Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #31
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Royce View Post
well, the snail is impressed by the turtle, I guess. Rippetoe's Programming book has the benchmarks in the back. I think at that body weight the level for a novice lifter (he means someone with less than 2-3 years of pretty dedicated lifting) was around 300lbs for deadlift (I may be wrong). I meant more the overall amount you're doing plus the push presses where I have only worked my way up to 130lbs.

Are you doing RDLs to help get your back in shape?

Yes, I was in the Reserves for 13 years or so. Having to pass the PT test was always a good motivator for running, but I would imagine you could easily pass -- you're just trying to max it out.
Thanks again. I like the exercise and rep selection in the book. I can only assume Alwyn Cosgrove chose the RDL's for hamstrings because that is the muscle that is typically quivering after I'm doing with all those sets! haha

Officer? Enlisted? MOS? I'm currently in the direct commisioning process as an MP, though I have considered reclassing to possibly Signal which is more inline with what my education and regular job are in. Passing isn't a problem for my age group I think it's something crazy like 17:34 to pass, I would love to be able to max it out but I think a 13:00 2 mile is out of reach, unless I'd be willing to just train for that which I'm not willing to do.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #32
Andy Deas

Allen,

I noticed you spend a bunch of time with your foam roller on some of your off-days. I am also a huge fan of the foam rolling. At the suggestion of Cressey/Robertson etc. I started doing a quick session of rolling at the beginning of my workout - right before I do my active warm-up/mobility stuff. This is counter to what I have heard previously, but so far I must say that it really seems to help "loosen" me up for my mobility drills.

Just some food for thought.
Andy Deas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #33
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Deas View Post
Allen,

I noticed you spend a bunch of time with your foam roller on some of your off-days. I am also a huge fan of the foam rolling. At the suggestion of Cressey/Robertson etc. I started doing a quick session of rolling at the beginning of my workout - right before I do my active warm-up/mobility stuff. This is counter to what I have heard previously, but so far I must say that it really seems to help "loosen" me up for my mobility drills.

Just some food for thought.
Thanks Andy, I have thought about it but the majority of my workouts are at the gym and they have no foam rollers to speak of, and the few times I have worked out at home I just didn't think about it. Next time I work out at home I'll give it a try, I think "quick/light" might be the key here, after reading about Ronnie A's experience doing deep tissue foam rolling before a workout was eye-opening.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #34
Elliot Royce

I was an officer in the Signal Corps. Was gungho out of college and signed up for Armor, then got bounced out by all the West Point pukes who wanted the glory. I can't remember a single thing I learned in the Signal Corp except don't stand anywhere near your antennae. If lightning doesn't get you, a cruise missile will. Funniest thing was last assignment, when I was really inactive, was at the National Command Center with a top secret clearance doing negotiations with ATT. Never actually did the assignment but the Army finally figured out what I'd be best at at that point. And if you like golf, Fort Gordon is right next to Augusta National.

Make sure you go to Airborne school -- still one of the best experiences of my life -- and, if you have the balls, Ranger School. I didn't go and I don't know whether I would have survived but if you do, you'll never forget it.

My brother was an enlisted MP in the reserves. Don't think he really liked it that much. But you probably will never get a traffic ticket so that's something to think about.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:12 AM   #35
Allen Yeh

Elliot,

I officially had an ADUH! moment. When you mentioned am I doing RDL's for my back I thought you were talking about Romanian Deadlifts, I only just realized that possibly meant Rack Deadlifts.

The reason the rack deadlifts are in there is to work the deadlift throughout a shorter range of motion with the goal of doing the heavier weights at full range by the end of phase II.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #36
Allen Yeh

February 9, 2007
Rest- Supposed to be heavy squat day but had to go home early to watch the baby. Sometimes I get annoyed when I miss workouts and I tried to take it in stride and remind myself about AC's quote:

"Your body can't differentiate between stressors. Stress is like water from hundreds of taps flowing into a bathtub. Financial stress, relationships, health, and training stress are all different taps. When all the other taps are flowing full blast, turn down the training tap a little bit so your tub doesn't overflow."

February 10, 2007
Rest - Watched the kids all day, by the end of the day all I wanted to do was be in a dark and quiet room with no crying/fighting or whining.

February 11, 2007
Foam Roller - Total body 30 minutes - Lats are still really sore but foam rolling them is mind numbingly painful must do more lat rolling along with calf rolling. Tried to take it easy on my legs since I knew I was doing heavy squatting on Monday.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #37
Allen Yeh

February 12, 2007

Core Performance Movement Prep
neutral grip face pull - 30 x15, 40 x 15, 40 x 15
band pushup - 10, 10, 10

ball crunch - 25 x 6, 35 x 6

OHS - 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 135 x 3
Squat - (201 tempo) - 185 x 2, 225 x 1, 275 x 1, 290 x 4, 290 x 4, 290 x 2/2, 195 x 16

1/4 squat - (201 tempo) - 375 x 3, 385 x 3, 405 x 3

good morning - (201 tempo) - 105 x 10, 115 x 10,
(superset with full rest - 90 seconds)
hammer lunge - overhead - 10 x L/20, 10 x R/20

Row @ 5 - 2K - 7:29.5!!!!! PR by 15 seconds!!!@#!@#!@!!! My first 2K was 7:48 and my best 2K is 7:44

Rest 3:00

5 minutes of burpees
40 reps total - I was still gasping for breath from the row when I started these.

