Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #1121
Allen Yeh

January, 18, 2010

Started my new job today, pretty psyched about it. Found the Naval base gym which can be on my way to and home from work if I take a route that isn't the interstate. I swung by there today but they closed early due to the holiday. I'm planning on checking it out tomorrow to see what they have availible and then I'll plan my workout from here on out accordingly. The optimal plan would be 5/3/1 and I'm planning on doing military press tomorrow. I need to make sure I get the weights I want to do written down though.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #1122
Derek Simonds

Awesome and I saw a post yesterday that your first day went well. I am glad that the move is working out.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #1123
Allen Yeh

January 20, 2010
IF = 15 hours
BW = 193

1. Warmup
Defranco simple six

2. Strength
military press - 45 x 10, 65 x 5, 90 x 3, 90 x 5, 100 x 5, 115 x 9, 75 x 10, 75 x 4(right shoulder pain)

2H KB swing - 88# - 15

Notes:
-Super quick session in and out in less than 40 minutes, the KB swings were just messing around as that is the heaviest I've seen. Pretty easy, thought about trying to snatch it but remembered I stopped pressing due to some shoulder pain so I thought better of it.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #1124
Allen Yeh

January 21, 2010

joint mobility upon waking up only 5 "reps" per bodypart

foam rolling during the NBC lineup of comedy! mostly thoracic, lats and it bands
Old 01-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #1125
Allen Yeh

The plan for now:

While it seems like training ADD it's not! I promise! Heh, in all seriousness this last week I didn't worry too much about training just focused on my new job and if I trained I trained. I've been flip flopping on whether I was going to stick with 5/3/1 for now or going to do a more intense weight losing cycle first. It looks like the holidays just took a bit to catch up with me but now, ugh I'm probably at 15%+ BF, I'd swear like 3 weeks ago I was sitting below 15%. This week my diet has been pretty dialed in and I'm going to start tracking my IF schedule again as well this week I've been doing pretty well with 14-16 hour fasts.

I'm going to give this 6 week Sprinting for fat loss program a go it wsa a new article from T-nation this week and I think it fits my schedule pretty well right now.

After this 6 weeks then I'll head back to 5/3/1 to get my numbers from horrible to average! Heh.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #1126
Derek Simonds

I liked that plan a lot. Probably a good fit for the next 6 weeks.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #1127
Allen Yeh

This is the article I was talking about in my previous post

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...digit_body_fat

Anyone know what the contrast method for benching is? I meant to look it up this weekend but forgot all about it.

Edit*

I found something that sounds like what the author is talking about. other seraches led me to things like chains...etc:
Quote:
Wave Loading (or the Contrast Method)

You usually see wave loading in the form of the 6/1/6/1 protocol, but you can also use others like 5/1/5/1 or 4/1/4/1. This means you’ll do six reps of an exercise, rest, then do a single heavy rep and then repeat.

Ian has written, "The aim of the first set of six is to enhance the loading potential of the first single rep and second set of six. The second set of six and second single are aimed at exploiting the neural dis-inhibition created by the first. If you don’t respect this — if you go too heavy in the first set of six or first single — you won’t experience this neural dis-inhibition, as it’ll be clouded by fatigue." In a nutshell, that means you can trick your nervous system and be able to lift more weight for a set of six than if you hadn’t done the near-maximal single.

Here’s an example of wave loading using 6/1/6/1:

1 x 6 at 220 pounds (about 100 kg)
1 x 1 at 275 pounds (about 125 kg)
1 x 6 at 230 pounds (about 105 kg)
1 x 1 at 285 pounds (about 130 kg)

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 01-25-2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Added contrast method info
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #1128
Allen Yeh

January 25, 2010
BW = 192
*IF 16 hours*

1. Warmup
KB swings - 55# - 2H x 10, 1H x 10L/R, H2H x 10
Defranco Simple 6
scap pushups - 10
neutral grip pullups - slow - 3
KB snatch + windmill - 35# - 3L/R

2. Strength
Bench press - Contrast Method - 45 x 8, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 175 x 5, 205 x 1, 185 x 4, 215 x 1, 195 x 3, 225 x 1
1-arm DB row - 30 x 8L/R, 45 x 5L/R, 60 x 3L/R, 90 x 1L/R, 90 x 6L/R, 100 x 6L/R, 110 x 6L/R, 115 x 5L/R, 115 x 6L/R, 115 x 6L/R
(superset with full rest - 2 minutes)

decline DB press - 3101 tempo - 50 x 8, 50 x 8, 50 x 10
inverted row - 5, 6, 6
(superset with full rest - 0:45)

DB farmers walk - 120 x 60 feet, 120 x 40 feet, 95 x 40 feet
(full rest - 2 minutes)

Notes:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...digit_body_fat
-Week 1, day 1 of the above program
-Bench - took this conservatively as I wasn't sure how I'd do, the 1's felt pretty easy, so next week I'll up it by 5#'s
-1-arm row - I knew I should have started higher, I usually do Kroc Rows with 80 for 20+ reps
-decline DB - Neh the decline they have here was really odd, very hard to get the weights up and feet in, 50 was the most I was willing to go, I guess I could have gotten someone to hand be the DB's
-Farmers walk - Supposed to be 4 sets but the 3rd set was somewhat of a maze to get around people in the way, I just left in frustration by the time it was time for my 4th set.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #1129
Derek Simonds

Maybe we could start a new fitness craze / personality building program that is based on farmers walks through a crowded gym. You would definitely need waivers to ward off law suits on broken toes.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #1130
Allen Yeh

I should have just asked if I could go out to the sidewalk and left my ID or credit card as collatoral. Maybe next monday.