Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
Ron Nelson

I've focused on clean proteins, and when I can't get clean, just protein. The workouts will make you hungry, but I've found I can tolerate some high GI carbs and protein right after the workout, especially on DL day (like today).
On off days, my hunger is pretty normal and controllable as long as I can up the protein.

Speaking of DL day, I upped everything on this day to three rounds. I took the weight down for the military press and pull overs, but kept it the same for the DL, which was a mistake. I f^%ked up my back 8 reps into set 3 with 135#. I was determined to finish, and did with just the bar. The split squats were a bitch during the third round. Pull overs were painful due to the lower back killing me. Partial squats were out. I tried one with 135# and almost passed out from the pain. The guy in the next rack though I was a puss, so I held my back and grunted to save my ego.

I spent 15 minutes in a 180 degree sauna to recover. It was swell.

Weigh in showed I was down another 3 pounds. Now at 222 almost 221.

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. Good luck on the journey. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Ron Nelson

After f&^king up my back on Sunday doing my third set of deadlifts, this was my first attempt at a workout with any weight. I upped the weight on the squat to 115 then 125 as I was cutting the sets to two from three.

See, I've learned something, and maybe you'll benefit from this; when the body suffers fatigue, form goes to hell. When form goes to hell, injuries occur. Brilliant, huh? My third set of 20 reps of DL's using 135# was stupid. Ego made me go for the third set. On the eighth rep (or so) the back spasmed and sent me reeling. Only with heat, hip stretching, and mobility practice was I able to recover (pretty quickly I might add) and squat today.

I love squat day because there are no Bulgarian split squats to be seen. Just friendly step-ups with 10lb in each hand for two rounds. The rows were annoying. Unfortunately, I was interrupted by a phone call from the OC district attorney's office in the middle of the Swiss ball stuff. Seriously, they called me regarding an investigation and seriously, I was actually doing pretty well with the SHEL-C move.

On to coach cross country.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
On to coach cross country.
(Ron sitting in a lounge chair with beer and megaphone)....."RUN"......"Run some more"......"Keep running"....."Go to my House and get me another Beer".....

Tough job!
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
Ron Nelson

You say you're in Georgia, yet you can see what is happening in Anaheim.

Frightening.

The kids have to get faster. My beer keeps getting warm by the time they get back.

Last edited by Ron Nelson; 02-06-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Geographically challenged
Old 02-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
You say you're in Georgia, yet you can see what is happening in Anaheim.
Nope...just remember seeing you at my last coaching seminar.......I apply the same strategies....it's the nacho order my kids keep screwing up....
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #16
Ron Nelson

So, it's been a while; let's catch up.

Friday was a metcon day (read: cardio). Did 20 min on the elliptical at level 11 (but these go to 11) using the AC suggested 2 min easy/1 min hard method. My hammies and glutes were frying.
After, I went up to the weight area and did some fun lifts. Waiter's walk with 80lbs, farmer's walks with 100lbs, db snatches done KB style with 45lb, 2 sets of 10 each arm. Then went and did some rotation work on the cable cross thingy. Also did some cable punches.

Saturday was drinking too much and eating too much day. So much for progress.

Yesterday was the last squat day of the first phase. I cut back to two sets but upped the weight to 115 and 125 for the sets (up from 95 for three sets). The push ups felt good as the lower back seems to have let go of its spasm. The step ups were done for two sets with 20lbs of additional weight. Rows were 75 and 85lbs. I actually got through the entire Swiss ball madness without problems for once.

Today I was planning to do more cardio, but had to forgo due to an ear infection (my daughter's not mine) and touring central Orange County to run errands. I did notice a big metabolic shift today. I'm not sure if it's something I ate or the fact that I did 2 sets of 20 squats with more weight than I'm used to, but the body seems to be "shedding" some unneeded "waste material" at an alarming rate. I'll have to weigh in tomorrow and update the results.

Tomorrow is the last DL day of phase 1.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Ron Nelson

OK, did the last 20 rep DL day today. I used my fake trap bar set up and went for with the weight. Upped it to 160 then 170, and for fun added a third set at 210. The third set was for as many reps as I could handle. I got 10 before grip and hams said, "enough."
I followed this scheme with the rest of the lifts and was pleasently surprised. Got a third set of 20 using 30lbs for the seated military press; got a third set of split squats (barefooted to the pleasure of those around me) with 25lbs for 10 reps per leg; got a third set of 13 pull overs with 22.5 in each hand. I decided to do this after talking with Dan John about his experiences with Afterburn. He told me that he likes to tinker with chains and bands and such, so I took that and put my spin on it

I think I owe him money now.

Finally, when I left the gym on a DL day, I felt as if I left it all in the gym and I wasn't hurt. A plus all around.

On Thursday, I'll start phase II of the program.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
Ron Nelson

Phase II started today, but let me say this first:

Fu%#ing commercial gym people piss me off to no end. Cardio addicted asshats who barge in on my workout only to drip their sweat on my bench.
I hope they get facial jock itch.

There, I feel better.

Now, the workout was different and perhaps a little easier than phase I. The set/rep scheme is 3x12 with 3 movement supersets. Because there is no rest between sets, the heart rate stays up and the fatigue comes on a little faster. Because I have a pretty good background in CF, I think I can handle these sets a little better than the 20 rep sets from phase I. Probably explains the cockiness on my part.

Interesting thing from this workout was losing (by the way all of you, that's how you spell "losing," one "o"; not "loosing" which would mean not tight(ing). . .sorry to be a prick, but as an English teacher, it's like saying, "like" every other word. . .it gets on my nerves)(OK, I'm not sorry I'm a prick) . . .where the hell was I? Oh yeah, losing grip strength on the RDL's. RDL's come as movement #3 in the first superset. By the time you're pulling 12 RDL's at a modest (nay, light) 135, your grip is shot. Set three sucked the worst of all.

Superset 2 wasn't bad, but I suck at any benching, so incline bench presses will be my worst. I'm focusing on form and getting the full ROM as outlined in Afterburn. Step ups were part of this set and were done with a 25# plate.

New movement was the co-contracting lunge. They suck, but not as bad as Bulgarian split squats.

Cosgrove is still a grade "A" sadist.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
Ron Nelson

Phase II is a bitch.

Today featured a triplet of jumping squats, push presses, and good mornings.
Three rounds of 12 each.

Sucks.

I'm having trouble typing because my arms are still shaking. Looks like we've tapped into the CNS for some heavy adaption.

Second triplet was easier, but that's probably because it featured pull downs which I find to be too easy, so I upped the weight each round. Static lunges are cool if you challenge yourself. UB Russian twists weren't bad at all.

I'm at the same weight since last week (btwn 225 and 227, depending on whether or not I ate). Really want to get below 220 in the next 2 weeks so I can start the big push in Phase III. Of course, that means more cardio,

Old 02-21-2007, 04:06 AM   #20
Allen Yeh

Are you doing AC's energy system development stuff for the cardio portion?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote