Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #481
Allen Yeh

August 15-17, 2008

Nothing much these days, lots of walking, did the Natural History Musuem thing with my family on Friday. Too much eating of crap due to the convenience of it. Sunday was ok but then lunch was crappy due to mall eating when out shopping for Hunters school clothes.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #482
Allen Yeh

August 18, 2009
*15 hour fast*

Instead of hitting the gym today I cut the lawn for an hour using a grass trimmer. After the first half hour I was wondering what the heck I was thinking and why I didn't buy the electric mower instead. The yard isn't even that big it just took a long ass time using a grass trimmer. I think I lost some blood too due to the mosquitos thinking it was feasting time. Bastards.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #483
Allen Yeh

August 19 2008
AM workout
BW = 191
*no fast*

1. Warmup
2H KB swing - 35# - 1 minute - 35
1H KB swing - 35# - 1 minute each hand - 30/30

2. Gymnastic Warmup
handstand hold - 0:35, 0:19 (~:010 freestanding!!!!), 0:18 (~0:10 freestanding)
NG pull-up - 6
chest-up - 7, 5
v-up - 10, 10, 10

3. Mobility/Movement Prep warmup
elbow to instep - in place - 3L/R
reverse lunge w/lateral flexion - 4L/R
lateral lunge with a drop lunge - 5L/R
inverted hamstring -backward- 8L/R

4. Prehab
x-band walk - 10L/R
adduction - sidelying - 12L/R
abduction - quadruped - 12L/R
clams - 10L/R

5. Strength
Pendlay rows - standing on rubber mat for elevation - 45 x 5, 75 x 6, 105 x 8, 125 x 5, 145 x 5, 165 x 5, 175 x 5
GHD situp - 10, 10, 11, 10
(superset with full rest between sets - 1 min)

Pallof Press isometric hold - 50 x 0:30L/R, 50 x 0:30L/R, 50 x 0:30L/R
(0:30 rest between sets)

decline DB press - 55 x 12, 70 x 6, 70 x 6
(1 min rest between sets)

6. Running
400's - 1:40, 1:44, 1:42, 1:45 (1 min rest between) - slight pain in my right knee on the turns

100m strides - 0:21, 0:22 (0:40 rest between)

Notes:
-Handstand hold - I was pretty shocked when I realized I hadn't touched the wall with my feet for more than 2 seconds!
-Pendlay row - These felt kind of strange, having to deload on every rep. I'll keep these in here for at least 5 more weeks to see where it takes me
-GHD situps - piece of cake, should have added more reps, didn't think about it until the 3rd set
-Pallof press isometric hold - tough
-Decline DB press - my chest felt a little fried after the Pallof press isometric hold, these were tough
-400's - I was shooting for a sub 1:45 and made it, so that means next time I decrease my rest another 0:15. My knee was bothering me a bit on the turns, I need to stop ignoring soft tissue work.
-100m strides - not feeling it today so I cut it short.

PM
30 minutes on the foam roller focused on my lower body.
10 minutes with the backknobber thing

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 08-20-2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: added SMR info.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #484
Allen Yeh

Default Goal Recap - August 19, 2008

Goals by end of 2008: - Arm injury is forcing me to reevaluate all my goals, goals are in most important to least.

1. Bodyfat/bodyweight reduction
Why: I know I had this in my log before but that was for aesthetic purposes, this time I'm putting it here due to being diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and I'm unwilling to be hooked into a C-pap machine in order to sleep for the rest of my life and I'm sure as HECK not going to let some doctor laser/rotorrooter out tissue from the inside of my throat. FORGET THAT.
How: Weight loss has been a focus for the last 3 weeks and it seems like things are going ok. Financial burdens are going to prevent me from doing a liquid diet during the day and solid meal at night type thing, instead I'll be going with IF and low-carb eating. No more mass gaining allowed for me. I will to focus on upping my strength without upping my weight.

2. 7:00 mile by September 2008, 35:00/5 mile by End of January 2009
Why: I recently spoke to someone who just graduated from Basic Officer Leader Course II and III in May and he told me they were running at a 7:00/mile pace all the time at 5 miles a pop. I know this goal is going to compromise all my strength goals but until I graduate that course next year running needs to be my priority.
How: I've been running pretty consistently for the past 2 months and I know the first part is almost there. I'm pretty concerned about the 2nd part though where I'll have to string together consecutive 7:00 miles. I've been running 400's and 800's and decreasing my rest times as well as longer distance runs.

