Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #21
glennpendlay

I saw it. Hes not the smoothest press secretary we have ever had.
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
glennpendlay

Just got back from noon Judo with Gant. Couple of things... one is that I do think I am getting in better grappling shape. Was out of breath and definately tired at one point today, but was never really uncomfortable. We did ground work at like 80% intensity for maybe 10 minutes (well Gant might have been going at 50%, I was going 80 or above) and I definately felt WAY better than in previous practices. Actually was looking forward to another conditioning/ground session at the end of practice, unlike last time when I was praying that Gant would forget that we planned that. Unfortunately, my left knee got funky when we were doing some standing technique work, and I had to call it quits for the day.

Other thing that I noticed and was happy with myself for is that I think I am "seeing" opportunities a lot faster than I have been (probably both because Im not sucking wind so bad, and because im getting back in the swing of wrestling), and this is allowing me to actually attempt something in about half the time it was taking me last time we practiced. Didnt discuss this with Gant but Id bet he would agree.

And last, Ive been thinking a lot over the past week or so about using the Gi, which is much different than the wrestling that I am used to. I think I did a LOT better today with getting a good lapel grip and using it to at least try to get Gant off balance today than I have in the past.

Now a question for those that might be reading this... been reading a bit about the VO2 max protocol for KB's... I think its out of a book called warrior conditioning. I'm too cheap to buy the book, but from what I gather from various websites and blogs, the initial program is basically snatch for 15 seconds, rest 15 seconds, switch hands and repeat... so basically you are doing 8 snatches at the top of the minute with one hand, resting till the bottom of the minute, doing 8 snatches with the other hand, and on and on, with the goal being to keep this up for 40 minutes. i am a bit tired of what I'm presently doing, and am thinking of trying this. Anyone here who can tell me if I have the program right, or have any experience doing this?

Since I have a competition this weekend, i know I wont be doing much training sat or sunday, so am wanting to do a long and hard KB workout thur or friday, and this seemed like a novel thing to try.

glenn
Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #23
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
Other thing that I noticed and was happy with myself for is that I think I am "seeing" opportunities a lot faster than I have been (probably both because Im not sucking wind so bad, and because im getting back in the swing of wrestling), and this is allowing me to actually attempt something in about half the time it was taking me last time we practiced. Didnt discuss this with Gant but Id bet he would agree.
I am having the same experiences as you. I started judo around 3 weeks ago, and yesterday I got my first arm bar during ground work, and I felt like I saw the opening and took it a lot faster than any previous ground session. Its a cool feeling
Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #24
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

You're definitely seeing things faster and reacting better. Your balance on the ground is good, and your hand speed is excellent. If we do matwork at the front and back of every session, you'll be there in six weeks. Getting the joints used to multi-directional movement will take a little longer, but that will come, as well. After that, it's about learning when to use strength (instead of trying to wad your opponent--me--up into a ball at all times).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
I am having the same experiences as you. I started judo around 3 weeks ago, and yesterday I got my first arm bar during ground work, and I felt like I saw the opening and took it a lot faster than any previous ground session. Its a cool feeling
Excellent. It's good to see it and set it up fast, but don't lock it in fast until you're reeeeaaaally comfortable with it. I've had my elbows hyper-extended a few times by overzealous players.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 05-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #25
Brian Lawyer

Quote:

Just got back from noon Judo with Gant. Couple of things... one is that I do think I am getting in better grappling shape.
I'll roll with you and Gant next time I am up there. You all will have to get me up to speed on Judo etiquette. I am not new to martial arts. I used to be really into MMA training. I trained about 3 days per week for 3 years cross training between BJJ, Muy Thai, wrestling takedowns, etc. That was about 7-8 years ago now.

