Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #691
Allen Yeh

December 17, 2008
*15 hour fast*
BW = 190

1. WU
Eric Cressey Warmup Option 2:
SMR using handheld massage ball thing - IT bands, quads, adductors, hip flexors, thoracic extension, pecs
lacrosse ball - calves, glutes, infraspinatus, arch roll ~0:10-0:20
warrior lunge kneeling stretch - 0:15L/R
hip external rotator stretch - 0:15L/R
bird dog - 8L/R
x band walk - 10L/R
rocking ankle mobility - 8L/R
scap pushup - 12
wall slide - 12
levator scapula stretch - 0:15L/R
high knee walk - 5L/R
reverse lunge w/ postolateral reach - 5L/R
walking spiderman - 5L/R

2. Strength
Burgener wu - 45 x 1
OHS + Sots press - 45 x 8+8, 95 x 5+2, 145 x 3+0
front squat - 195 x 1, 215 x(4 x 1)x 10s (EASY!), 225 x(4 x 1)x 10s, 225 x(4 x 1)x 10s, 225 x(4 x 1)x 10s, 225 x(4 x 1)x 10s(HARD, grinding), 225 x(1,1,0,0)x 10s(stuck in the hole)
(2.5 minutes rest)

DB step up - box knee height - 30 x 8L/R, 30 x 8L/R, 30 x 8L/R, 30 x 8L/R
(0:45 rest)

bar rollout - 95 x 10
glute ham raise - 8, 8, 8
single leg squat to box - knee height box - 10L/R, 10L/R
(superset with full rest - 0:30)

3. Energy
Ran out of time

Notes:
-Maximum Strength - phase 2 - lower body day 1 - week 3: very high intensity
-front squat - 6 sets of 4x1 clusters today, The first few sets I was thinking I should go even heavier but the 4th set was slightly harder and the 5th set was a GRIND, the 6th set I just got stuck in the hole on the 3rd rep and couldn't even get the weight back up to try again, declared myself finished as I was racing the clock
-db step-up - My left leg felt more fatigued doing this, I wasn't sure if It was because I was stepping up differently between the 2 legs or I was focusing more on my left leg during the front squat, I think it's because I was pushing off with my rear leg more.
-bar rollout - only did one set as I was running out of time
-single leg squat to box - better balance today that last week, right leg I'm able to not need to touch my front leg down at all, left leg not so much
-1:00 total but I had to leave the gym early and get home. A good day overall, I was happy with the front squats but would have been happier had I made the last set.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #692
Derek Simonds

Those mini sets look absolutely tough. I mean ridiculously tough. Nice job grinding out that 4th set.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #693
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Those mini sets look absolutely tough. I mean ridiculously tough. Nice job grinding out that 4th set.

Absolutely agreed on that. You couldn't have rested much in between sets? Good freakin work Allen!!!

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #694
Allen Yeh

2.5 minutes between each cluster of 4 for a total of 6 clusters. 10 seconds between each rep in the cluster, so you do a rep, rack it for 10 then do another...etc It's bad when your legs feel sore during the set. HA.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 AM   #695
Allen Yeh

Found this yesterday:

http://davedraper.com/blog/2008/12/1...oint-mobility/

Gave it a go this morning, I'd like to alternate between this routine and the Intuflow stuff every morning. I found this stuff to be a little less strange than the Intuflow stuff.

I'm going to cut it up so I know what is what:

Toes #1: Standing tall, move one foot behind, heel raised with the pads of the toes flat on the floor. Move your heel toward the floor, and back up, keeping the toes pressed into the floor.

Toes #2: Now, with the heel high, put more weight on the pad of the big toe, then move the weight outward toe by toe until the weight is more heavily on the little toe. Reverse and take the weight back to the big toe. Change feet and repeat.

Ankles #1: Still standing, most of your weight on one foot, roll the un-weighted foot to the inside and outside, paying attention to side-to-side movement in the ankle joint, repeating on both feet.

Ankles #2: Then, standing near a wall or countertop, put your weight evenly on both feet, feet flat on the floor, and bend toward the nearby surface, making sure the movement takes place in the ankles. You’ll be moving your ankles forward and back; your knees are slightly bent, holding that position (not increasing the bend), and there’s no movement in the hips. Your entire body moves forward and back, with the action taking place in the ankles.

Hips #1: Warm up the hips from a standing position, weight equally on both feet, moving forward and back in a small hip thrust, back and forth with the movement taking place almost entirely at the hips where the top of the quads attach.

Hips #2: Then, rest your weight on one foot, pull the other foot off the ground to the front, then cross over the front of the stance leg so your foot is turned, inside facing behind you. Begin to circle your foot, again with the circling taking place at the hip joint; your ankle is not circling or bending, nor is your knee. Circle five times and reverse directions for five more circles. Move your foot to the front of your body and repeat; move it to the outside to repeat in both directions; move it to the rear and circle it, again in both directions. You may feel pretty sloppy at this one at first—stick with it, it comes fast and is a real doozy for good hip mobility.

Thoracic spine #1: Still standing, weight evenly balanced, extend your arms to the front, palms down. With your hips stable and unmoving, extend and contract your arms by moving at the mid-back. Your chest will be caving in and moving out in opposition to your thoracic spine activity.

Thoracic spine #2: Now move your hands to your sides to perform a slight side bend. This isn’t the side bend you remember from gym class; instead you’ll be moving at the upper back, your lumbar spine and hips are immobile, with the only movement taking place between the neck and bottom of the rib cage above the low back.

Shoulder joints #1: Keep standing for a few more minutes while we finish this up. Skipping over the scapulae, we’re going to target the ball-and-socket part of the shoulder joint, starting with forward to overhead raises.

Shoulder joints #2: Next up, small circles beginning with the hands to the sides and low, moving forward and at shoulder height, then in an extended Y position, palms facing out. Do five circles in each position, reverse direction and repeat. Remember to picture the joint in action, and make the circles as small as necessary to keep the action smooth.

Wrists #1: As long as you’re standing there and your arms are handy, hold them outstretched at shoulder height, palms facing down. Move your fingers toward the floor, then back up toward the ceiling with the action entirely at the wrist.

Wrists #2: Then circle the hands in both directions, again with no action at the elbows or shoulders.

Neck #1: Finally, still standing, move your head back and forth with your body stable and the movement happening in the neck.

Neck #2: Circle your head from side to side (the universal “no”), with no activity from the shoulders down.

Neck #3:Now move your head up and down, as if indicating “yes.” As you practice this over a few days, the range of motion will increase and the crackling sounds will decrease as the small bits of calcium deposits are broken loose and dispersed.

Last edited by Allen Yeh; 12-21-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added more info about the routine
Old 12-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #696
Jacob Rowell

Allen,

Thanks for posting over on my log. Any suggestions on overcoming thoracic tightness? I think it could be an issue. I have a slight sway back/hunched shoulder thing going on. Nothing big, but enough to effect the overhead lifts a bit.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #697
Allen Yeh

December 18, 2008
*no fast*
BW = 192

1. WU
Eric Cressey Warmup Option 1:
SMR using massage ball thing - thoracic extension, quads. IT bands, hip flexors, adductors and pecs
lacrosse ball - calves, glutes, infraspinatus, arch roll ~0:15-0:30
kneeling RF/TFL stretch - 0:15L/R
sleeper stretch - 0:15L/R
glute bridge - 12
reach, roll, lift - 8L/R
wall ankle mobility - 8L/R
x-band walk - 10L/R
pull-back butt kick - 5L/R
cradle walk - 5L/R
split stance broomstick pec mobilization - 8L/R
squat to stand - 8
OH lunge walk - 5L/R

2. Strength
incline bench press - 45 x 8, 95 x 5, 145 x 3, 195 x(4 x 1)x 10s, 195 x(4 x 1)x 10s, 195 x(4 x 1)x 10s, 195 x(4 x 1)x 10s, 195 x(4 x 1)x 10s, 195 x(4 x 1)x 10s
medium grip pullup - chinup w/pinkies touching x 5, chinup x 3, +10#'s x(4 x 2)x 10s, +5#'s x(4 x 2)x 10s, +5#'s x(4 x 2)x 10s, +5#'s x(4 x 2)x 10s, +5#'s x(4 x 2)x 10s, +5#'s x(4 x 2)x 10s
(superset with full rest - 1.5 minutes)

DB flat bench press - 75 x 8, 75 x 8, 75 x 8
head supported DB row - 55 x 8, 55 x 8, 55 x 8
(superset with full rest - 0:45)

cable backhand - 40 x 12L/R, 30 x 12L/R, 30 x 12L/R
Zottman curl - 20 x 10, 20 x 10, 25 x 10
(superset with no rest)

3. Energy

Stationary bike @70%MHR - 10 minutes

Notes:
-Maximum Strength - phase 2 - upper body day 1 - week 3: very high intensity
-incline bench - 195 felt good, maybe could have gotten 200
-pullups - Rough
Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #698
Allen Yeh

December 19, 2008
*no fast*
BW = 190

1. WU
Eric Cressey Warmup Option 2:
warrior lunge kneeling stretch - 0:15L/R
hip external rotator stretch - 0:15L/R
bird dog - 8L/R
x band walk - omit
rocking ankle mobility - 8L/R
scap pushup - omit
wall slide - 12
levator scapula stretch - 0:15L/R
high knee walk - 5L/R
reverse lunge w/ postolateral reach - 5L/R
walking spiderman - 5L/R

2. Strength
broad jump - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
scap pushup - 15, 15, 15
(superset with no rest - 1-1.5 minutes)

low rack deadlift - 2"-4"? - 45 x 8, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 185 x 1, 225 x 1, 285 x 1, 295 x 5, 300 x 5, 300 x 5, 300 x 5, 335 x 1(hook grip)
(superset with full rest - 2.5 minutes)

speed bench press @50% - 45 x 8, 95 x 5, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3, 125 x 3
db reverse lunge - 40 x 6L/R, 45 x 6L/R, 50 x 6L/R, 50 x 6L/R
(superset with full rest - 1-1.5 minutes)

close grip bench press - 185 x 5, 185 x 5, 185 x 2
chest supported row - neutral grip - 100 x 4, 85 x 5, 85 x 5, 85 x 3
(superset with full rest - 0:45)

Pallof press - 70 x 8L/R, 70 x 8L/R, 70 x 8L/R
inverted row - wider grip chest to bar, legs straight x 10, 10, 10

3. Energy
None - felt exhausted

Notes:
-Maximum Strength - phase 2 - lower body day 2 + upper body day 2 - week 1: very high intensity
-Wow this was an ass kicker, I just felt wasted after the deadlifts and speed bench, first thing that went wrong was I left my gym bag at home, so no foam roll and lacrosse ball stuff as part of the warmup, no x-band walks either, second thing that went wrong was the XF area was being used as a staging area for tools and crap so I couldn't deadlift over there, had to make do with these crappy rack pulls, not a fan. I much prefered lifting from a elevated platform. 3rd thing was I did my broad jumps in one of the racquetball courts, which had just be re-finished, I felt somewhat nauseous in there from the fumes. They should have thrown a big fan or something to air those things out. Not safe.
-low rack pull deadlift w/slight elevation - I'm not sure how high off the ground this was? maybe 2" to 4" not a fan. Only realized a math mistake after my 4th set, I thought I was doing 310 but it turns out I was only doing 300, oh well.
-close grip bench - I just felt FINISHED on the 3rd set. only did 3 out of the 5 laid out in the program.
-NG grip chest supported row - 4 out of the prescribed 5 sets
-ASSKICKER today, I'll be paying for this tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #699
Derek Simonds

That is really and truly a ridiculous amount of work. I have been thinking that I might change up and do one heavy squat day and one heavy DL day, kind of like pavel's program posted the other day. I am just so exhausted all the time. Still making progress but I think I am paying for it.

the fellows over at Diesel Crew think I am just too skinny.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #700
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
That is really and truly a ridiculous amount of work. I have been thinking that I might change up and do one heavy squat day and one heavy DL day, kind of like pavel's program posted the other day. I am just so exhausted all the time. Still making progress but I think I am paying for it.

the fellows over at Diesel Crew think I am just too skinny.
I don't know, if you are making progress I wouldn't think about changing things just yet. I mean those numbers you have been hitting are solid. Going through today all that was going through my mind was...deload week...deload week is coming.