Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Read this thread:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=106
Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
Scott Kustes

My 400m last July was 57.75. At an indoor meet in March, I hit a 63.xx. This past Friday, I hit 53.74 last Friday after doing this type of speed-endurance work for 6 weeks. You'll have to do the math yourself on what pace to set, but you can see how he's calculating it and figure it out.

Next goal is sub-52. Improve your raw speed and you'll improve your speed-endurance to a degree as well...it's easier to maintain 75% of your max speed than to maintain 80%.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

That's crazy improvement. I'm going to have to check that site out.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Blair Lowe

http://www.nacactfca.org/articles/Hart-eng.htm

Clyde Hart, looks like a good read.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
Blair Lowe

Hmm, based on some sprinting on Sunday and talking with a former college sprinter today; I'd like to recant some of my ideas. I think a lot of what I offered is based on percentage runs and this is what we did in HS. It was brought up to me that many HS coaches don't really know what they are programming. Our sprinters all ran the same stuff regardless of what race they were in. Basically 100's to 400's. No specialization, really besides some work for relays. Hurdlers were somewhere in there, too.

It is difficult I think to guage and think running at 70, 80, or 90 percent while running. Easier just to sprint all out.

I did 3 sprints yesterday. I biked 8 miles as slow as possible ( and downhill ) and then did some pitching ( 49 pitches all over the place gradually getting better ). I thought I would end off with a 100, 200, and 400 timed.

It took me over 1m to walk a 100 as a rest, over 2-2.5 for the 200 and just over 5 for the 400. I think I ended up taking 10m after the 200 and I'm not even sure I felt 100% rested again. Only 5 after the 100 and same effect. However, I am out of shape@ 2x the BF I was in HS, sizeably bigger since then ( 165-170 now, 145ish as a sr and 125ish as a jr [ no WL as a jr and post WL as a sr ] ).

My times were:

100-15.52
200-32.47
400-1:19

I was embarassed and didn't even want to post it. Hell, there was a lot of swearing after the 100. These are self timed and I punched it on my first step(motion) and after I crossed. I started gassing out in the last legs (10%) of the 100 and 200 and even though I paced the 400, the last 50 was a fight.

I was hoping for around 13, 28, and near 60 to maybe 70. I will try this again in 2 weeks and hopefully find a track that is closer. Running shoes and a rubber track with nice conditions. I will do it not on a day after biking a fair amount of distance or pitching ( which is probably way more tasking than that coasting I did to get from point A to point B ).

Looking around at some more resources, it looks like rest was till regular HR typically being at least 10m to 20m probably depending on the distance.

My 200 time wasn't that much off from my 100. My start was kind of poor on the 100 and it was from a stand and not the ground.

Looking back at this all, I think for my purposes, I will play with running 3 50's, 2 100's and 2 200's. I like to train for the general ability of 100-400. I will double the rest times and instead of walking I think I'll just lay down.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
Scott Kustes

Gant, note that the 63.xx is an unfair representation of my baseline. I hadn't been training sprints in the previous several months, it was an indoor meet (i.e., 4 sharp, banked turns instead of 2 big sweeping turns), and there was no one near me to push me. I was barely gassed by the end...probably had another 4-5 seconds in me easily. But yes, this speed-endurance setup works.

Fitness Spotlight
Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #17
Timothy Holmes

*When you start a running/sprinting program make sure that your ankle/calf strength/stability is in order. When I started, I got shin splints pretty quickly. For me, the treatment was foot drills, stretching the left ankle, and strengthening the right tibialis anterior.*

If you haven't done too much running before then just getting out there will give you results. 150's are a staple for jumpers and decathletes. Do them with a 3 minute turnaround - run + walkback = 3 minutes. Run at 75-90%. Once you can't finish strongly and pace is way down, switch to the same thing over 100m. Once you can't finish strongly here then stop, or rest and then do a moderate 400m as a finisher. I started out with 3x150 and 5x100, once or twice a week.

After building some sort of sprinting base, it wouldn't hurt to throw in some specific endurance work like Scott says.

When I first started track and field, I had a 55" 400m. After only doing this sort of running training and long jump training for 2 months, I managed a 53.65 on tired legs.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
Scott Kustes

Blair, as for resting between sprints, full recovery is needed if your goal is speed work. When I'm doing the speed-endurance that I posted above, I go with the advice to rest 1 minute for every 10m run. So if I do a 2x300m sprint, I walk the track a couple times, lay/sit around, etc for 30 minutes after the first one. I do some light warmup stuff again about 10 minutes out from the next run.

That means your 200s are around 20 minutes rest. Don't short yourself on the rest when training speed. There's no way your times are reflective of what you could do with that short of a rest.

If you haven't been training sprints at all, you'll probably make some good improvements just by sprinting. CNS is going to figure out the pattern you're looking for and start firing properly.

Last 100-150m of a full-out 400m is always a fight. A friend commented that I looked like I was hating life last Friday around midway of turn 2. I replied that there's no other way to look in a hard 400. Lots of mental stuff going on there when the body asks you "WTF do you think you're doing?"

Fitness Spotlight
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
Scott Kustes

Oh, and I never actually run a 100m, 200m, or 400m sprint in training. None of those are really pure speed. There is an element of speed-endurance to all of them.

I do something like this for speed and acceleration (these are each individual workouts...volume very low, intensity very high):
2 x (10/20/30/40m), full recovery - 2 reps at each distance, increasing from 10-40m.
5 x Flying 30-50m - 20m run in, hit full speed at 0m and hold for 30-50m (i.e., a fly-in, hence the name)
5-10 x 30-60m, from blocks - if your goal isn't actually competing in track meets, no need for blocks, just go with a three-point start.

Basically, no need to do more than 10 reps, and I rarely do that many. When I feel sluggish and am not hitting a good speed, I quit, even if it's only been 4 reps. And if your goal is to get faster, you don't really need to go more than 60m. If you're not running in track meets, 100m, 200m, and 400m are arbitrary distances.

Fitness Spotlight
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Gant, note that the 63.xx is an unfair representation of my baseline. I hadn't been training sprints in the previous several months, it was an indoor meet (i.e., 4 sharp, banked turns instead of 2 big sweeping turns), and there was no one near me to push me. I was barely gassed by the end...probably had another 4-5 seconds in me easily. But yes, this speed-endurance setup works.
I took that into account, indoor track, early season meet, etc. I was going from the high 57 you ran last July. 1 second per 100m is significant.

Between this and the frequent emails I'm getting from VS Athletics, I'm getting tempted for some masters hurdles.