I did go into a local MMA dojo a couple years ago and walking in off the street after about 4 years off from training I tapped out 4 out of the 5 guys who showed up to train that night. I think I got tapped out 1 time. Granted I don't know if those were that instructors prize fighters or not. But since I was the new guy off the street, I think most of the guys were probably going at me around 95-100% to try to kick my ass.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #26
glennpendlay

Brian, happy to, as long as you promise not to hurt me! I dont know the Judo etiquette either, but I think I am slowly learning at least some of it. I can say that I find Judo thouroughly enjoyable. I have tried MMA stuff twice. Once a few years ago with a police officer named Alan Killingsworth, who was a pretty strong and in shape guy of about 230lbs or so. Rolled around with him and a couple of his "students" for about an hour one night, then they never came back to the gym, so that ended that. Then maybe 8 months ago signed up for an MMA class at the Warriors Way academy where my son does his martial arts stuff, did 3-4 sessions, and they cancelled the class because no one was showing up (2-3 people showed up on a typical night). Both experiences were fun, but nowhere near as enjoyable as Judo. Knock on wood, but I think this will be my new sport, as long as I can stay healthy. I have the same sort of excitement and anticipation that I did when I started my last 3 sports, wrestling, powerlifting, and Olympic weightlifting. Now to just figure out a way to get more mat time...
Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #27
glennpendlay

Did a 3000 meter row today, was going to be 5000 but I ran out of time and had to quit to hurry up and go and pick up my son from his warriors way academy.

It was kind of a sucky row. I had gotten some advice from a decent rower on how to better my form and technique. Most of the advice centered on lengthening the stroke and slowing down the stroke rate. So, I tried really hard to slow down the rate. It was frustrating. My split time kept creeping towards 3:00. I tried to speed up, but then the stroke rate went up past 30. It was VERY hard to keep the stroke rate below 27 and at the same time keep the split time below 3:00. So I did a 3000 meter row in 16:48, didnt really break a sweat, and didnt really get winded. So felt like a wast of time, but I'm sure it wasnt, because I have been assured that the key to good times on rows is to minimize the stroke rate at a certain speed. Ive been told that this is especially true for a big fat guy like me, the more energy wasted moving my fat ass up and down the slide the quicker I will tire. Makes sense.

And, since I need to beat Gant's 1:27 500 meters as quickly as possible, I need all the technique advantages I can get.

glenn
Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #28
Arien Malec

Quote:
It was kind of a sucky row. I had gotten some advice from a decent rower on how to better my form and technique. Most of the advice centered on lengthening the stroke and slowing down the stroke rate. So, I tried really hard to slow down the rate. It was frustrating. My split time kept creeping towards 3:00.
It's all about power and recovery. A stroke rate of 30 is insane. Deliberately break this habit by going down to 20 strokes/min and working on getting max power from each stroke and working the catch. Don't even worry about split times, just worry about getting max power from each stroke and setting up the catch on the next stroke. Think a 1:2 ratio in stroke:recovery -- count 1 (stroke), 2, 3 (recovery & catch).

See if you can get that rowing coach to work with you -- if that's your technique and you are getting close to sub 1:30 times on the 500m, when you clean up your technique, with your size, strength, and power, you should be able to mop the floor with Gant really soon .
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #29
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
I have the same sort of excitement and anticipation that I did when I started my last 3 sports, wrestling, powerlifting, and Olympic weightlifting. Now to just figure out a way to get more mat time...
With your wrestling background you should have some really good take down skills and working in the clinch.

You sound a lot like me. I had to give up the MMA hobby because it's just too much trouble finding time to hit the mats. A decent MMA gym will run you $100 - $150 per month and then you restricted to their training schedule. I went hobbyless for several years then got turned onto this Olympic lifting thing. O'Lifting is easier to train for because I do so much of the work on my own. A very individual sport.

See you tomorrow!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #30
glennpendlay

Arien,

You've given me more evidence my technique sucks. Before I got some advice I was going at a 33-34 stroke rate when I rowed 2k, no telling what it was when I hit the 1:29 500 meters. Obviously higher than 34 though. Im going to do another longer, slower row today, and focus on applying force to the handle through the whole stroke, some other advice I got elsewhere, and still trying to slow down the stroke rate.

Brian,

See me tomorrow? Am I missing something? Isnt this Thursday?

See you on Saturday!

glenn