Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #31
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
Side note: I finally got the wife to buy butter instead of margarine. I showed her the fat/calorie breakdown and the list of ingredients. The selling point was margarine was oil. Butter had three ingredients; milk, cream, salt.

Scorecard after 16 years of marriage: Ron-1; wife 1,000,000

Ain't gonna be no shutout.
We switched to butter a few months ago too, I went the "50 ingredients versus 3" route and she was shocked about the number of ingredients.

The New Rules of Lifting is pretty light on the nutritional side but I like what Lou Schuler said about clean eating.

"If you can't visualize it roaming, growing, or being extracted from something that is roaming or growing, you probably shouldn't eat it....You can make a game out of it: Three Degrees of Clean Eating. If you need more than three visual images to get the food in its natural state, then it's probably not worth eating."

Luckily that works perfectly for beer and wine!

1. Grow barley/grapes
2. Ferment
3. bottle and drink!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #32
Ron Nelson

Alan, I like the way you think. . .and drink.

Last night did the metcon workout according to T. Gentilcore. Used 135# squats, pull ups, 40# db military presses, and 40# static lunges.
Got 4 rounds of 10 each done in 19 min with rests. Not bad for upping the poundage.

What I hate, and I know I'm not alone on this, is the "cardio." For the metcons, you're supposed to do 15-20 min of easy cardio. I use the elliptical. I also get bored shitless after 10 minutes. This is funny because about 4 years ago, I would go for 30 min at level 15, burn 600 calories (according to the machine), and then lift for about 10 minutes before leaving. I couldn't figure out why I was stuck at 240 for the longest time.

Now, I can't stand being on any cardio machine for more than 10 minutes (unless I'm doing HIIT, then time flies) and have to tear myself away from the weight room to get done.

Guess I've grown up a bit and still maintain a svelte 220lb frame.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #33
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Now, I can't stand being on any cardio machine for more than 10 minutes (unless I'm doing HIIT, then time flies) and have to tear myself away from the weight room to get done.
Cardio for lengthly times sucks on any machine....I do none in the gym....all outside either running or biking....plus I like intervals too....less muscle wasting...more intensity.......cardio tennis is always an option....
Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #34
Ron Nelson

I ran out of time before I finished that thought, which was exactly what you said. I get a bigger kick out of running HIIT on a track or doing bike sprints on my vintage trail bike. My neighborhood has a loop around it that measures exactly .5 miles, so doing several laps on the bike in intervals gets me some decent mileage.

So, yes, outdoors trumps boring indoor cardio every time. I also like to get my cardio playing basketball and soccer games.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #35
Ron Nelson

Metcon day. Really got a good one in. Mixed it up with front squats, chest supported rows, push presses, and one leg RDL's. I call it the "bang for your buck" metcon session.

After reading the T-Bag article by Chris Shooogert, I decided to mix in a high GI/amino/protein drink as a pre-during-post WO drink. In other words, I drank half of a pint of chocolate milk after warming up, sipped the rest during the WO and was supposed to drink the other pint after the WO. I decided to forgo the second pint this time until I move up the WO's to 3-4 times a week. Probably summer.

One thing I noticed right away was the fact that I'm not ravenously hungry after a WO. I also noticed more energy during the workout and shorter rest periods. This could be good for me even though I tolerate carbs like a sorority girl tolerates booze.

More to come.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #36
Ron Nelson

Did the metcon work last night using deadlifts, fat man pull ups, db military presses and a plate loaded walking lunge. Upped the weights and totally killed.

Still using the chocolate milk before and during the w/o. Not sure if it's working the way Biotest's product would and probably won't know because I'm a cheap bastard who'd rather spend his money on gambling and booze. I will say this, I'm the coolest cat in the gym walking around with a bottle of Nesquick. All those other suckers toting their Muscle Milk are fools. I laugh at them, heartily.

To be continued. . .

By the way, if anyone wants to send me a tub of the notmentioned Biotest product, I'll gladly try it and post results.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #37
Derek Simonds

Every night after BJJ I drink a 16 oz nesquik. I get really crazy and go with the lo fat version.

I have read several studies that have compared chocolate milk to commercial recovery drinks and chocolate milk wins.

The best thing for me is that no matter what city I am in there is always a convienence store that sells chocolate milk.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #38
Eva Claire Synkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I have read several studies that have compared chocolate milk to commercial recovery drinks and chocolate milk wins.
saw this the other day on the xf oakland site (although study from 06)- chocolate milk won again....although study "partially funded" by the dairy industry.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1342839.shtml

Last edited by Eva Claire Synkowski; 04-03-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: date of study
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #39
Ron Nelson

It's funny. I've read the articles on T-Mag about their products and how they aid recovery and always thought of trying them. Then, on CF, I find out that chocolate milk does the same thing, only cheaper.
Biotest product-$3.74 per lifting day.
Chocolate milk-$2.38 per lifting day (if I buy it pre bottled, about 1/3 of that if I make it at home).

Plus, I like chocolate milk. Always have.

I'll continue to post my results and impressions (I do a great Homer Simpson).

Old 04-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #40
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Then, on CF, I find out that chocolate milk does the same thing, only cheaper.
You can thank me later....now trying to get research to prove Beer is better...although those studies aren't going as planned....as we forget all about the workout, eat wings and then wake up on the floor...Hmmmmmm....might be the wings....