Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #11
Jay Cohen

Gant, now U the Man.
Jay
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Kellen Love

Thanks Gant, and you have helped me to see a problem I have. I tend to get big losses in week 1 due to loss of water weight, and in week 2 or 3 when the weight loss stalls I tend to start looking around for something "better." I constantly suffer from "paralysis by analysis." Now I know there's nothing wrong with studying anything I can, because you can always learn more and implement things that work, but I do have a problem with always looking for the "best" thing rather than sticking to things.

I have picked some things up that I really like, so here's the plan I'm going to go with for the next 3-4 months (to give it a fair shake). I been crossfitting for a while now, and just stumbled on CF Football. I love it. I love that there's a strength WOD AND a regular WOD everyday. I'm going to mix in a couple steady state running days a week, just so that I can get my stamina up because I want to go to officer candidate school in the Air Force. As far as diet, I really like the anabolic solution. From my research it appears as though I have a fair amount of insulin resistance, so I should go low carb. But I like that the AD is cyclical, thereby restoring glycogen, and, well, giving me a little room to cheat once a week, to help keep me on the eating plan. I've been doing this for a couple weeks now. I also eat Paleo, with the exception of eating some cheese during the week, and I have some non-Paleo foods on my carb up days. I also mix in IF as often as I can. I love fasting, but it's not always an option (because as a college student I don't always get as much sleep as I'd like, and IFing on inadequate sleep is just the worst). This is going to be my overall approach to health and fitness in the upcoming months, and I think it's going to work well. Thanks.
Kellen Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
Kellen Love

I do have a question though, for anyone familiar with the Warrior Diet. I did it before and liked it, I seemed to be leaning out but wasn't really happy with my results on the scale so I stopped. My question is, as someone who is apparently insulin resistant, would the WD be a bad idea? Because I know fruit can get a bad rap as far as carbs are concerned. Or maybe it'd work if it was a low to fair amount of fruit in the undereating period, and then just meat and veggies in the overeating period. I guess to sum up, I'm just wondering if it'd be feasible for someone to lose 50 or so pounds on the warrior diet while maintaining muscle and strength. Because I really like fasting and the WD. I know this is a long post, if I didn't articulate myself clearly please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
Craig Brown

Gant, that was pretty much perfectly said.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen Love View Post
I do have a question though, for anyone familiar with the Warrior Diet. I did it before and liked it, I seemed to be leaning out but wasn't really happy with my results on the scale so I stopped. My question is, as someone who is apparently insulin resistant, would the WD be a bad idea? Because I know fruit can get a bad rap as far as carbs are concerned. Or maybe it'd work if it was a low to fair amount of fruit in the undereating period, and then just meat and veggies in the overeating period. I guess to sum up, I'm just wondering if it'd be feasible for someone to lose 50 or so pounds on the warrior diet while maintaining muscle and strength. Because I really like fasting and the WD. I know this is a long post, if I didn't articulate myself clearly please let me know. Thanks.
WD can be whatever you want it to be.....meat, fruits, etc.....just keep it small during the day and bigger at night. You would probably do better with more meat/fat in smaller portions and some fruits only if you feel blood sugar dropping.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
Kellen Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
WD can be whatever you want it to be.....meat, fruits, etc.....just keep it small during the day and bigger at night. You would probably do better with more meat/fat in smaller portions and some fruits only if you feel blood sugar dropping.
I was thinking about that MOD. Only breaking the fast with some fruit if I truly felt I couldn't make it through the fast without any sustenance. Then mostly meat, fat, and veggies at night, with a carb up day on sat and maybe sunday. That way it's the WD, but also to an extent low carb and cyclical low carb at the same time. May be the best situation for my apparent insulin resistance.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #17
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen Love View Post
I was thinking about that MOD. Only breaking the fast with some fruit if I truly felt I couldn't make it through the fast without any sustenance. Then mostly meat, fat, and veggies at night, with a carb up day on sat and maybe sunday. That way it's the WD, but also to an extent low carb and cyclical low carb at the same time. May be the best situation for my apparent insulin resistance.
Don't worry about what to call it.....just take what works and apply to your life....then adjust as needed. You'll find out what works once you just start and see what happens.