Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 04-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
joe waguespack

Default Strange sensation in abdominal

hey, everyone I havnt been around in a while but I needcsome insight and figured this was a good place to get it. A few weeks ago I was doing an wheel rollouts and felt a soreness down the center of my abs, I think it's called the linea alba. It wasn't a bad pain or a pop or anyhting like that. It went away and last week I was deadlifting and felt a weird dull sensation around the same spot, about two inches below my sternum. Again , no pain just a dull, numb sensation. I immediately thought hernia. I never saw or felt and protrusion of any type but elected to go to the doctor anyway. He told me I injured my xiphoid process. So I figured he's the doc, he must know. The only thing is that it is two inches below that and everything I read is that when you do injure the xiphoid it is pretty painful. Like I said, it's just a dull sensation that I mainly feel when I bend over or sit a certain way. It almost feels like a fat roll, only there's no fat or roll there. It's definitely internal. Any ideas, before I seek a second opinion from another doc? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Brian Lawyer

I have nothing constructive to add Joe except I would go ahead and get the second opinion. I wish I would have seen you earlier. I was just in Slidell for two weeks last month. We got a guest pass to the Slidell Athletic club. Typical globo gym loaded with tons of machines and only one half squat rack in the very back.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

My guess is that it's one of these two things:
Quote:
EPIGASTRIC hernias develop in the mid upper abdomen, anywhere along a line drawn from the lower point of the breastbone straight down to the Umbilicus. They rarely deviate to any extent away from this straight-lined area, but can occur at any point along it. These not-too-uncommon hernias arise in a defect of the mid-line fascia or tendon that is present between the two rectus or six-pack muscles (called the linea alba). These hernias are generally small in size and localized, rarely larger thatn the size of a golf-ball. Because of the small defect, the contents are easily pinched and these hernias therefore can cause a great deal of pain. Epigastric Hernias are extremely well suited for repair using a Tension Free method. Epigastric Hernias should not be confused with a condition called DIASTASIS RECTI (DR) (see below).

DIASTSIS RECTI is not a hernia. Although often confused and at times mis-diagnosed as an epigastric hernia, which it is not, these abdominal wall protrusions occur due to a widened band of non-contractile fascia or tendon normally present between the rectus musles. There is no defect or true hernia present in a normal Diastaasis Recti. Since this fascia does not contract as does normal adjacent muscle, when individuals with DR strain (e.g., do a sit-up), an elongated bulge in the upper abdomen, tappered at each end will appear. This non-tender bulge extends from just below the breast bone, down to the navel. Unlike Epigastric Hernias, a Diastasis Recti is not localized along the linea alba line, but involves the entire space between the breast bone and the navel. They are likened to a narrow foorball in shape. There is no pain associated with this bulge and it is not apparent when standing or walking, but is evident only when straining (sit ups). This is a variant of normal anatomy and Diastasis Recti is not a hernia. Surgery is not indicated for this condition and we disuade ill-advised attempts at surgical correction.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Liam Dougherty Springer

Joe any info as far as your condition?

This is probably not helpful but I found it interesting as your post has got me looking into hernias http://www.harvardhealthcontent.com/...rnia-myths.php

Its not to say you don't have a hernia it does seem as though they can exist without intense pain but pain and a bulge are always two of the first symptoms listed. And at 5% BF or whatever you are currently it would be hard to miss your guts poking out.

This little article or whatever does seem to make sense to me and if this guy has his research in order thatís one more bad rep for heavy lifting down the drain. SCORE!
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
Ben Langford

Joe,

Sounds exactly like the symptoms I got when I was doing roll outs in a weight vest a few years ago. It cleared itself up in around a week but would come back whenever I did heavy squats or deads for about a month after that. It may have been a hernia but being lean like you I figured I'd notice anykind of protusion. It went away totally in around 6 weeks.

Looking back I'd say I suffered a minor muscle tear which resulted in a calcium deposit developing in the muscle belly. This caused recurring symptoms whenever I supported a heavy load.

What I did and what you've done sound pretty similar so it might be worth bearing in mind when you get checked out.