Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Brian DeGennaro

The only time I deadlift nowadays is during strength cycles and it's only clean and snatch DLs with over 100% of my maxes, nothing anywhere near my real DL max.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Don Stevenson

When I'm trying specifically to improve my deadlift it's twice a week monday and friday with assistance exercises like power cleans or pulls from blocks on the wednesday.

I typically favour 3x5 in the the first week, 3x3, second week and 3x2 in the third week before a back off week.

At the moment I'm not doing any regular deads just heavy pulls from 18" on monday for triples, power cleans tuesday and 3 sets of max reps in fixed time (60 - 90seconds) on wednesday.
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
John Seiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
what's a dynamic effort rdl look like?
Dave,

I just try to pause for a moment at the bottom and then pull as hard and fast as possible while maintaining form. I use 60-70% of 1RM. It's not directly comparable to a Westside-style DE Box Squat because it's not unloaded at the bottom. Hmmm, maybe that's a good idea...

I know you've been around the game a while but I can't recall your Westside exposure. Louie talks about the body not being able to progress lifting at near maxes for more than 3 weeks. I can't comment for anyone else but it's definitely true for me. I started alternating lighter dynamic effort work in an undulating wave a few months ago and it's been working nicely for my squats. Unfortunately life has been f-ing with my ME deadlift days so I can't comment on them.
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
Dave,

I just try to pause for a moment at the bottom and then pull as hard and fast as possible while maintaining form. I use 60-70% of 1RM. It's not directly comparable to a Westside-style DE Box Squat because it's not unloaded at the bottom. Hmmm, maybe that's a good idea...

I know you've been around the game a while but I can't recall your Westside exposure. Louie talks about the body not being able to progress lifting at near maxes for more than 3 weeks. I can't comment for anyone else but it's definitely true for me. I started alternating lighter dynamic effort work in an undulating wave a few months ago and it's been working nicely for my squats. Unfortunately life has been f-ing with my ME deadlift days so I can't comment on them.
interesting. if it works it works. I like it.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
Paul McKirdy

12 day cycle.

ME every 12 days +/- extra rest as intuition requires. This is offset 6 days from 3RM back squats.

in no set order between the conventional squat and deadlift sessions:
-2 DE box squat sessions. Blue bands. One session in Oly shoes, one in chucks.
-1 Speed DL sessions with red bands on a jump stretch platform, approximately 200#s band tension at the top. Next session will be trying out adding deficit from standing on a 100# plate in chucks instead of oly shoes on the jump stretch platform.
-1 RDL session light weight(225#), but lowering weight as fast as possible to increase stopping impulse force at the catch just below knees. Up fast after suspended stop.
- Sometimes substitute a deficit SLDL session. 3x5
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
Jon Brody

Cool programs to tinker w/ going forward.....right now I'm doing 1x5 Monday, 3x8 DB RDL's Friday. My only qualm is "excessive" soreness following the RDL's impacting my monday ME-like effort. So far so good, though.
Jon Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #17
Blair Lowe

1x a week, typically 3 work sets. 5 work sets made for a really shitty training day the next day but ok if it was a rest day.

I used to alternate DL with regular and snatch grip and sometimes stiff leg DL as an assistance. I haven't bothered to lately but may put it in somewhere eventually.

I don't count stuff like jump shrugs or clean or snatch pulls which I haven't done since last year.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote