Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #131
Allen Yeh

May 29, 2007
CPMP - 1 set of 4 reps - 2:30/7 min
Quadruped Posterior Rocking
Inverted Hamstring (backward)
Forward Lunge elbow to instep (walking)
Knee hug (walking)
Pillar March (in place)

Burgener WU- 45 x 1

PS + OHS - 45 x 5, 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 150 x 3 (Another PR!!), 150 x 3(bad release, shin = hurt), 150 x 3

Rings Dips - bw x 3, bw+30# vest x 3, 3, 2, 3, 3
(Superset with full rest - 60 seconds)
Pullups - bw x 3, bw+30# vest x 3, 3, 2, 3, 3

Run #2 revisited - 1:00 on/1:00 off -
Total distance - 3.02 miles??
Total running distance - 2.27 miles??
Total walking distance - 0.75 miles??

Stretching - Comprehensive lower body stretching - 15 minutes

Notes:
-This was supposed to be a Power day but the b-ball court was off limits so I switched it.
-Power Snatch - Another PR! 3 PR's in less than 2 weeks, talk about improvements due to refining technique.
-OHS- Felt great, no problems other than a bad release on the 2nd heavy set and my shin wasn't very happy with me after that
-PU's/Dips - Felt great, not too taxing but not a breeze either.
-Run #2 revisited - So 2 weeks later I end up with the exact same time, BUT I really think I need to recalibrate the Nike+ sensor, at what I am almost positive is a 0.75 mile mark, the sensor told me it was at 0.62 miles. However this isn't a bad thing since I'm actually running more than what the thing is measuring.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #132
Allen Yeh

May 31, 2007
CPMP - 10 reps in 5:08
Backward lunge w/ lateral flexion
leg cradle (in place)
inverted hamstring (in place)
foward lunge elbow to instep (crawling)
knee hug (in place)
pillar march (moving)

hand walk x 5
Behind the neck band pull-aparts x 12
Scap Pushups x 15

PS+OHS - 45 x 5, 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 155 x 0, 155 x 0

Ring Dips - BW x 3, BW+50# vest x 2, 3, 2, 2, 3
(Superset with full rest - 60 seconds)
pullups - BW x 3, BW+50#vest x 3, 3, 2, 2, 3

Neutral Grip Incline DB Bench Press - 80 x 8, 80 x 8, 80 x 6
(superset with full rest - 60 seconds)
Seated Cable Row - 170 x 8, 170 x 8, 170 x 6

Foot mobility drills ~25m
100m strides x 6 - accidentally erased the times out of my watch

nike+ calibration:
400m walk
400m run
400m walk

Notes:
PS - 155 just wasn't in me today so I just stopped after 2 attempts.
Dips - 50# didn't actually feel that much heavier than the 30# vest, once I can do 5 sets of 3 I'll either add reps or sets?
Pullups - Felt great
Strides - Did the 1st stride barefoot, then the other 5 with shoes.
Nike+ calibration - I used the track to recalibrate the nike+ thing and apparently I was off by 40m's per 400m's, meaning it would say I had run 360m when I actually had run 400m, that adds up to a lot after a mile or 2, so if it tells me I ran 3 miles, in reality I ran closer to 3.3 miles?
-Knee pain- After I finished all that above stuff my right knee feels a bit puffy, I had no problems during all that stuff, so I plan on icing it as much as possible tonight and hope it's 100% by Saturday morning (2 mile test).
Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 AM   #133
Rick Deckart
Banned

Maybe you should spread the warmup sets during the OHS, a la Starting strength for example for a 70kg top set it would look like:

20,0kg x 5 reps x 2 sets
32.5kg x 5 reps
45.0kg x 3 reps
57.5kg x 2 reps
70.0kg x 5 reps x 3 sets

20.0kg increases are a bit high if you are near you current max. If 70.0 is too much I would either snatch something you can snatch, place the barbell into the rack, weight a while and pushpress OHS it, or use a clean to get in into the rack. If you want some extra work you could also clean the weight, push press it, lower behind the neck, regrip and snatch grip pushpress it plus the OHS.
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 AM   #134
Allen Yeh

June 3, 2007
-Sleep!

June 2, 2007
Drill Weekend
-APFT:
62 pushups
65 situps
15:56 2 mile run (Not the best pace BUT after 2 miles I felt like I could keep on going! The only 2 1/4 mile paces that I liked were there first 400m's and the last 400m's of 1:45 and 1:47 the other 400m's were all ~2:00). Thanks to James!
-Definitely got a bit dehydrated out at the M16 despite my best efforts to stay balanced.

June 1, 2007
Drill Weekend
-M9 Range shot a 34/40, not bad.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #135
Allen Yeh

June 4, 2007
CPMP - 6 reps in 3:29
Backward lunge w/ lateral flexion (moving)
Drop lunge
inverted hamstring (backward)
foward lunge elbow to instep (moving)
knee hug (moving)
pillar march (moving)

scap Pushups x 15
scap dips x 15
hanging scap retractions x 10

PS+OHS - 45 x 5, 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 135 x 3, 155 x 3(press out), 155 x 3(no PS, push pressed up), 155 x 2 (same as previous set)

Deadlift - 135 x 3, 185 x 2, 225 x 1, 275 x 1, 275 x 2, 275 x 3, 275 x 1, 275 x 2, 275 x 3

Ring Dips - BW x 4, BW+30# vest x 4, 6, 6, 4
Chin-ups - BW x 4, BW+30#vest x 6, 5, 4, 4

1-arm overhead DB press - 45 x 10, 55 x 8, 55 x 8
1-leg squat to bench - 10 x 10, 10 x 10, 10 x 8

