Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #381
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post
Hi Allen,

if you are around three repetitions you could do that in 5 to 8 weeks if you were willing to compromise your other goals. You certainly have what it takes...
Thanks Peter. With my arm the way it is I can barely do a OHS with a bar. My left forearm/elbow is just unable to support much weight overhead right now.

I know injuries are just a part of this whole thing but it's been over a month and it's starting to be a drag.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #382
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Stress is the ultimate goal killer.

Is there an in between level on the BF% that you could set as a definite instead of an "I would like to". Sometimes I reevaluate and change my goals so that I can hit them and get a victory instead of working towards and not making them. I also change my internal language and it all becomes I will do X, I am at X, I can lift X instead of the more vague I will try.

I have two things I am struggling with right now. I have a triathlon at the end of June and I am not training at all, and I have a BJJ tournament that I want to enter in July. Both of these would require a fundamental shift in my training and I have to make that decision by the end of this week. With the triathlon I could easily complete it now, but completing it and being competitive are two totally different things mentally. The BJJ tourney is a different deal as I am there strength wise but need to make sure that I am ready cardio/gas and technique wise. With the tourney I want to do more than just show up. I want to be competitive.

So long story short I need to totally redo my goals for June and July. If you need to bounce anything around call me anytime.
Thanks, this time around in no small part to your log and stuff I've really been trying to keep it more positive and not get all down on myself for not making the goals. Like I would have in the past. I just think to myself well look at Derek, he had freaking MRSA in his knee and he trained and is still training. So I'm definitely trying to keep the failure and the injury in perspective.

I know the specific reasons why I failed. I hope but can't guarantee that these reasons won't continue getting in the way. The best I can do is work around it.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #383
Derek Simonds

I am with you on that. It's funny but if I can make the time to train that is the single best way for me to deal with stress.

Don't ever get down on yourself! You are doing so much with all the things being thrown at you and your family. Just pick one thing and go crush it. Maybe now you might need to primarily focus on some workout goal that you can do at home with equipment you have. Maybe something easy and simple like 30 M/U's for time. I know you got the equipment for that.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #384
Allen Yeh

May 31, 2008
Morning workout:
jump rope - 1min on/30 sec off x 3
leg swings - 10 F/B, 10 S/S
arm circles - 10F/B
arm clap - 10
lunge w/ lateral flexion - 6L/R
scap pushup - 15,15
inverted hamstring - backward - 10L/R
lateral lunge - 7L/R
Hand walk - 6
knee hug - 6L/R
Egpytian - 6L/R

front squat w/ plate held out in front - 5kg x 10, 10kg x 10, 15kg x 10
1 leg romanian deadlift - 2x7.5kg x 10, 2x7.5kg x 10
(superset with full rest - 30 seconds)

db row - 17.5kg x 10, 20kg x 10
db bench press - 17.5kg x 10, 20kg x 10
(superset with no rest - 30 seconds)

Y - 2.5 kg x 10
db retraction - 5kg x 10L/R
plate halo - 5kgx10 clockwise/counterclockwise

double unders - 1minute on/30 seconds off x 3 - 38, 22, 31

PM:
5 miles of walking
acupressure massage - OUCH

Notes:
-Woke up after only a few hours of sleep and went to the gym to get moving, I feel so stiff from that flight, the hotel gym has a few DB's and some other stuff. I'm glad I brought my jump rope with me. Lots of mobility stuff and dynamic warmup stuff, should have stretched after but I forgot all about it.
-Lots of walking
-Massage - I feel like I got my ass kicked. That masseuse asked me if I wanted hard or soft pressure I figured harder is better right? Yeah ok. My traps are sore as heck, she kept saying how tight my shoulders were, I wanted to say "I know I can feel you digging around!" The bright side is my slight cold is completely gone now. woohoo!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #385
Derek Simonds

Massage rocks! Tracy takes her boards on June 5th and then she is good to go on her practice. We are all stoked. She is studying pretty much non stop the next couple of days to review.

I keep hoping that she won't tire of giving me massages.

I am heading to the airport right now. Got a nice middle seat confirmed way back in the back. Yeah! Man they love us business travelers who book last minute.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #386
Allen Yeh

June 1, 2008
*no fast*
~3 mile walk

June 2, 2008
*15 hour fast*
I felt fine yesterday but today I think the time zone change has really hit hard, it's been a struggle to stay awake all day long. My right knee has also been bothering me some since the plane ride but I felt it a lot more today than the last few days.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #387
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Massage rocks! Tracy takes her boards on June 5th and then she is good to go on her practice. We are all stoked. She is studying pretty much non stop the next couple of days to review.

I keep hoping that she won't tire of giving me massages.

I am heading to the airport right now. Got a nice middle seat confirmed way back in the back. Yeah! Man they love us business travelers who book last minute.
My coworker donated me a system wide upgrade to business class for the trip over. Wow those are really nice seats and it's a huge difference than economy. I definitely owe him a dinner or 2!

I'm thinking about going for another massage since they are pretty cheap compared to the states.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #388
Derek Simonds

After last nights travel all I can think is make it till Thursday to get a massage.

Enjoy the trip.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #389
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Enjoy the trip.
Definitely, I felt ok the day before but yesterday the time change was dragging me all day. Basically Day is night, completely.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #390
Derek Simonds

If day is night are you in the far east? or are you back in Italy? I am sitting in the 5th airport in 3 days heading to Scranton PA. All the planes I have been on have been the CRJ 100's and 200's. Man they are tight fits for me. If it was full size jet service I at least have the possibility to make an upgrade.