Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
Ron Nelson

Supposedly. My schedule has been so screwed lately that I can rarely get to the gym let alone get in my cardio. Yeah, he calls it "energy systems work," but just because you call a dog's ass a work of art, doesn't make it beautiful.
In other words, I really don't like the "energy systems work." That said, my fat ass needs to do more.

Way more.

Really, Phase II is such a killer that I really can't see anyone having the energy to do 20-25 min. of "ESW" doing 2 min. easy/1 min. full bore. If I have the time to get in the gym, I usually do the cardio then fool around in the weight room with swings, walks (farmer's, waiter's), DB snatches, partials, anything to throw weight around and cause the gym patrons to panic.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #22
Allen Yeh

Ron,

That's how I feel right now with TNRoL by the time I finish the workout I'm beat and everytime I try to give the energy system stuff a go right after it's impossible because I have no energy to give to this.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 AM   #23
Steve Shafley

Heh.

Not saying that it gets any easier, but in AB II it looks like this sometimes:

complexes/weights/finisher/interval cardio

Brutal due to the fact that you are completely whipped.

I did a complex/AB 1 workout/finisher and it completely messed me up.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #24
Ron Nelson

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, today I did the jumping squat triplet and decided to push the weight up to 85#. Again, sounds like nothing, but during the third set of 12 of a triplet, I'm sucking wind like a Hoover. I actually got a side stitch today during the workout.
I guess GPP is being covered.

Steve,
If you see this again, did you find you kept the weights relatively light in order to avoid breaks in the sets. or are you just way stronger than me?

Silly question as I've seen your Vblog and know you're way stronger than me.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #25
Ron Nelson

Trying something different today. Normally, I'd be back on the jumping squat day, but I've decided to try the two-day workout posted by Tony Gentilcore.
This looks like something I've been looking for; a mix of strength one day and metcon the next, rather than almost pure metcon.

We'll see.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #26
Allen Yeh

What did you think of Tony's split?

I'm supposed to be going on to Strength III next week but I'm iffy because my shoulders aren't feeling great from the heavy overhead pressing. Right now I'm looking around as to what I might want to get into next. The only real goal at the moment I need work on my 2 mile run by April 14 for a PT test.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
Ron Nelson

In a word, the splits are taxing. I really like this way of doing things and it makes perfect sense. Strength one day, metcon the next.
I did the metcon on Tuesday using the DL's, pull ups, DB military press, and walking lunges (with 35# and then 25#). I quickly found out that my starting weight for the DL had to drop in order to maintain form and pace. In all, the first part took exactly 18 minutes with rest. The rotator cuff and core work was fun.

Next week I'll reverse the order and do DL's for strength and squats for metcon. Should be fun. I'm liking the flexibility of this template.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #28
Dave Van Skike

What is your appetite like on this sort of a protocol? Are you able to keep overall calories in check?

Last edited by Dave Van Skike; 03-08-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: jesus tapdancing christ, i just can't spell.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #29
kevin mckay

"asshats" haha I like that. I really enjoy insulting people with term they most likely have not heard before. I will put it on the top of my list with "tool shed" and shopping cart.

Sorry for the hijack
kevin mckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #30
Ron Nelson

I first saw "asshats" used by Matt Gagliardi. You are welcome to it and welcome to hijack anytime.

I just switched the routine in the "2 day a week" W/O. In other words, I'm doing DL's heavy and squats for reps. I tend to mix the other stuff up according to need/weakness. I'm still quite pleased with how this is going. It doesn't seem to put me in "ravenous" mode quite like AB1, but I still get hungry. I usually eat something before the W/O like cottage cheese or some fruit so I'm not totally starving afterward. Also, I've started restricting kcals as a means of losing fat/weight. It seems to be working. I hope I don't quit doing it.

Cutting down on the beer seems to help as well. Trying a "drink better, not more" approach.

Side note: I finally got the wife to buy butter instead of margarine. I showed her the fat/calorie breakdown and the list of ingredients. The selling point was margarine was oil. Butter had three ingredients; milk, cream, salt.

Scorecard after 16 years of marriage: Ron-1; wife 1,000,000

Ain't gonna be no shutout.