Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #1341
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I keep telling myself that I need to work my neck but it is just like abz, I find that I will do it for a little while then stop. Are you doing in neck bridges (front side reverse)? That always helps me when my neck gets too stiff.
Hey at least you are doing ABZ! I find myself with the same problem....with ABZ, so now I'm making myself a deal, even if I do light work....better than no work! If I'm in the gym I'm doing at minimum those 4 things....warmup, main lift, neck and ABZ no question. Accessories as time permits.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #1342
Allen Yeh

July 15, 2010

Scheduled off day

AM - 35 minute walk

July 16, 2010

Scheduled off day

Connor is 5 today! Making cake and preparing for party for time!

July 17, 2010
IF = 16 hours

Connor had his party today and it seemed to last all day long well after we got home. Really bad eating day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connor5.jpg (90.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #1343
Derek Simonds

That is one awesome pirate cake. Tell Connor I said Happy Birthday AAARGHHHH!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #1344
Allen Yeh

July 18, 2010

I was all ready to lift at the Y and hit up bench...and after we got there they told us the child watch was already closed! Connor and I played some ping pong and headed home for the pool.

tempo pushup - 2 seconds - 10, 9, 9, 8 - 0:40 rest
2H swings - 24kg - 25, 25
1H - 10L/R, 10L/R, 10L/R, 10L/R
Around the World - 25L/R
Tight Core Rotations - 0:08, 0:08

35 minute walk

Notes:
-Tempo pushups - from http://http://www.8weeksout.com/arti...ular-endurance
-Tight Core rotations from this article http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ssue/issue_631 much harder than it looked
Old 07-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #1345
Allen Yeh

July 19, 2010
bw = 188
IF = 18 hours

1. Warmup
Defranco Simple 6
Ido Scap WU

2. Strength
chinups - max in 3 minutes - 30 - 13,3,3,3,3,2,2,1

Bench press - 45 x 8, 65 x 5, 95 x 3, 145 x 1, 145 x 5, 165 x 3, 185 x 11
inverted row - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
(supserset with full rest - 1:00)

lying neck plate extension/flexion - 10# x 25 flexion/extension, 10# x 20L/R lateral flexion

medicine ball rollout - 6, 6, 6

lying DB extension - 20 x 10, 25 x 10
hammer curl - 20 x 10, 25 x 10
DB OH press - 20 x 10, 25 x 10
(superset with no rest)

1 round:
10 pushups
10 ankle grab situps
0:31

Notes:
-5/3/1 Week 3 bench day - Another short workout, hit 4 things, Bench, chins, neck, Abz and done, had ~40 minutes
-Bench - 185 x 11, I'll take it!
-chinups - I think Bench day will be my 3 minute of max chins - saw this in the newest Men's Health where Martin Rooney gave some rep ranges, I (barely) fell into the Good category. I'd like to get my chins to a point where I can do 20 in one set again...but that was...years ago at this point and minus 2 elbow area injuries So bench day is 3 minute max day and press day is volume day, lots of sets over the session.
-Neck - Check
-MB rollout - Abs - Check! Didn't really like this variation on the rollout, also from the unconventional ab workouts article. I felt like this was way more a lat stretch than ABZ.
-Arms/shoulders - Had a little bit of time and threw that quick circuit in there
-http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...in-100-seconds I only did 1 round of Challenge 5 where you are supposed to do 5 rounds, I felt like a total spaz doing the ankle grab situps, it also turns out I was doing them wrong! Have to extend the legs when the arms are extended. I'll try this again later.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #1346
Derek Weaver

Martin Rooney has got some crazy stuff. He's also got some really fun looking challenges though.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:27 AM   #1347
Allen Yeh

Derek S.
Didn't see your birthday wishes until just now. I'll try to do the ARGH!!! noise but I probably won't do it justice. that cake was a much huger pain than it looked like in the instructions.

Derek W.
Martin Rooney seems to be all over the place lately in the last few months I guess as partially to promote that new book. Can't seem to decide about him yet.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 AM   #1348
Allen Yeh

July 21, 2010
if = 14
bw = 187

1. Warmups
ECWU # 1
neck bridge - 15 F/B

2. Strength
Burgener WU - 45 x 5
power snatch - 45 x 5, 95 x 3, 95 x 1, 135 x 1

BS - 135 x 5, 155 x 3, 265 x 1, 175 x 1, 180 x 1, 180 x 5, 205 x 3, 230 x 12, 255 x 1, 280 x 1, 305 x 0

db rdl - 40 x 12, 55 x 12, 65 x 12
sorinex landmine - 25 x 6L/R, 6L/R, 6L/R
(superset - full rest - 0:30)

3. Energy
Rooney Challenge # 3 -
25 squats
26 lateral lunges
24 front lunges
Total time 115 seconds

Notes:
-5/3/1 - Week 3 squat day
-BS - Pleased with 230 x 12! Did a few singles at the end, 280 felt pretty easy, 305 was just slow, probably could have gutted it out.
-neck - check!
-ABZ - check!
-challenge #4 - What really slowed me down were the lateral squats I just felt like it was taking a while to do 13 per side, Going to shoot for 100 seconds next time.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #1349
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Derek S.
Didn't see your birthday wishes until just now. I'll try to do the ARGH!!! noise but I probably won't do it justice. that cake was a much huger pain than it looked like in the instructions.

Derek W.
Martin Rooney seems to be all over the place lately in the last few months I guess as partially to promote that new book. Can't seem to decide about him yet.
Did you watch the series of interviews with Smitty? I think that they are on both the Diesel site and EFS. I haven't watched them yet but I agree he is everywhere right now.

AAARGH....

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #1350
Allen Yeh

July 21, 2010
BW = 188

1. Strength
press - 55 x 5, 65 x 5, 80 x 5

tempo pushup - 2 second up/down - 12, 12, 8, 5
pullups - 5, 5, 4, 2
(superset with no rest - 0:40)

After run:
tempo pushup - 2 second up/down - 12, 9
pullups - 4, 3
(superset with no rest - 0:40)

2. Energy
warmup Run @ 1.5 incline - 3:30 @ 8:00/mile pace
Sprints@15 incline - 0:10 sprint and slow treadmill down to 20:00/mile pace until HR dropped down below 130 - 11 intervals total
cooldown @15 incline - 8:00 @ 20:00/mile pace

Total distance over 30 minutes =2.3 miles

Notes:
-5/3/1 deload OH press
-Short session today
-tempo pushups - harder than it seems
-pullups - low intensity, lot of sets
-No NECK/ABZ intentionally, didn't want to cut intervals short
-HRI Intervals - method taken from http://www.8weeksout.com/articles/31-sac/65-intervals-
Quote:
you can simply set a high incline (15% grade) and sprint for 10-12 seconds, let your heart rate come down to 130-140 and then sprint again
-I need to but a HR rate monitor, trying to use the treadmill monitor was irritating nad probably wrong, I also wasn't sure if I was supposed to wait until my HR dropped between 120-130 or 130-140, I chose the former when it was supposed to be the latter. I also didn't do enough intervals, I only did a total of 11, when you are supposed to do 15-20 per session.

Guidelines for myself on HRI:
1. Warmup
2. Set incline to 15
3. Increase speed and sprint for 10-12 seconds
4. Decrease speed and walk @ 15 incline untl HR drops down to 130-140
5. Lather, rinse and repeat 14-19 times
6. 2-3 weeks on/1 week off 2-3x per week

It's like hill sprints just regulating the rest period via HR instead of a time period. Overall I felt pretty good after it. I need an decent HR monitor though to really get accuracy but I don't have the $$ to drop on one at the moment.