Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Default MovNat site is up and running

Hey,
not sure if anyone around here even knows about Erwan Le Corre, but he's a French guy who has basically revamped Methode Naturelle and placed an evolutionary spin on it. Anyway, he's got a website up and running and he's going to be offering seminars this summer in the US. I'm very excited about this as I've made MovNat my main form of training and it's the best thing I've ever come across for health and fitness (even Crossfit IMHO). I plan on making this my long-term form of training supplemented by CF.

Anyway, here's the site:

http://movnat.com/

And here's a video of Erwan in action:

http://movnat.com/media/video

An excellent interview with Erwan over at Conditioning Research:

http://conditioningresearch.blogspot...-le-corre.html

And finally, an article in Men's Health:

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&categor y=motivation&conitem=7d7caa4e23adf110VgnVCM1000001 3281eac____&page=1
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Adolfo Riveron

so the basic premise of this is make up a WOD outside using rocks and trees and such?
Adolfo Riveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Nice site.....I like the quote:

“Do not ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” Howard Thurman
Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Adolfo,
did you read the interview? He touches on the principles behind this method. I will say that it is similar to Crossfit in many ways, the main reason I think it's superior is because it actually gets people to learn how to move efficiently through the dynamic and unpredictable nature of the wild. You won't find uneven terrain, slippery surfaces, and mud in a Crossfit gym. Plus it gets people out in the sun (vitamin D), fresh air, and is actually very enjoyable and fun. I don't think a Crossfit workout has ever been "fun" for me. Nevertheless, I still plan on affiliating with Crossfit, but will definitely incorporate MovNat principles once I become certified by that system.

Mike,

I agree. There are plenty of good quotes on the site. I like his whole "Zoo Human" philosophy and how most people in our society just accept that poor health and unhappiness are normal.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
R. Alan Hester

I really dig his approach. I would love to participate in one of his Brazil seminars, with a week of BJJ camp tacked on the end. I would get my ass kicked in two different ways, but it would be enlightening nonetheless.

I agree that his would be a sound approach to long-term fitness. Obstacle course fitness is great. It is the ONLY thing I miss about the army.

What about element of CF, broadly defined, of course, would you use as a supplement?
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Allen Yeh

Funny I was reading that article this weekend and wanted to write up a post about it. It does seem interesting.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yup, the Parkour community has known about him for a while....

Nothing to new to us or anything really.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
George Mounce

Sigh, am I always the party pooper when it comes to opinions (yes I am initially critical of everything unless it proves to me it is worth time/effort/etc).

Why doesn't it have the free access of information flow, or am I missing something...If it costs something up front, then IMHO it is nothing like CrossFit. FWIW I have access to a ton of free information up front on the CF website, plus the multitudes of free information elsewhere. What makes this stand out as different? I mean the premise is sound - we should be in shape for our natural world. But already...seminars, certification...for natural movement? Really? Babies don't need a seminar to crawl, to talk, etc.

Natural movement for humans is in our DNA, I think I've been certified at that for 31 years and going.

Quote:
You will rediscover all the movement skills that made our species one of the most adaptable on Earth! It involves the combined training of walking, running, jumping, balancing, moving on all fours, climbing, lifting, carrying, throwing, catching, swimming and defending.
My 7-mo old with no training from me is already learning these. Babies are born with the instincts to learn these things. Technology doesn't make people lazy, choice makes people lazy, and people frankly embrace the easy, its more efficient. But at the same time, if there were no bridges, buildings, fences, and staircases, we wouldn't have Parkour, or what the inventors of MovNat like to do! So therefore, their product comes from modern technology!

OK, /opinionoff.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Adolfo Riveron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
Adolfo,
did you read the interview? He touches on the principles behind this method. I will say that it is similar to Crossfit in many ways, the main reason I think it's superior is because it actually gets people to learn how to move efficiently through the dynamic and unpredictable nature of the wild. You won't find uneven terrain, slippery surfaces, and mud in a Crossfit gym. Plus it gets people out in the sun (vitamin D), fresh air, and is actually very enjoyable and fun. I don't think a Crossfit workout has ever been "fun" for me. Nevertheless, I still plan on affiliating with Crossfit, but will definitely incorporate MovNat principles once I become certified by that system.
I didnt have time, i had to run to class. ill look at it tonight
Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
Adolfo Riveron

After taking a quick look at it (assignments due tomorrow) it looks good. I already think its a good idea and a fun way to mix things up by doing outdoor wods with whatever the area gives you. The obstacle course training would be fun as well. Rocks, trees, structures, maybe even include sandbags and slosh pipes. I also agree with his diet besides the raw meat thing. Im sure most people here have similar views so nothing too earth shattering.

However i pretty much agree with George that humans pretty much already have movements in their DNA. Also its strange to me that you have almost no access to information until you pay. Maybe im spoiled by the CF and CA community that provides free info yet still have people that show up for seminars.

That is his biggest flaw.
(I also dont trust Men's Health either but thats just me.)

I will have some takeaway from it and come up with natural workouts using natural implements/obstacles but thats not consistent with my goals at the moment. Right now my goals are to improve profficiency with basic gymnastic moves and increase strength in the oly and slow lifts with enough metcon to stay in shape. Hence why im following a Gant style program. When I meet those and have no certain direction i want to go, i will certainly incorporate some of those ideas. Maybe something to play around with during a rest week or something.

Sorry for if this was a hijack