Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Eddie Clark

Default Snatch, C&J PR attempts : Feedback please

Snatch @ 79.5Kg (175#) Shot the hips a bit when I was coming out of the hole which got the bar moving forward so I had to chase it a bit.

Clean and Jerk @ 97.5Kg (215#) : I got the bar overhead but the jerk was very very ugly with quite a bit of press out. I really struggle with the jerk. I have trouble maintaining a solid platform during the dip and drive and I tend to jump my hips forward instead of down. I feel that my jerk is limited largely by technique. I am able to push jerk 205#with snatch grip behind the neck fairly easily. When I dip and drive it "feels" like I am being solid but when I watch the videos you can see my whole thoracic region buckling which kills the power and starts to get the bar and me moving forward.

Here is a C&J with my previous PR 93Kg (205): This jerk is a little better but I still buckle and I drive the bar and my hips forward which is evidenced in my recovery. Because the bars momentum was moving forward I had to recover with my rear foot first.

OHS @ 93Kg Here you can see that I didn't really have a problem with push jerking 205# and there wasn't nearly as much buckling of the thoracic region.

Thanks for any feedback ahead of time.

P.S.
Garrett I have been using that press out with the bar over head like you do...when I remember it
Eddie Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Brian DeGennaro

The snatch looks great, just a few technical flaws. First, your pull is REALLY fast and your hips are rising before your shoulders, which is setting you up for some bad positioning in the 2nd pull. The bar swings out slightly, which is why you had to step forward to balance the barbell.

On the CJ, you fail to bring your knees back and out of the way, causing you to jump forward. You meet the bar OK, it could be better. If you focus on getting more on your heels after you break the bar from the floor, then focus on bringing the bar up your stomach (like literally brush it), and racking it well will be a cinch. The jerk looks great, I think you could use a long step and work on getting your chest through more.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

I think Brian pretty much covered it.

Actually, my biggest concern is the space you're OLing in. That rack is really close behind you, and I'm guessing the front wall is just out of the picture. That could get pretty iffy really quick on a heavy lift...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Eddie Clark

Your correct about the space issue. Its bad enough lifting with the rack behind me but I didn't realize that extra bar was sitting in the rack until after I watched the vids. In front of me pretty clear, that is the open space for the folks using free weights. I actually put in a request to have an area cleared out for folks who use free weights and to have a weightlifting platform built. Currently, like most gyms, it is filled with lots of cardio and barely used machines. We'll see. I guess the Marines here have a lot of pull so I am going to lobby them for support. Apparently gym decisions are made by committee.

I may give that "frog" starting position a go for the snatch to see how it works out for me. However the coaches I have worked with, Coach Cannella in Columbus, OH, and Coach Burgener, have all told me to widen my stance because of my landing position. I tried to use a dynamic start for the Snatch, once the bar broke free of the ground my hip and shoulder angle pretty much remained the same. However my shoulders are further in front of the bar than I really want. Which causes a fairly significant looping path of the bar. [Just thinking aloud, if you will]

Thanks guys.
Eddie Clark is offline   Reply With Quote