Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #101
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post
With respect to running I can only say: Stay slow and wait for the 'second wind', try to feel your rhythm and after 5--10 minutes things will get dramatically easier. Don't start so fast that your into the lactate threshold zone. If it is necessary start with a baby tempo and don't worry after 3--4 weeks things will get much better.
It's weird because the last 2 times I went out to try just 15 minutes at a very easy pace. I always think I going pretty slowly in my mind but then my body tells me you better stop...or else.

Today at the track I realized what felt like slow the previous run attempts was really more like my 400m pace and I really really need to make myself slow down.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #102
Rick Deckart
Banned

Even when you are slow the first five minutes will probably not feel so good, but don't worry, ~ after that interval the magical 'second wind' will set in, which is nothing else than the time your body needs to adapt to the task at hand, running at a constant tempo. Think about walking tempo and a bit more, just keep moving, if you are able to keep up a conversation during your run the tempo is about right.
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #103
Allen Yeh

May 3, 2007
Rest Day - I'm taking a rest day on purpose! Giving blood in the afternoon in a non fasted state, heh.

Blood letting went well. Tried out those mobility drills for the feet, interesting it was pretty uncomfortable which I wasn't too shocked about. Did them in my hallway of the apartment so it was only a 5 m distance.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #104
Allen Yeh

May 3, 2007 update

I forgot to mention these numbers that the Red Cross took kind of had me wondering about user error.

Temperature - 97.2 (I'm typically lower than 98.7 but this low?)
pulse - 50 (lowest I've ever had so I was definitely thinking user error)
blood pressure - 104/70 (see pulse)
Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #105
Allen Yeh

May 5, 2007
Army PT Test
Maximum reps in 2 minutes:
Pushups - 59
Situps - 62

2 Mile run - Had a mini asthma attack after a mile or so, so I'm not posting my time due to my being dissapointed/embaressed of my finish time.

IMT's all afternoon -low crawl, high crawl, 3-5 second rush
+ sprinting up hills

Notes:
-PT Test - Not happy with my pushup score but I thought this time I'd try a different strategy than what I do all the other times and try to pace out my pushups throughout the 2 minutes. Usually I just hit as many as I can which is around 40 in the first 30 seconds and then rest for a few and bang out more. The pacing method just resulted in me having less total pushups in the first minute.
Situps - 62 I'm fine with this, kept a pretty good pace.
Run - The cold outside just increased my dread for the run and of course after pushing through my 3/5 lap I started to feel the tightness. Bah f!!!in humbug. Oh well I will kill the next test (as long as it's not less then 40 outside).

Training - Wow for once we actually did stuff at drill other than sit around and bitch about how we never do things. The training was great and a really good refresher for myself and good to pass information to the lower enlisted.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #106
Allen Yeh

May 8, 2007
Core Performance pre-training:
Glute bridge marching - 6 L/R
Hip external rotation sidelying - 12 L/R
Leg over - 6 L/R
knee hug - 6 L/R
forward lunge + twist - 3 L/R
knee hug lunge elbow to instep - 3 L/R
drop lunge - 6 L/R
lateral squat - 6 L/R
inverted hamstring forward - 6 L/R

scap pushup - 15, 15
OHS - 45 x 5, 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3
Sotts Press - 45 x 5

Front squat from the bottom - 175 x 5, 175 x 5, 175 x 5, 175 x 5, 175 x 5
(Superset with full rest - 90 seconds)
Inverted row w/ feet on bench - BW x 5, +15# vest x 5, +15# vest x 5, +15# vest x 5, +15# vest x 5, +15# vest x 5

1 leg Straight leg DL - 30 x 8, 30 x 8, 30 x 10
(superset with full rest - 60 seconds)
Neutral Grip Incline DB Press - 70 x 10, 70 x 10, 70 x 10

Barbell curl - 85 x 6, 85 x 6, 85 x 5
(superset with full rest - 60 seconds)
Reverse Crunch on Incline - 15, 15, 15

Foot mobility drills
400m run - to calibrate Ipod+nike thing
400 m walk - to calibrate Ipod+nike thing
Run #1 - 15 minutes - Distance 2.9 km's ~1.8 miles

Notes:
-OHS - 125 felt good
-FS from the bottom - 175 felt good, so next week I'll move up 5#'s.
-1 Leg SLDL - Stick with 30#'s
-Incline press - 70#'s was hard but doable, I'll try 75#'s next week
-Run - I managed to keep my speed low enough that I completed all 15 minutes without stopping except for the stoplights but I kept my feet moving. Used my new ipod+ thing which was kind of cool as it's a pedometer attachment to the ipod, it calculates pace and it has voice telling you how far you've gone or how much time you have left. PRetty neat.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #107
Rick Deckart
Banned

May I ask a question Allen? How do you start the OHS, behind the neck push press, or do you snatch the weight? If you can I would stick to a snatch as long as possible. Seems to work better that way... If you can't snatch the weight, and if you have bumper plates, I would drop the bar, wait 30--60 seconds, clean/power clean it, place it in the rack, wait again 60--120 seconds and use a push press to lift it, if that makes sense. I tried all kind of variations during my OHS cycles and starting those 'snatchable' OHS weights with a snatch seem to work much better in my limited experience. Turns the exercise into sort of complex training, besides it is some good inbetween practice of the Oly lifts. Just something to consider...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:57 AM   #108
Allen Yeh

I usually snatch the weight for the warmup sets, then for the work set I just throw it on the supports and push press it from behind the neck. I'll try to snatch it for today's session.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 AM   #109
Allen Yeh

May 11, 2007
Core Performance pre-training:
Glute bridge marching - 6 L/R
Hip external rotation sidelying - 12 L/R
Leg over - 6 L/R
knee hug - 6 L/R
forward lunge + twist - 3 L/R
knee hug lunge elbow to instep - 3 L/R
drop lunge - 6 L/R
lateral squat - 6 L/R
inverted hamstring forward - 6 L/R

Power snatch + OHS - 45 x 5, 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 130 x 3, 130 x 3, 130 x 3

Metcon EDT style - 5 rounds - 45 seconds rest after each round
snatch grip deadlift - 95 x 6
chin up - 6
single leg squat to bench - L/R - 6
1-arm standing db overhead press - 40 x 6
Total time: 14:26

external db rotation - 15 x 12, 15 x 12, 15 x 12
Half Kneeling Chops - 30 x 12, 30 x 12, 30 x 12

Notes:
-PS+OHS - 130 felt a bit wobbly on power snatching it up but once I stabilized the overhead squat portion felt good.
-EDT circuit- This felt pretty good, was aiming for a total of 30 reps, and increased the reps/round by one.
-Half Kneeling Chops - Still not done correctly upon reviewing the video online, need to really get these down better.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #110
Allen Yeh

May 13, 2007
Rest - 60 minute massage - My wife was so appreciative of all the Mothers day stuff she ended up giving me a massage! It pays to bust your hump around the house I guess!

May 12, 2007
Rest - Supposed to go running with one of my team members but my allergies were kicking my butt so I took some medicine and called him to cancel.