Notes:
-New Rules of Lifting Strength II workout A
-Squats - low bar squats - I can definitely go up to at least 3001
-1/4 squats - 405 wasn't even that bad I could have probably made 405+ easily
-Good mornings - 115 was heavy for 10 but doable
-Hammer lunge - 10#'s was good, need to work on lunging backwards
-2K Row -I CRUSHED my old 2K time today, I was iffy on even doing this today after my heavy leg day and decided I needed to stop being such a baby and just do it. I was wasted after this effort though.
-Burpees- I was supposed to only rest 2 minutes after the row and then do the burpees but I took an extra minute and the burpees still wrecked me. Originally I was shooting for 10/minute but after the first minute I had to pull the pace back a little bit and managed to pull out another 30 in the remaining 4 minutes.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Allen Yeh
This message has been deleted by Allen Yeh. Reason: Adding to the end
Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #38
Allen Yeh

February 13, 2007
Rest- Federal Government closed down early

February 14, 2007
Core Performance Movement Prep - New Version
Core Performance Prehab:
Swiss ball crunches - 15#x12
pillar bridge front - narrow stance - 6L/R
Pillar Bridge side - jumping jack - 6L/R
glute bridge - knee bent - 6 L/R
mini band walk - 6L/R
Physio ball Y's and T's - 6 Y's, 6 T's

2 Rounds:
Deck KB Snatch - 24 kg x 4 per side
Alternating KB lunge - 24 kg x 4 per side
8 tuck jumps - maximizing rebound

1:11, 1:39

2 hand KB Swing - 24 KG x 100 swings in 8:01 - 20, 20, 20,20,14,6

stick dislocates - 5, 5, 5,
band dislocates - 3, 3, 4, 3, 3

TGU(OHS style) - alternating sides - 12kg x 3 L/R
windmill - 12kg x 3 L/R, 24 kg x 3 L/R, 24 kg x 3 L/R

20 minutes foam rolling - emphasized hamstrings/back
20 minutes of tennis ball rolling - lower body
20 minutes of soft tissue work - traps, middle back

Notes:
-Supposed to be Workout B but stuck at home, car is iced in the parking lot and apparently the condo association isn't planning on icing and plowing the lot????
-Snatch/Lunge/Jump - Modification from Coach Rut's WOD on 1/8/2007, Supposed to be 7 rounds but my lower back felt like it was on fire after the 2nd round so I stopped, it's days like this where I wonder if this is even remotely normal for heavy deadlifts and/or squats have this effect for days later.
-100 kb swings - Wanted to do more metcon without setting my lower back off

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 02-15-2007 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added notes
Old 02-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #39
Allen Yeh

February 15, 2007

Interval Run @ 1% Incline -
5 minutes @ 4 mph
1 minute @ 8.6 mph
2 minutes @ 7.2 mph
1 minute @ 8.6 mph
2 minutes @ 7.2 mph
1 minute @ 8.6 mph
2 minutes @ 7.2 mph
5 minutes @ 4 mph

Total distance = 1.83 miles

Messed around with the rings nothing too set in stone, tried the false grip, some dips, some l-sits, l-pullups, skin the cats.

Sauna - 5 minutes - aimed for 10 but got bored.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #40
Allen Yeh

February 16, 2007
Core Performance Movement Prep - New Version
Core Performance Prehab:
Swiss ball crunches - 15#x12
pillar bridge front - narrow stance - 6L/R
Pillar Bridge side - jumping jack - 6L/R
glute bridge - knee bent - 6 L/R
mini band walk - 6L/R
Physio ball Y's and T's - 6 Y's, 6 T's

Barbell Row - 45 x 5, 95 x 3, 135 x 1, 185 x 1, 235 x 1, 235 x 4, 235 x 4, 190 x 8, 165 x 12
(superset with full rest - 180 seconds)
Bench Press - 45 x 5, 95 x 3, 135 x 1, 185 x 1, 235 x 1, 235 x 4, 235 x 4, 190 x 8, 170 x 12

chinup - 50 x 4, 50 x 4, bw x 11
(superset with full rest - 90 seconds)
1 arm DB shoulder press - 65 x 4, 65 x 4, 40 x 12

upper body russian twist - 30 x 6L/R, 30 x 6L/R

Notes:
-The New Rules of Lifting - Strength II - Workout B
-Row - I could go up to 240 for 4, 195 for 8 and 170 for 12
-Bench Press - I could go up to 240 for 4, 195 for 8 and stayed at 170
-Chinup - 50 was heavy
-1-arm db sp- I could have gone up to 70 for 4 and 45 for 12