Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #671
Allen Yeh

Default BOLC II and III

I have finally gotten some dates for Basic Officer Leadership course Phase II and III. I'll be leaving VA the first week of February and head to Fort Benning. After 7 weeks there I'll hopefully get to go home for a few days and then head out to Fort Leonard Wood until the middle of June.

I need to start running again, but it is freaking freezing outside! This is going to suck.

I'm going to continue following the routines in Maximum Strength until I can't anymore, I'm not sure what my training options are going to be like when I go to school so rather than stress about it I'll just take it as it comes. Since I'm bringing my car I might take a few of the more compact home gym items I have with me, like my 24kg KB. Before I leave off for school I'm going to try to save up to bring some supplements with me, namely fish oil, zma and some type of protein powder.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #672
Derek Simonds

Is that 10 seconds of rest between the 5 reps in each cluster and 2:30 of rest between the actual clusters? If so it takes like 20 - 30 minutes with the W/U sets?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #673
Derek Simonds

I just saw your second post. Man that is fantastic. Fort Benning is only 5 hours from our house. Fort deadinthewood is where Tracy did her basic. Since you are going there in April'ish it shouldn't be too cold.

I know this is something that you have worked on for a while. Congrats on getting the date set!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #674
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Is that 10 seconds of rest between the 5 reps in each cluster and 2:30 of rest between the actual clusters? If so it takes like 20 - 30 minutes with the W/U sets?
Yes, and it does take a while for just the front squats alone. With the previous phase even with the energy stuff I was hitting 1-1:10 pretty easily. Now I'm lucky if I can fit everything in under 1:15!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #675
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I just saw your second post. Man that is fantastic. Fort Benning is only 5 hours from our house. Fort deadinthewood is where Tracy did her basic. Since you are going there in April'ish it shouldn't be too cold.

I know this is something that you have worked on for a while. Congrats on getting the date set!
I'm worried about the cold right now, not a fan of the treadmill but it's been 20's-30's the last few days. I don't like running as it is, running when it's butt ass cold outside just makes it even more unappealing.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #676
Derek Simonds

I hate the cold and I hate running on a treadmill. I am not sure which one I hate more. Either way you will be fine. I know it.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #677
Matt Edwards

I'd recommend buying a pair of leggings. I got them for track and have never had cold legs since, even in 10 degree weather. And, you always have hoodies/sweaters to keep the upper body warm.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #678
Allen Yeh

December 9, 2008
*14 hour fast*
BW = 190

1. WU
Eric Cressey Warmup Option 1:
SMR using massage ball thing - thoracic extension, quads. IT bands, hip flexors, adductors and pecs
lacrosse ball - calves, glutes, infraspinatus, arch roll ~0:15-0:30
kneeling RF/TFL stretch - 0:15L/R
sleeper stretch - 0:15L/R
glute bridge - 12
reach, roll, lift - 8L/R
wall ankle mobility - 8L/R
x-band walk - 10L/R
pull-back butt kick - 5L/R
cradle walk - 5L/R
split stance broomstick pec mobilization - 8L/R
squat to stand - 8
OH lunge walk - 5L/R

2. Strength
incline bench press - 45 x 8, 95 x 5, 145 x 3, 185 x 1, 185 x(5 x 1)x 10s, 185 x(5 x 1)x 10s, 185 x(5 x 1)x 10s, 185 x(5 x 1)x 10s, 185 x(5 x 1)x 10s,
medium grip pullup - bw x 3, bw(mxed grip) x 6, +5#'s x(5 x 2)x 10s, +5#'s x(5 x 2)x 10s, +5#'s x(5 x 2)x 10s, +5#'s x(2,2,2,2,1)x 10s, +2.5#'s x(5 x 2)x 10s,
(superset with full rest - 1.5 minutes)

DB flat bench press - 55 x 6, 65 x 6, 75 x 6
head supported DB row - 55 x 6, 55 x 6, 55 x 6
(superset with full rest - 0:45)

cable backhand - 30 x 12L/R, 40 x 12L/R
Zottman curl - 25 x 10, 25 x 10
(superset with full rest - 0:30)

3. Energy

Running outside - 2 minute run, 1 minute walk, 2 minute run, 1 minute walk, 5 minute run - 1.32 miles total

Notes:
-Maximum Strength - phase 2 - upper body day 1 - week 2: medium intensity
-incline bench - 185 was just right this week, hard but not so hard I couldn't finish each cluster
-pullups - At first I thought the 5x2 clusters were a typo but reading ahead for phase 3 I realized there is no pullups in that phase so I guess this phase is a kick ass for pullups while next phase is more bench focused. 49 reps total, 39 with 5 pounds, and 10 with 2.5 pounds, pretty hard.
-flat DB press - I could definitely do more on this movement, next week I'll start at 80's I think
-Head supported DB row - with your head on the bench it really makes the movement super strict, harder than I thought it'd be
-cable backhand - still felt weird this week but not quite as bad as last week
-Run - I just went outside and ran without a plan, I thought I was going to do 2on/1off but then decided after the 2nd interval just to run straight through. Need to get a better plan put together, would like to work back to a 7:30/mile pace which is slow I know but that is pretty good for me.I think my last run was August and I was doing pretty well with the 400's and 800's. I may go back to that but finding a track not in use may be a problem since school is currently in session. Hmmm....

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 12-10-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #679
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Edwards View Post
I'd recommend buying a pair of leggings. I got them for track and have never had cold legs since, even in 10 degree weather. And, you always have hoodies/sweaters to keep the upper body warm.
Thanks, honestly I haven't even thought about leggings, I already even have a pair but I only ever use them as long johns, ADUH! Good call.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #680
Allen Yeh

December 10, 2008
*15 hour fast*

1. WU
Foam roller - 0:30 each -IT bands, Quads, hip flexors, adduçtors, lats, thoracic extension, chest
lacrosse ball - 0:30 each - calves, glutes, infraspinatus
inverted hamstring - in place - 12L/R
arm circles - 10 forward/backward
arm hugs - 20

2. Running
7:31 - 1 mile
2:00 - rest
1:49 - 1/4 mile
0:45 - rest
1:49 - 1/4 mile
4:00 - cooldown

Total - 1.90 miles

Notes:
-Worked from home today and it was surprisingly warm despite it being a little wet, so off for a run I went. Not bad, need to figure out a better system, trying to do math in my head as I ran trying to figure out distances is not going to work.