Michael Shoretz.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #54
John Alston

I can bring the camera but I will need a shooter.
Dude! I hope you slept better than I did last night. Werner Herzog might not be the best way to relax before bed...
Still feeling strong, though. YOON WILL HIT PRS I PREDICT!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #55
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
...YOON WILL HIT PRS I PREDICT!
Hope so. I will say for sure that I will be eating PRs in BBQ brisket afterwards.

Thanks Mike. Keep up the good work. I don't know what they're feeding you up there, but keep eating and doing what you're doing...everyone was impressed by your lifting.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #56
Yuen Sohn

Default 14-Apr-2007: Rudy Sablo

Well, I'm disappointed with how I did, but then there's always next time.

Of all the days to be struck with insomnia, it couldn't have come at a worse time. I was in bed by 11PM, but didn't fall asleep until well after 5:00 AM and woke up at 8:30. I spent the morning chugging coffee and Red Bull (I've never considered drinking Red Bull before, but I was that desperate and tired).

Weighed in at 71.5 kg.

Snatch:
-Opened with 70 and just missed...I should have gotten that!!
-Nailed 70 on attempt 2, but in my jubilation and sleep deprivation, dropped it before the down signal. AHHH!!!!!!!
-Missed 76
I am constantly replaying in my head the prematurely dropped 70....ahhhhh!!!

Clean and Jerk:
-Made 85 easy
-Cleaned 91 with a 3-step duckwalk, but had slight pressout on jerk I think - PR Clean
-Made 91 - PR Clean and Jerk

Comments:
For next time, try to get more than 3 hours of sleep.
Time warmups better, especially on the snatch...I went up to 65 and had too much time to kill. Ended up standing around, and taking more lifts than I should to stay warm.

On the bright side, I C&J'd 200 lbs for the first time. And I would not have chosen a different opener on the snatch as I was willing to take the chance of bombing out in order to hit 80. Next time.

For the summer, I would like to increase my snatch confidence. I also want to get my clean and jerk to 100kgs.

For non-oly stuff, I'd like to work towards a muscle-up. Maybe a freestanding handstand pushup as well.

I will post a brief write up in the Weightlifting forum once my videos upload...

Last edited by Yuen Sohn : 04-15-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 04-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #57
John Alston

Hey man, a tough day but you did the weights, you had them up, so you know that it's all there. With 5 hours sleep, u make those lifts.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #58
Elliot Royce

Sorry to have missed it, but surely at your level (which is ahead of me) simply to have competed and lifted some pretty heavy weights (a body weight snatch for me is something like 105kg -- not on the cards for me for years!).

It's the failure that teaches you how to succeed. The next time you'll be better for it.

How was Gary in action? I just see him in his relaxed, coaching mode. Did he give you the "hi-yaaaa" as he lifted?
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #59
Yuen Sohn

Default 18-Apr-2007: What's the Plan?

Ooops, forgot to come up with a plan post-Sablo. Just did a pretty unstructured day.

Tried a few light squat snatches but my body wasn't agreeing with that.

Power Snatches to 65kg. Multiple misses at 70...the bodyweight power snatch will have to come some other time.

Clean and Jerks:
Up to a single at 85...felt ok, just a bit slow catching.

Back Squats:
60kgx5
80x3
90x3
100x2
Tried a second double but got pinned on 2nd rep.

I'll probably resume the high volume speed drills Jeff recommended (I guess that sort of fell apart by the time I added the 7th set @ 40kg, due to meets and stuff). I have the whole summer to work on that now.

Also, get my back squat higher. I'm C&J'ing 91% and snatching 76% of my recent best back squat. I'll do some squat program shopping...I like the sound of Steve Shafley's ladders.

Elliot: Yeah, Gary did indeed do the "HI-YAHHH!" He was pretty intense on the platform. Pretty sharp contrast with his soft-spoken and laid back coaching style.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #60
Dave Paton

I stopped by and trained at the Lost Battalion Hall last Thursday. I don't think you were there. Not sure about any of the other posters here because I didn't really meet the other lifters. However, it was a great experience and Artie was really helpful. It was my first experience with an experienced coach. I did find it a tad odd that no one kept a log of what they were doing (I guess that's what you do here). Artie told me that he writes programs for you guys but I didn't see anyone following anything written down. I live in Tucson but I will probably be back later this summer. See you there!
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote