Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Matthieu Hertilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Beckson View Post
I totally agree with Matthew. One thing that worries me the most is how much everyone is concerned with fat loss. When we're focused on the negatives, we easily become more distressed. However, if we were to focus on how much stronger we can become, it gives us more drive to achieve our goals. Good luck with everything. And don't ever use the word fat on yourself!! I always call myself huggable
Thank you for the words of encouragement I needed that. While I wouldn't say fat necessarily, I'm not where I want to be, and I see nothing wrong some healthy determination in reaching a goal and trying to acquire as much knowledge as I can to get there.
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brody View Post
<<<<<< Pleasantly Plump
Everybody loves a fat man. -Taft
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Matthieu Hertilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
What Steven said. If you're going to take the time to post all of these threads, at least take the time to respond to the requests from the people who you're asking for help from.

We know you're into Oly & PL... and you're focused on fat loss. What does that mean exactly?

how many cals/day and what is the composition of your diet?

What does your training look like? Sleep? Any other supplementation or recovery methods at work here?
As far as diet is concerned, I'd say I get about 1600 calories a day distributed in about 2 or 3 meals a day. (i usually go by eating when I'm hungry).
-Minimal carbs (usually 1 or 2 pieces of fruit post workout)
-Good fats (coconut oil, olive oil, almonds, walnuts, fish oil, soybean oil from hummus) ~60% of my diet
- Protein (fish, lean chicken and turkey, bcaa's) ~ 35%
- And plenty of veggies
Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Garrett Smith

Keep it coming, Matthieu. We need to know the other stuff too.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

I know this tends to be a dissenting opinion, but calories count. If you go by eating when hungry, but don't have an idea on caloric intake then all the hunches are useless.

More info.... we're getting there.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
So why don't you post up what you've been eating, and what you've been doing for training (and how long as well for each) and then we'll see where you're at. Stats for height, weight, lifts too.

It would also be good to make a training log as well.
We got the bold.... kinda.... now we need the rest.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
Matthieu Hertilus

5'6", 170lbs, ~12% bf.

I've done the strength cycle for 3 weeks and I'm currently on week 4 of the Bulgrian Cycle. For the past 3 weeks I've omitted the metcon portion of the workout to keep my strength up. I work usually first thing in the morning (only time I can get it in).

-Morning: Some sort of caffeine (ex. Fast Twitch) w/ 5g o BCAAs and 2.5g creatine
-Post Workout: 5g BCAAs and 2.5g creatine (the past week I've added a bannana or two w/ it)
-Meal 1(1.5 - 2hrs later around 2pm): Veggies (raw brocoli or spinach) + 35g worth of protein (coming from fish, turkey, or chicken) + 30g worth of fat (coming from walnuts, almonds, olive oil, coconut oil, soybean oil from hummus)
-3hrs later (around 5pm) ~ 5g BCAAs and 2.5g creatine
-Meal 2(3hrs later around 8pm): Same as Meal 1
- Before Bed: 5g BCAAs, 2.5g creatine, ZMA's
Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
Matthew Bacorn

Hey Matthieu, how old are you?

Also, if you haven't yet, head on over to Whole Health Source and get to reading

As for my personal opinion, i would suggest ditching the soybean oil and eating some animal fat

Not stressing out about it may help too (this is my big problem; it can become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy)
Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #19
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu Hertilus View Post
5'6", 170lbs, ~12% bf.

I've done the strength cycle for 3 weeks and I'm currently on week 4 of the Bulgrian Cycle. For the past 3 weeks I've omitted the metcon portion of the workout to keep my strength up. I work usually first thing in the morning (only time I can get it in).

-Morning: Some sort of caffeine (ex. Fast Twitch) w/ 5g o BCAAs and 2.5g creatine
-Post Workout: 5g BCAAs and 2.5g creatine (the past week I've added a bannana or two w/ it)
-Meal 1(1.5 - 2hrs later around 2pm): Veggies (raw brocoli or spinach) + 35g worth of protein (coming from fish, turkey, or chicken) + 30g worth of fat (coming from walnuts, almonds, olive oil, coconut oil, soybean oil from hummus)
-3hrs later (around 5pm) ~ 5g BCAAs and 2.5g creatine
-Meal 2(3hrs later around 8pm): Same as Meal 1
- Before Bed: 5g BCAAs, 2.5g creatine, ZMA's
You don't eat enough. You get what? maybe 70 grams/protein, 30-40 grams of carbs and 60 grams of fat?

It sounds like you've got ~150 lbs of lean body mass. Caloric intake for maintenance of bodyweight will put you anywhere between 2100-2400 calories/day.

At 70 grams of protein = 280 calories
30-50 grams of carbs = 120-150 calories
60 grams of fat = 540 calories

Total = a maximum of 970 calories/day. If you're consistently 1100 calories below maintenance, and with that diet composition then I think I get what's going on with body comp/weight. You can stand to get another 100 grams of protein in (400 calories, up to ~1350-1400/day now). Carbs aren't evil, but they're not really required for an Oly lifter either. Semi-ketogenic should do fine +/- ~ 100 grams/day.
Fill in the rest how you want to so long as protein is set at 1 gram/lb of bodyweight (for an oly lifter this is important).

Spend a few days figuring out what it is to eat at maintenance. BCAAs and creatine won't cover your caloric requirements, not even close. I don't even know what the caloric value of a "serving" is for either, but it ain't much.

After you've figured out how much you actually need to maintain bodyweight, no increase, no decrease... stay there for a couple of weeks. I'm guessing your metabolism has taken a whollop from undereating so heavily and could use the time to repair. Then adjust downwards accordingly until you start to lose again.

And read these article here. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/cat...at-loss/page/2. Start with the series on Set Points, then move backwards onto Page 1 ending with the Body Weight Regulation Wrap Up.

That should keep you busy for a while and answer a lot of questions.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #20
Robert Johnson

I am about same body weight, I eat about double that amount, with much lighter weight lifting, and only one leg currently functioning.
Robert Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote