Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
glennpendlay

Default log

KB snatch, OAS, 6 min with 24kg KB

noon- 1 hour Judo with Gant

felt like shit the rest of the day, but did do some bottoms up presses with the 16kg KB

KB snatch, MAS went for 8 min with 16kg bell

then fooled around with the 32kg KB for a while, clean and jerks, some snatches, some pressing.

Vertical Exercise with 45lb, 2 inch handle dumbells, went for 5 min

sat/sun was at collegiate nationals, took KB's with me but didnt end up doing anything with them. Drank hard liquor for the first time in a couple of years, drove back sunday afternoon feeling like crap.

Ate like crap all week, for some reason got on a pasta kick, which is unlike me, then made a whole bunch of fried rice to take to collegiates so i wouldnt have to eat out for 2 1/2 days, well fried rice with lots of veggies and sirloin and chicken in it is better than fast food, but its still fried rice. At least I know what my total food intake for fri afternoon, sat and sunday was...

16 cups rice
6 zuchinni
6 yellow squash
2 bags baby peas
2 sticks butter
12 eggs
1lb sirloin
1lb chicken breast
lots of soy sauce, thai sweat and hot sauce, oyster sauce and terriyaki sauce
a little bit of louisianna sauce, well, actually a liberal amount.

anyone want to add up the macronutrients on that???

Deadlifted 308lbs for a set of 10, double overhand grip. No warmup, just did it for the hell of it. Very easy.

Judo for 1 hour with Gant. Almost puked, mostly because I made homemade Pizza and ate a few pieces 45 min or so before Judo. Tasted wonderful but didnt want to stay down.

later that day, started to do KB jerks, gave up after 2-3 minutes, generally felt like shit from Judo.

vertical exercise with 45lb 2 inch handle DB's, went for 3 minutes. Was going to go for 5 minutes, but my upper body was pretty sore from Judo.

5 minutes of long cycle with 16kb KB. Pretty weak, but its been a stressful week, I dont feel that great today, havnt been sleeping worth a damn, and I have to get up early tomorrow (saturday) and drive to Amarillo for a weightlifting meet, and dont want to feel sore and like crap tomorrow.

The shit eating has continued, making pizza, spaghetti, etc every day. been busy, havnt been to the store, its what i have the ingredients to make and its relatively quick and easy, and the kiddos like it and i havnt been in the mood to listen to griping. Will be out of town over the weekend, and havnt made and packed food and its 9pm friday night, so the crap diet will continue for another day or two.
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
Chris H Laing

Nice to see you finally have a log here. Good luck with your kids at the meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
later that day, started to do KB jerks, gave up after 2-3 minutes, generally felt like shit from Judo.
Sounds exactly like me after a morning session of judo. I get a headache and my whole body just kinda shut down. You should try judo in the evening.

The judo classes I go to now start at 7:30 and end at 9:00, and then I dont have time for a headache or feeling like shit because I just go home and sleep it off. Maybe something for you to try if the feeling like shit continues after earlier sessions.

And again, welcome to the boards.

P.S. I started HB back squats after i read your post on the CF boards
Old 04-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
glennpendlay

Drove to Amarillo for weightlifting meet. left at 8am, got back at 9pm, so no training. But took 11 kids, 10 of them set new personal records, only one that didnt was Caleb who purposfully lifted light, going 6 for 6 and 145/180. My son clean and jerked 25kg, which I am proud of, since he is 7 years old. Also had an 8 year old girl who just started do 25kg on clean and jerk, she has done more in training but we went kind of light considering that it was her first meet. She is gonna be VERY good.

20 reps in vertical lift with 2" handle 45lb dumbells in the morning as a wake up, spent the rest of the day with my son, riding bikes, ran a bit at the track (William did a quarter mile in 2 min 51 sec, I didnt time myself), then finished the day with a couple of hours at chuck e cheese, mostly embarrassing myself at the basketball games. Actually played the basketball games enough times in a row to get lactic acid burning in my shoulders.

Also went to Sams and bought a brisket to smoke tomorrow. Got to get off this carb and pasta crappy eating binge.

One other odd diet fact, ate sardines for the first time in maybe 10 years today. remembered them as being horrible, but today they werent bad.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
glennpendlay

pretty much did nothing except ride my bike with my son a bit.

C2 rower, 2000 meters at a blistering pace. took me 9:29 to finish. went pretty slow and easy.

havn't rowed for a couple of weeks. a while back I did a 1:29 500 meters, and am getting the bug to try to beat that, but am just not in the mood for the nausea that goes with an all out 500, so I figure to try some slower longer distances, and hope that improves my 500 time next time im in the mood to try it.

glenn
Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
glennpendlay

did the C2 rower again today, another 2000 meters. This time did it in 8:30 Not really respectable, but not as suckish as yesterday. Wasnt really gassed out at the end, but was sweating buckets. But then again, I break a sweat tying my shoes, and start to drip when I have to get up and walk to the bathroom. I think I'm gonna take a day or two off from rowing, and then go for an 8:00 flat 2000 meters.

I looked around at the C2 site, and was surprised at how few people are in the low 1:20's for 500 meters. Considering I did 1:29 while in terrible shape and after just a few sessions on the rower, I think I might have a chance at getting a pretty respectable time on a 500 meter row. So, I'm kind of motivated to work on the rower. I know, its called cherry picking things you might be good at to stroke your ego... but whatever.

glenn
Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
I think I'm gonna take a day or two off from rowing, and then go for an 8:00 flat 2000 meters.... So, I'm kind of motivated to work on the rower. I know, its called cherry picking things you might be good at to stroke your ego... but whatever.

glenn
That's not cherry picking. It's called having goals. You have been around long enough to know you have to have training goals. I've been watching your log above and it didn't appear you really had an end goal in mind at first. You were pulling the randomest things together (i.e. some rowing, some kettlebell stuff). Now it looks like you are getting into it with your 8:00 2000 meter rowing goal!

You doing anymore Judo training lately?

Keep up the good work!
Brian
Old 04-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
glennpendlay

Brian,

Random? Yeah. My log should be called "ex-competitive athlete who needs to train to stay in some semblance of shape, but not quite sure what he wants to do"

My training has to follow a few guidlines

1. Most of it has to take place out of a gym. I am in the gym 3+ hours most days coaching, cant train when I am coaching, and have no desire nor the time to spend more time in the gym.

2. It has to be portable. I travel a lot, have to be doing something I can do now and again on the road.

3. I have to do something that works around my numerous old injuries, and little physical things I dont care to tweak anymore.

4. It has to be more than just strength, Ive devoted around 20 years to the pursuit of strength, now at 38 years old health needs to play a part in my plans.

Now, I do have some concrete goals.

1. To get in better shape for Judo, and get better at Judo. I really, really like Judo, but cant make the scheduled evening practice sessions due to coaching responsibilities and kid duties. Gant has been kind enough to kick my ass for an hour once a week, and for now that has to be enough actual mat time. But due to this limited mat time, some of my other activities have to contribute to improving my physical condition for Judo. Im looking forward to not becoming nauseous before Gant gets his heart rate up.

2. I plan on competing in GS at some point in the future, but am in no hurry. So KB's, while a way to get in better general and overall condition, are also gonna play a part most weeks because I am trying to make some progress on the 10 minute sets of snatches/jerks/long cycle.

3. Ive always enjoyed grip training. I've always been proud of my grip strength. And one of my goals is to get back to the point where I can do some of the grip "feats of strength" that I used to be able to do. So its likely that my training will include some 2" barbell or dumbell work, or other grip training.

So given all this its likely that my training will stay somewhat "random". But within that randomness will be C2 training and the desire to post better 500 meter, 1000 meter, and 2000 meter times, long sets of KB lifts and the attempt to improve what I can do for snatch/jerk/long cycle in 10 minutes, and some grip work, if nothing more than lifting fat handled dumbells or barbells.

glenn
Old 04-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
George Mounce

Glenn, good luck on the C2 and glad to see you here. Don't let the C2 site fool you, the monsters don't always keep logs there. Plus, a 1:20/500m is too fast, most would burn out too quickly, plus the stroke rates are entirely different. The world record pace is a 1:24/500m. (World record C2 is 5:36.6 by Rob Waddell) and is absolutely cooking. That man has enormous power on the erg.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/records/in...ype=2000_world
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
glennpendlay

George,

I have no illusions of being world class on the rower, I just thought that judging by the times on the site, a, say 1:25 or lower 500 meters would be pretty good. Actually, If I could row 500 at the same pace the world record guy keeps for 2000 meters, id be pretty happy. I dont think thats far off.

Glenn

16kg KB snatch, 50 + 50, OAS in 6:15

This started out trying to be 100 + 100 in 10 min or less, but, lack of chalk at home and my sweaty hands and slick kettlebell handles, plus my dog getting underfoot several times and having to be pushed away derailed the effort. That and the fact that I have no cardiovascular fitness or muscular endurance.

I think the next time I try to do anything significant on DB snatches, Im going to go for 100 + 100 with Multiple Arm Switches, but still not setting the bell down. this shouldnt be too hard, and will allow me to wipe my sweaty palms every 10 reps or so when I switch hands.

I also cant wait till I can get some GS style KB's. The Ader bells that I have are fine for most stuff, but not the best for GS style training.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
I plan on competing in GS at some point in the future, but am in no hurry.
What's GS? Also, next time I work out with you should show me how to do KB snatches since that seems to be a staple of your program. Remember that kettlebell I bought from you last month? I put it in my garage and haven't touched it since.