3. Rehab left arm, tendonosis in left forarm/elbow area
Why: Because I find full use of my left arm pretty damn useful!
How: I've been avoiding anything exercise wise or not that hurts my arm along with a good dose of stretching and eccentric exercises targeting the area. Heat needs to be applied but I've been slacking in this aspect.

4. 300 Front squat
Why: Because I'll go crazy if all I do is running for the next 6+ months
How: Right now I'm going with a 5 x 5 and making steady progress. Once I stall for more than 2-3 weeks in a row then I'll switch up my methods, I think right now I'm sitting at ~250 for 1. If I get 300 early then I'll adjust fire and get a loftier goal. I'm just afraid to pile too much onto the plate since the running thing is a priority.

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 08-20-2008 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Details added along with some fixes
Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #485
Allen Yeh

August 20, 2008
*16 hour fast*

No workout today, I was supposed to go in and do power cleans but I was TIRED. So just went home and took care of things while my wife took a nap. Then I slept 10 hours and I'm still TIRED.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #486
Eva Claire Synkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh;37200
[B
1. Bodyfat/bodyweight reduction[/b]
Why: I know I had this in my log before but that was for aesthetic purposes, this time I'm putting it here due to being diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and I'm unwilling to be hooked into a C-pap machine in order to sleep for the rest of my life and I'm sure as HECK not going to let some doctor laser/rotorrooter out tissue from the inside of my throat. FORGET THAT.
How: Weight loss has been a focus for the last 3 weeks and it seems like things are going ok. Financial burdens are going to prevent me from doing a liquid diet during the day and solid meal at night type thing, instead I'll be going with IF and low-carb eating. No more mass gaining allowed for me. I will to focus on upping my strength without upping my weight.
do you mind me asking current ht/wt/bf% ?

on another note - thought id mention - ive gained weight (lean-mass) with low-carb / IF. recently, im keeping LC and IF, but ive dialed back the fat in hopes of losing it. i know lean mass isn't bad... but its a little too high for the metcon stuff i like.
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #487
Jacob Rowell

Good luck with those goals!

I've been a bit of a meathead lately, so I'm more biased towards seeing that 300 FS. I've gotten to 290 through a bit of ME lifting and the texas method, and I'm not a particularly strong guy. I'm sure you'll land it in no time.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #488
Frank Needham

Those are pretty lofty goals, good luck with them! Can I ask how long it typically takes you to complete one of those workouts entered in your log?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #489
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Claire Synkowski View Post
do you mind me asking current ht/wt/bf% ?

on another note - thought id mention - ive gained weight (lean-mass) with low-carb / IF. recently, im keeping LC and IF, but ive dialed back the fat in hopes of losing it. i know lean mass isn't bad... but its a little too high for the metcon stuff i like.
I'm 5'9" and the last week or so I've been weighing in at 191. Bodyfat I'm not sure I haven't had a actual bodyfat measurement in years (none that I have any trust in that is). I'm guessing just looking the mirror between 12-15%. I've been sitting around this weight for years now, although LBM has gone down and bodyfat has gone up. I was thinking if I could drop a solid 10+ pounds and adjust my body so that I sit there, hopefully it would help.

Weight loss was one of the first things I was looking at in terms of trying to help this sleep apnea thing, but someone mentioned to me it might be dietary, so I may look into that as well. The doctor practically wanted me to take one of those C-pap machines out the door with me. I know my snoring bothers Laurie, as well as she is concerned because she says it seems like I'll be gasping for breathe at times.

When I first did IF last year, I lost almost 15#'s then with my wife's surgery and recovery I gained it all back and then some. I'm trying to go back through my log and emulate what I did last year.

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 08-21-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #490
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rowell View Post
Good luck with those goals!

I've been a bit of a meathead lately, so I'm more biased towards seeing that 300 FS. I've gotten to 290 through a bit of ME lifting and the texas method, and I'm not a particularly strong guy. I'm sure you'll land it in no time.
Thanks.