Cable reverse grip pressdown - 100 x 12, 100 x 12
Cable curl - 90 x 12, 100 x 12

Foot mobility drills ~25m

Notes:
-CPMP-CP Strength level 2 phase A - will move up to 8 reps next time
-Power Snatch - Took Peter's suggestion and added an intermediate set, manage to PS the 155 with a press out, I know if I really really took the time to hit my snatch form I could get 155. My biggest struggle is my lack of dropping in the hole, I'll be doing some research and perhaps in a month or 2 (after wife recovers some from surgery) I'll start having a more of a Olympic lifting focus.
-OHS - Felt easy but the last rep of the last set I dropped in when I was down in the hole after a slight forward lean.
-Deadlift - After reading a bunch the last few months I realized I wasn't deadlifting right and that's why it felt like my lower back was hit with a bat everytime I approached 400#'s. Really really focused on firing my glutes at the top and NOT hyperextending my back. We'll see in the next few days how successful I was though I felt like I was doing it better than I have in the past.
-1-leg squat- Biggest issue I have with this movement is BALANCE!!!! I would love to be able to do a complete set without touching my other foot to the ground in between some reps. I know I just started these and I'm being greedy but balance has not ever come easy to me and I'm really trying to spend more time on one foot throughout my day, kind of GTG with balancing.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 AM   #136
Allen Yeh

June 5, 2007
Long DAY at the Dr.'s for my wife then watched the baby during her 2nd appointment of the day. Then the 8 year olds flag football practice. Did 30 minutes of foam rolling at night after the kids were all in bed.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:55 AM   #137
Allen Yeh

I need to get back on the boat this week for a little bit before heading off to NY for Lauries surgery. Working out is part stress relief for me and last week by weeks end I was seriously on edge after missing all sessions other than the 6/4.

If you would like to read more about my wife's surgery/conditon please take a read at http://laurieyeh.blogspot.com
I know I haven't really mentioned it except in passing comments here and there but...well there it is.

I've been toying with the idea of bringing at the very least my foam roller and kb with me in the event I have time to get a workout in at my parents house as I will be watching all 3 kids for the week and visiting my wife as much as I can while still allowing her to rest/recuperate in the hospital. We shall see.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #138
Allen Yeh

June 11, 2007
CPMP - 6 reps
Backward lunge w/ lateral flexion (moving)
Drop lunge
inverted hamstring (backward)
foward lunge elbow to instep (moving)
knee hug (moving)

hand walk x 6

1. Romanian Deadlift + Hang Power Snatch + Overhead Squat - 45 x 3, 95 x 5, 95 x 4, 75 x 5, 75 x 5, 75 x 5
(Rest 60 seconds)

2a. Push-up feet on swiss ball with prone jackknife combo - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
(rest 30 seconds before moving on to 2b)
2b. Bent over row- back extension hybrid - 95 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
(rest 30 seconds before moving on to 2c)
2c. Dynamic Lunge plus shoulder press - 25 x 5L/R, 20 x 5L/R, 5L/R, 5L/R, 5L/R
(rest 30 seconds before repeating 2a-2c)

3. 2 x 20 seconds squat jumps; 20 seconds squats; 20 seconds bottom squat position hold
(rest 45s between sets)

Tabata row + 5 minutes slow rowing + Tabata rows - w/ damper at 5 total distance - 2416m

Foot mobility drills 6 x ~25m
stretching - general all body ~10 minutes

Notes:
-Real Fast Fat Loss - Modified Workout A - 5 x 5 - I should have freaking known better after doing AC's New Rules of Lifting Fat loss workouts but this workout sucked!!! I thought 5 x 5 would be pretty easy and I could use a bit more weight, yeah ok I quickly snapped back to reality on that one! 3 x 15 is going to be HORRIBLE.
-RDL+HPS+OHS - This sucked, the 95 started slipping out of my grip the 2nd set so I had to reduce it to be able to keep the movement flowing. All hang power snatches done from above the knee.
-2a. Push-up feet on swiss ball with prone jackknife combo- So glad I opted not to use a weighted vest for this.
-2b. Bent over row- back extension hybrid - Not all that difficult, could stand to move up a little
-2c. Dynamic Lunge plus shoulder press - 25 was doable, for one set, had to move down in order to keep the weight moving.
-3. Squats - Harder than it looked on paper!
-Tabata Row - Not too bad but my glutes were screaming by the end.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #139
Rick Deckart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I need to get back on the boat this week for a little bit before heading off to NY for Lauries surgery. Working out is part stress relief for me and last week by weeks end I was seriously on edge after missing all sessions other than the 6/4.

If you would like to read more about my wife's surgery/conditon please take a read at http://laurieyeh.blogspot.com
I know I haven't really mentioned it except in passing comments here and there but...well there it is.

I've been toying with the idea of bringing at the very least my foam roller and kb with me in the event I have time to get a workout in at my parents house as I will be watching all 3 kids for the week and visiting my wife as much as I can while still allowing her to rest/recuperate in the hospital. We shall see.
Allen,

all the best to your wife and your family. Do yourself a favour and don't take anything for a workout with you. Don't worry, you didn't start training last week, so you won't loose any fitness during that week...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #140
Yuen Sohn

Allen,
My thoughts will be with you, Laurie and the rest of the family.

If you find yourself needing a place to blow off some steam, you are more than welcome to stop by Lost Battalion Hall in Rego Park, Queens (Mondays and Wednesdays are the days my team practices). I know your hands will probably be more than full, but thought I'd extend the offer, just in case.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote